For all of us EF mount URSA and Pocket cams owners

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

For all of us EF mount URSA and Pocket cams owners

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 6:09 am

I see a lot of lenses coming out but none are for EF mounts anymore. Mostly, they are for RF, Sony E, and L mounts. Now I don’t think there will be any BM support for an RF or E mount lens but there are a lot of us URSA and Pocket 6K/6K G2, and 6K Pro owners with the EF mount. Surely there is the option of changing mounts to that of PL but owning PL lenses is a bit of a stretch financially. When I need to use PL lenses, I have to rent.. mostly when it is a paid gig. But with the advent of cheaper L-mount lenses coming about, could BMD provide a L-mount option for the URSA lines and the Pocket 6K lines as well? That will be very useful. If not, will there be any initiatives to have a EF camera to L mount lens adapter or whatever so we can use L mount lenses on our existing cameras? I would hope so.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

roger.magnusson

Re: For all of us EF mount URSA and Pocket cams owners

PostMon Mar 27, 2023 12:42 pm

The flange focal distance in the L-mount is 20mm. Almost as short as an MFT mount (19.25mm), so an EF camera to L-mount lens adapter isn't possible.

Not sure how short the URSA Mini mount system is, if they could add an L-mount to it.

Ellory Yu

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 5:24 am

roger.magnusson wrote:The flange focal distance in the L-mount is 20mm. Almost as short as an MFT mount (19.25mm), so an EF camera to L-mount lens adapter isn't possible.

Not sure how short the URSA Mini mount system is, if they could add an L-mount to it.

Okay, I understand. So how about a L-mount conversion kit for the Pocket 6K EF and the URSA Mini Pro G2 and 12K?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

timbutt2

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 6:37 am

There’s a decent amount of affordable PL glass coming out now. I’m more than happy I made the switch to PL. You can always rent the more expensive PL Cinema Lenses when the budget provides that option. But at least there’s affordable options for us to own lenses now.

Otherwise, the writing is on the wall. Canon has shifted away from EF. So, the likely solution is for Blackmagic to provide more mount options. I still wish that the Pocket 6K models came with a native PL option so I wouldn’t have to do that Wooden Camera Modification. But, alas, I did. At least the URSA Mini Pro line is interchangeable lens mount. I’d like to see more BMD cameras offer that.

Maybe we’ll get lucky with new models released at NAB this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

SalopFilms

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 7:38 am

Or looking at it another way, that there will be many more used EF lenses available and the prices will almost certainly drop which means more choice for glass with an EF mount :D :)

Nathan_H

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 7:40 am

L-Mount conversion for the pockets seems impossible due to body design.

A L-Mount for URSA G2 / 12K ? I don't know if it's possible with the ND but I think the lens would mount "inside" the camera, that doesn't seems ideal at all.

It's more likely to happen on a newer body design and it will be welcomed.

While PL has it's advantage, the new design of optic for mirorless, the M-mount glass etc are all super appealing now to toy around on lower tier project or when you want a nimble little camera with a Pocket and have some more choice for your lenses.

L-Mount URSA and L-Mount Pocket (square ?). Bring it on !
https://vimeo.com/nathanhenneton/showreel2019

Return to Cinematography