BMCC Still Freezing

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

michaelxbarakat

BMCC Still Freezing

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 am

So earlier I posted about the BMCC Freezing on a client shoot just last weekend. I couldn't have that so I shipped the SSD back to the eBay seller and bought a brand new one off amazon for 400 dollars after being assured that I was having SSD card failures. So today I got the SSD and decided to make sure it would record continuous. So I formatted the SSD (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) and put it in my BMCC and hit record, first it stopped at 2 minutes, then 5 seconds, then recorded all the way to 9 minutes and froze. This is a brand new memory card so I don't understand how this can be happening. Any ideas? Could it be the BMCC doing this? If so I need to ship it back asap and get a new one. Unacceptable from B&H to send me a faulty product when it's a lot of money to fork over...

PLEASE HELP.

P.S. it can't be the camera overheating because I put it on it's side so the fan wouldn't be affected by being in an enclosed space.

LoganStewartDP

Re: BMCC Still Freezing

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 am

ummm...send it in?
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:25 am

streetlightmedia wrote:ummm...send it in?

I'm afraid this is what I'll have to do.... This is ridiculous. The shipping cost alone is going to be outrageous and I certainly will not pay for it. Hopefully I can make a good argument to B&H so they can pay for shipping and ship one out overnight.

LoganStewartDP

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:29 am

michaelxbarakat wrote:

I'm afraid this is what I'll have to do.... This is ridiculous. The shipping cost alone is going to be outrageous and I certainly will not pay for it. Hopefully I can make a good argument to B&H so they can pay for shipping and ship one out overnight.

How long ago did you buy it? I finally just got around to sending mine into blackmagic to have the sensor roll fixed and it cost around $30 to ship it insured for $1000 ups told me anything over $1000 has to go by air so I was super nervous. However after getting it back it was still there so they paid for the second round of shipping. Just got it back and its fixed enough. Still not perfect but no one would ever notice unless I pointed it out and pixel peeped. If it's still within a month or two I'd yell at B&H about them sending you a faulty product.
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:34 am

streetlightmedia wrote:
michaelxbarakat wrote:

How long ago did you buy it? I finally just got around to sending mine into blackmagic to have the sensor roll fixed and it cost around $30 to ship it insured for $1000 ups told me anything over $1000 has to go by air so I was super nervous. However after getting it back it was still there so they paid for the second round of shipping. Just got it back and its fixed enough. Still not perfect but no one would ever notice unless I pointed it out and pixel peeped. If it's still within a month or two I'd yell at B&H about them sending you a faulty product.

Bought it January 7th and haven't even used it because it hasn't been letting me shoot, plus sending a memory card back and buying a new one, but it can't be the memory card at this point. Sucks. If I sent it back to B&H that's 30 dollars I don't have at this point because most of my money has been invested into this camera plus accessories. Beginning to believe it's just not worth it anymore for all of this. But worth it for the images it produces so I still want it.

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 2:43 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:I know this is an obvious question Michael, but are you using the recommended and approved SSD drives?

Or forgot to mention that! Sorry, I am using the ScanDisk Extreme SSD drive 480GB the one suggested from blackmagic themselves.

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 am

Geoff Baxter wrote:Yep, well that pretty much eliminates the SSD as an issue.

Yes Indeed. I am going to just have to ship it back and get a new one. I've only had it 20 days and haven't been able to use it. Sad, but at least I finally know it's not an SSD issue.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Is it the SanDisk Extreme 480GB(SDSSDX-480G-G25) or the SanDisk Extreme 2 480GB(SDSSDXP-480G)?

The last I've heard about the SSD approval list is correct but make sure it's the original Extreme as that's the one as of now that's been approved.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

michaelxbarakat

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Is it the SanDisk Extreme 480GB(SDSSDX-480G-G25) or the SanDisk Extreme 2 480GB(SDSSDXP-480G)?

The last I've heard about the SSD approval list is correct but make sure it's the original Extreme as that's the one as of now that's been approved.

Hey Tony, it is the original ScanDisk that has been approved by blackmagic. Thanks for the response!

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:49 pm

Well then, it sounds like there could be something wrong with the camera. I would call in and talk to one of the support people to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Quick edit to this:

I also forgot to mention maybe trying reformatting the SSD another way and see if you get the same results.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Cinematography