URSA Broadcast G2 LCD accuracy

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

luisvalenzuela

URSA Broadcast G2 LCD accuracy

PostFri Apr 14, 2023 8:30 pm

Hello everyone. I have a couple of Broadcast G2's and I've noticed that the LCD white balance, brightness, and contrast do not match anything else. I am wondering if this is normal and the LCD is only meant for composition.

When I use an external monitor, the G2 LCD always looks "dull" when compared to a Shogun (SDI), Shogun Inferno (SDI), an older Marshall LCD (SDI), or even a regular TV (SDI to HDMI).

Playing back the footage on the G2 LCD, it does not match the same footage on a MacBook Pro screen, or a regular Windows laptop. In short: the G2 LCD looks different than any attached over SDI, or any recording playing on external displays.

Am I missing something? When I am on the field, I am unsure if I can trust what I see on the LCD, and both cameras behave this way. Using LUTS for display or recording make no difference. Everything is different.

Can the URSA Broadcast G2 be set as a regular video camera, so that what I see on the LCD is what I get on the recording? Or do I need to treat them as film cameras, shoot with a FILM dynamic range and LUT on Post?

Thanks for any insights.

jwbvideo

Re: URSA Broadcast G2 LCD accuracy

PostTue May 30, 2023 10:30 pm

I have experienced the exact same thing. I am also using the URSA Studio Viewfinder G2 and it looks very different than the LCD. I have tried to adjust the brightness and contrast on the Viewfinder to match the camera LCD and can't get them to match. I have been using the Viewfinder as reference instead of the LCD but would like to know which is more accurate to the final image.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:34 am

As far as our experience goes with the G1, none is accurate. And they look quite different, since it’s different technology.
Such limitations are the reason to have a ‚video village‘ on high-end productions with calibrated monitors in a tent.
But don’t worry, we are shooting RAW to have the chance to get things right in post. Changing daylight and mixed lighting will not let all shots match for one scene recorded over a few hours of work anyway.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rNeil H

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 3:17 am

I never trust a camera screen. Ever.

That's what meters, false colors, and histograms are for. And I use all three all the time.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography