File transfer from Studio 6K Pro via network

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

davidanthoff

File transfer from Studio 6K Pro via network

PostWed Mar 29, 2023 10:52 pm

This is more of a feature idea :)

My understanding is that one can plug a Studio 6K Pro into a standard ethernet network (otherwise the remote stuff wouldn't work?). It would be awesome if one of the following two things would then work:
1) one could FTP (or some other file transfer protocol) into the camera and copy recorded files that are stored on an attached SSD via the network.
2) or even better, have the camera participate in this whole cloud process, i.e. the camera initially records onto an attached SSD, and then automatically uploads the recordings via the network either via Dropbox or something like that, or maybe just via FTP to an attached NAS (the Sony cameras do that).

In any case, one thing that is really wonderful about the BM cameras is that one can control them so well remotely, and if there was this one extra feature that one could copy recordings that they made onto an SSD via the network, it would really remove the need to access the cameras physically at all and would really allow some very nice new workflows.

Best,
David

aldenucci

Re: File transfer from Studio 6K Pro via network

PostWed May 10, 2023 9:27 am

Hello David, I was wondering a very similar thing - if we could connect the Studio Camera via the USB-C to a Cloud Store Mini or even a Cloud Store Pod w/ an SSD connected to the other port and have the footage sent automatically from the camera to a Dropbox/Google Drive folder.

davidanthoff

Re: File transfer from Studio 6K Pro via network

PostSat Sep 16, 2023 7:29 pm

They didn't mention this at all in the presentation, but if I am understanding the README for the Camera Update 8.2 correctly, then all the Studio cameras that have an ethernet port now support the first scenario I described above: one can record onto a USB attached disk that is directly attached to the camera, and then access that drive via a web interface, FTP or SMB via the network. If that all works as I think it does, that is amazing! And I am kind of surprised that this didn't get more publicity yet :)

And I guess the iPhone app and the URSA G2 are getting the automatic cloud upload. Wish that the studio cameras got that as well, but my best guess is that they won't because they can't record proxies (I think?) and that might be one of the things required for the automatic cloud sync story?

Return to Cinematography