Anyone Received a 12k OLPF?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Garth McElroy

Anyone Received a 12k OLPF?

PostSun May 07, 2023 8:20 am

I thought Blackmagic said the 12k OLPF would be available immediately. I've had one on pre order from B&H with no word on a shipping date. Anyone else received one yet?

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Anyone Received a 12k OLPF?

PostMon May 08, 2023 1:36 am

You can try contacting some of the smaller resellers. There is always a long line at B&H for new cameras.

I've gotten many of my BMD cameras from Norman Zelodon at Market Technology - HDDISK, usually a lot faster than I would have at the back of the B&H line.

http://www.hddisk.us.com

The website doesn't have much info, so it is best to call to make an order.

Just be aware that returns with smaller resellers are often not as flexible as with B&H, if you receive the camera and decide you don't want to keep it.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

FastFrame

PostMon May 08, 2023 1:53 pm

I ordered one from B&H on 04/21 and as of right now, still no word. About a week ago, I called B&H to follow up. The rep said they had not received any shipment on the new URSA 12k olpf. After that I called Blackmagic. And the rep there told me they have zero information on shipments.

It's kinda frustrating since at the NAB 2023, Grant said they're available immediately.

timbutt2

PostMon May 08, 2023 9:59 pm

Looks like Matteo Bertoli got one today: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYko5 ... PI8jw9nEQn
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

majoraxis

PostFri May 12, 2023 1:15 am

Hopefully there will be an upgrade path to the 12k OLPF from the 12k (besides selling the 12k and purchasing the UMP 12K OLPF...)

Garth McElroy

PostFri May 12, 2023 7:28 pm

I was able to order one from Markertek this afternoon. They had 1 in stock. Must just be a very limited supply of them right now.

rick.lang

PostFri May 12, 2023 7:53 pm

Congratulations, Garth. We’re holding our breath awaiting your findings.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostSat May 13, 2023 3:50 am

majoraxis wrote:Hopefully there will be an upgrade path to the 12k OLPF from the 12k (besides selling the 12k and purchasing the UMP 12K OLPF...)

Don’t think so. But why not get the RAWlite for yours? I don’t expect them to be worlds apart.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andreas Caemmerer

PostSat May 13, 2023 5:08 pm

Uli Plank wrote:
majoraxis wrote:Hopefully there will be an upgrade path to the 12k OLPF from the 12k (besides selling the 12k and purchasing the UMP 12K OLPF...)

Don’t think so. But why not get the RAWlite for yours? I don’t expect them to be worlds apart.

It seems Blackmagic is considering an upgrade option - @1:44:

Garth McElroy

PostSun May 14, 2023 9:45 am

I did receive the camera so they are out there. No new box or anything on branding on the camera. Just a sticker on the box that says OLPF model.

ShaheedMalik

PostSun May 14, 2023 10:21 am

Someone needs to compare this to the Rawlite.

rick.lang

PostSun May 14, 2023 1:24 pm

Garth McElroy wrote:... Just a sticker on the box that says OLPF model.

That’s one box that you’ll keep.
Rick Lang

Heystorer

PostSun May 14, 2023 7:38 pm

Why don’t they give pixel remapping ? Having 2 dead pixels feels like a shame to send in for such a simple task -_-

Any place to request features ?

ShaheedMalik

PostTue May 16, 2023 4:17 am

Heystorer wrote:Why don’t they give pixel remapping ? Having 2 dead pixels feels like a shame to send in for such a simple task -_-

Pixel remapping is on the Pocket 6k. Is it not on the 12k?

Heystorer

PostFri May 19, 2023 3:24 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:
Heystorer wrote:Why don’t they give pixel remapping ? Having 2 dead pixels feels like a shame to send in for such a simple task -_-

No there isn’t. Stinks.

John Brawley

PostFri May 19, 2023 6:48 pm

Heystorer wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:

No there isn’t. Stinks.

Like I explained to your many posts on Facebook.

Not every camera allows the user to do pixel ramaping.

For example, it's not available on any Arri camera at all. That's because it's specific to the design of the sensor itself.

And by the way, just because it doesn't allow the user to initiate it, doesn't mean it's not happening automatically, which is in fact what Arri and BMD do on some models.

So yeah, you have a different sensor than the pocket which does allow a user initialed hot pixel feature, like I explained in the pother places you've complained about this and just like I already posted there as well, have you tried taking this up with BMD service to see what they have to say?

I’d suggest what’s probably happing with your camera is the automatic remapping function isn’t working the way it should. Even if it had a manual remap function, you’d still have your problem. Just a guess but I suspect something else is going on that only BMD can really address.

I bet there are dozens of dead pixels on your camera that you never know about because the auto function is working. But for two pixels it isn’t.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Adam Langdon

PostSat May 20, 2023 12:05 pm

With the release of the Komodo X claiming an extra stop in the shadows, I’d love to see how the 12K OPLF stacks up against the KX.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostSat May 20, 2023 3:43 pm

I’d love to see how well BMD’s RGBWWW sensor technology would compare if BMD released a 6K Super 35 camera with double the sensor pitch to 4.4 microns to match the KOMODO X. Having four times the photon well with higher dynamic range may prove more important to me than their current 12K camera.

I’m very pleased with what I currently get from the original URSA Mini 4.6K with its 4.63 micron sensor photosites and lossless CinemaDNG. I understand the the 12K camera is superior in many ways of course, so a fat 6K Super 35 camera (like the Komodo X) with the RGBWWW technology seems it would be a winner.

What would BMD loose if they put all their eggs into a 6K basket? Okay the 8K market would be at risk you might think. Potentially less than a few percent of the market for them? Everyone would agree that 6K can produce gorgeous 4K deliverables and that market has to be several times larger than 8K deliverables (except perhaps for VFX).

But 8K is just a 2x superscale in DaVini Resolve and superscaling is only going to be smarter in the future and give results that emulate true 8K.

The ON1 stills editing software I use has always had pretty good upscaling for printing as an example. In June they’re releasing an enhanced AI Resize that makes their previous efforts look bad. They’re pickup on the trend in phone cameras to massage the images significantly as part of the phone’s image processing. So ON1’s enhanced AI Resize can produce a ‘better looking’ image than the small resolution stills original.

Resolve can apply the same enhanced AI superscale but for video so let’s not lose sleep if a camera only captures 6K instead of 12K.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostSat May 20, 2023 4:19 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:With the release of the Komodo X claiming an extra stop in the shadows, I’d love to see how the 12K OPLF stacks up against the KX.

I haven't used the KX but I have used the original Komodo a bunch.

I think they're totally different use cameras. It's hard to compare them really. One is a global shutter, the other is a totally unique RGBWWW sensor.

Let's start with the good. A lot of the good is also bad for me but here goes...

Pros
Global shutter (a killer feature if you need it)
Box shape
80FPS@6K
Locking RF mount
Current best media (CFe)
Good off-camera control with networking (and wifi)
Integrated battery

Cons
Box Shape (Terrible for anything but gimbal use)
Only 80FPS @6K (120 FPS@8K for 12k)
Only locking RF mount means you have to use an adaptor for anything else.
Integrated Vlock battery only. Once you use a larger battery or want to use your AB then you're into a kludge of adaptors.

For one thing, you can't really trust the DR claims RED make. All manufacturers are optimistic when they post about DR except for Arri but RED are especially so. You really can't believe anything that's claimed till you can actually shoot and compare.

I've also found that Komodo is AT BEST iso800, but it really wants to be shot a lot lower. I was shooting a show with DXL2 as the principal camera, and Komodo really struggled to keep up in terms of ISO. Obviously haven't shot KX yet so not sure what it's sweet spot will be.

Komodo is a box shape with the same terrible screen pointing at the SKY that's only good at best for camera settings (if you have good eyesight to read their tiny text on screen). It still only has a single SDI output, something that a lot of red users had been hoping wouldn't be the case again as there are many examples where the single SDI port on Komodo has failed and there's no easy way to work with your camera when that happens. At least they made it so you can direct connect a RED touch screen, a massive failing on the OG Komodo.

I just think you don't really use a Komodo or a 12K UMP in the same situations. They are targeting quite different users...

I think Komodo is a camera that at least is unique and offers options you can't get with anything else. For all the RED tactical machismo and the user base that goes with that, Komodo (and x) is the only camera they've made that actually gets close to their original brand promise.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tom Roper

PostSat May 20, 2023 6:22 pm

rick.lang wrote:
What would BMD loose if they put all their eggs into a 6K basket? Okay the 8K market would be at risk you might think. Potentially less than a few percent of the market for them? Everyone would agree that 6K can produce gorgeous 4K deliverables and that market has to be several times larger than 8K deliverables (except perhaps for VFX).

You would lose prestige. It would be an embarrassment. Right now BMD have an exclusive, Netflix approved cinema camera of the highest tier, sitting at the top for resolution and frame rates and internal raw, exclusive RGBWWW architecture. Arri already tried that. What did arguing for 2.8K versus unnecessary 4K get them? Banished from Netflix 4K Originals for one thing. And then the S35 tech came along and blew away the Alexa for IQ on all counts. No, you don't forfeit leading edge tech for ordinary utility and common formats. Instead, you build on your edge, improve on it. Make it better than everything previous. Because the second you discard your leading tech you create a vacuum that your competitors will use to embarrass you. In other words, you junk 8k-12k and make a mind blowing 6K camera, your best ever. Suddenly Red or Sony introduce their own 12k or 16k. Who's going to make the news? Your new 6K will go on the forgotten heap of cameras that never were. People are not buying 6K because it is better, but because it is cheaper. Not only BMD but Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji have all gone 8K for their top tier. Panasonic, is trying to make a comeback to MFT and finding it dead after leading the way with FF. You can never go back.

Jon Hustead

PostSat May 20, 2023 9:58 pm

I've been trying to figure out my next step from the G2 for a while now and actually got a preorder slot for the KX that I later canceled.

On reflection (and pricing out accessories) I decided that I was just grass is always greener-ing things and, even though I liked the Komodo more than I thought I would when I rented it, I don't like the box camera thing at all and once I accounted for accessories on a KX it was looking like $16k+ for a camera that's different and not better. To me, the image seemed roughly on par with the G2, with me preferring the G2 ever so slightly. But I vastly prefer the ergonomics of the Ursa Mini body, so why was I considering a jump to something that wasn't really an improvement in almost any area that mattered to me? The tiny little box was neat and would be handy in some ways, but most of the time I'd just be making it bigger to replicate stuff that's already in the Ursa Mini.

This is neither here nor there, but I also really hate the tactical bro vibe of Red so I'm kindof relieved to not be joining that world.

For the same money as a KX fully outfitted, I could upgrade to a 12k, and ALSO replace my b-cam with something more flexible to use with gigs that aren't suited to the 12k. I do wish there were many things different about the 12k, but at it's current price and having all of the accessories already it's a lot easier to accept its shortcomings for the time being. The calculus will of course be different for different situations and I think might be a lot different if you don't already have a stack of CFast cards.

FWIW related to the topic at hand, Abelcine told me their Blackmagic rep said a shipment was arriving in a couple weeks.
http://jonhustead.com

Adam Langdon

PostSat May 20, 2023 11:33 pm

Jon Hustead wrote: This is neither here nor there, but I also really hate the tactical bro vibe of Red so I'm kindof relieved to not be joining that world.

Haha, same. I owned a Komodo for a hot minute and inadvertently grew a soul patch.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostSun May 21, 2023 7:47 am

Thanks for those remarks, Tom. You’re probably right!
Rick Lang

WahWay

PostTue May 23, 2023 8:03 am

The RED Komodo was originally designed as a crash cam so its purpose is rather different to that of the UMP line. I know Jarred Land was impressed by the BMMCC which was also a crash/action cam when it first came out and bought one so who knows it may have partly inspired what to become the Komodo. The KX is a version of Komodo that is more of a full user cam so expect enhanced feature over the original Komodo.

Adam Langdon

PostThu May 25, 2023 5:25 pm

I recently saw a post on a Facebook group about BMD charging ~$650 to replace the OPLF in current 12k owners cameras.
Is there any way to confirm?

Uli Plank

PostFri May 26, 2023 1:47 am

What about contacting support?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

James SaintSurin

PostFri May 26, 2023 2:06 am

Adam Langdon wrote:I recently saw a post on a Facebook group about BMD charging ~$650 to replace the OPLF in current 12k owners cameras.
Is there any way to confirm?

Its true, I received one this morning also.

Trying to see if I can get a client to flip that bill. 8-)
Helping Creatives Create
https://www.saintmediapro.com/

Bme films

PostFri May 26, 2023 2:33 am

They confirmed it!

Adam Langdon

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 11:27 pm

Can anyone compared a rawlite 12k to an 12k OLPF?
I can get a decent price on a used 12k and then install the rawlite, but if there is an incentive to paying for a brand new 12k OPLF…

Bme films

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 6:32 am

Adam Langdon wrote:Can anyone compared a rawlite 12k to an 12k OLPF?
I can get a decent price on a used 12k and then install the rawlite, but if there is an incentive to paying for a brand new 12k OPLF…

the difference is less than $200. mine is on its way back. sent it out Monday, will have it back on
Monday!

Return to Cinematography