Canon COMPACT-SERVO 18-80MM T4.4 EF Lens

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ddrago

Canon COMPACT-SERVO 18-80MM T4.4 EF Lens

PostTue May 09, 2023 12:39 am

Hello,

I'm new here... Can someone please tell me if the Canon COMPACT-SERVO 18-80MM T4.4 EF Lens mounted on the Blackmagic Studio 6K Pro Camera can be controlled by the Magic Remote Camera control unit?

Thank you in advance.

Danhy Drago

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: Canon COMPACT-SERVO 18-80MM T4.4 EF Lens

PostTue May 09, 2023 10:06 pm

This lens can be totally controlled from the camera with the Blackmagic Zoom Demand and Focus Demand or from the camera via an ATEM switcher remotely.

You need to have the switches on the lens in the correct position but as long as they are for focus, iris and zoom servos then yes it can be controlled from the Studio Camera 6K Pro.

As of Camera 8.1.1 even from the Studio Camera 4K Pro, Pro G2 and Plus models can control zoom on this lens via Metabones mount adapters or speed boosters (as long as the Metabones is on firmware 3.9 or above)

ddrago

PostTue May 09, 2023 10:13 pm

Tim,

Thank you very much for your response!

Danhy

RicG@PCC

PostTue May 30, 2023 7:27 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:This lens can be totally controlled from the camera with the Blackmagic Zoom Demand and Focus Demand or from the camera via an ATEM switcher remotely.

You need to have the switches on the lens in the correct position but as long as they are for focus, iris and zoom servos then yes it can be controlled from the Studio Camera 6K Pro.

We have this lens on an URSA Mini Pro 4.2K we're using in combination with two URSA Broadcast G2s and an ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio and are having problems with the lens communicating with the camera and switcher. I figured out that we have to run a 12G SDI into the camera for control by the ATEM, but I am having trouble finding the switch positions on the lens to let it talk to the camera for iris control. I'm assuming that if I can establish communication between camera and lens, I will be able to shading from the ATEM software.

We also have the Canon ZSGT-C10 Zoom Grip for the lens, but now I am wondering if this is helping or hurting the situation. I'm coming under a bit of pressure to get this to work for an upcoming production.

Any help would be welcome!
Thanks,
Ric
--
Please, if you refer to the user manual instead of replying with the solution, please use chapter and section, not page number. BMD updates its manuals regularly and page numbers change. Thanks!!

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 30, 2023 10:13 pm

Iris switch needs to be set to 'A' in order for our iris control to work from the camera... otherwise the physical iris ring on the outside of the lens is for manual control of the iris like a manual cinema lens.

Focus needs to be set to 'AF'

Zoom needs to be set to 'Servo' on the handgrip.

That should do it.

The Blackmagic Zoom Demand and Blackmagic Focus Demand won't work with the 4.6K G2 but all of these controls from the camera or from the ATEM switcher should work.

Return to Cinematography