From Canon 5d mkiii to bmpcc6kpro

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Re: From Canon 5d mkiii to bmpcc6kpro

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 1:34 am

You asked: „personal preference on what make/model "28mm on a Pocket 6K" you prefer?“

For me it’s the Zeiss C/Y 28mm f2, but I was lucky to buy one early enough, when it was still affordable.
These days, you may consider the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. It’s close regarding color, I can match them easily in post (I don’t own the 21mm Zeiss), even if micro-contrast is not exactly Zeiss.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Brahmulus

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 2:15 am

rNeil H wrote:There are several remote controlled focusers in a wide variety of pricing. Typically you use a tablet to tap what you want the focusing device to do. You should get a whole selection of them discussed here.

OK, this will be my next order of business once I lock down a proper cam/lens pairing.

rNeil H wrote:Many movies worked hard on set building and lighting, plus angle/composition, to control eye direction. And worked with as large a DOF as possible simply to keep from blowing scenes. Cost too much to reshoot.

Well nothing controls eye direction better than only having the thing you want eyes on in focus, but I hear you on the other reasoning. I think this is where the two sides of the brain battle. Where the nauseating dance between art and dollars begins. And where some of the mavericks that inspire me would go rogue and get the shots they wanted, in camera, with reckless abandon :)

---

Uli Plank wrote:For me it’s the Zeiss C/Y 28mm f2, but I was lucky to buy one early enough, when it was still affordable.

EF mount? I wanna stick with primes so I still might investigate this, thanks.

---

Lastly, even though I am the one asking for input, I am going to recommend everyone read this aforementioned article if they haven't (https://vmi.tv/blog/learn-help/guide-to ... s-formats/).

Most poignant is that a XXmm is not a XXmm is not a XXmm UNLESS they are designed specifically for the format/sensor. Search for the section with "In the examples below, you can see how three 25mm lenses designed for different formats"

This was a huge mindf*ck for me, a hurdle I needed to jump, a message I needed to decode admittedly through a bit of noise being created here. I was sensing this, but being dissuaded, but now reconfirmed. Anyway, point is this was what I needed to pursue the right pairing. I have a clear path now, but still need to identify the real world available right now hardware that fits the described bill.

I've said it before I'll say it again, thanks all.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 2:28 am

You can use a narrow adapter ring or a Leitax, it’s easy to adapt C/Y to EF. But that lens is photo FF, even if some nickname it Hollywood for a reason.

So, the Sigma might be the better one for you. I swear it’s as sharp as any set of primes in the range, and you’ll be hard pressed to find faster ones.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rNeil H

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 4:29 am

You should have done some view camera shooting! You had to pay attention to both field of view *and* lens coverage circles to choose a lens.

If you were needing shifts, tilts, or tips of one or both standards, you needed a lens with very wide coverage. Which of course were more expensive, especially if you wanted or needed high image Q to the edges of that coverage.

So one had to pay close attention to both "sides" of any lens, both the FOV and image circles or "coverage".

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ryan Earl

PostThu Jun 15, 2023 8:17 pm

Uli Plank wrote:For me it’s the Zeiss C/Y 28mm f2, but I was lucky to buy one early enough, when it was still affordable.

I have the Zeiss CP.2 28mm, there is also the Zeiss 28mm ZE for Canon EF which is much cheaper on eBay right now. I've never done a comparison between the various Zeiss 28mm. The CP line made the most sense to me because of swapping the mount and the lens gears.
Previous

Return to Cinematography