A safe monitor for the Ursa Mini Pro.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robert Hart

A safe monitor for the Ursa Mini Pro.

PostMon May 22, 2023 6:56 pm

Compared to the Ursa Mini 4.6K and the original big" Ursa, the LCD screen on the Mini Pro is rather small and I find myself going a bit cross-eyed from studying it closely after a while.

I have been toying with the idea of adding a monitor on a Noga arm for chasing aeroplanes. The side- viewfinder is handy but constantly adjusting for higher overhead follows becomes a chore which can throw one off the follow.

One of the wrecks that I built a working camera from had a lattice-looking panel full of attachment points attached to the right side cover. It looks like it could be a more robust attachment point than the top handle and would leave the top handle free.

Anecdotes over time that I have read suggest that some monitors and the Mini Pro do not play nice together and burn out circuits in the camera.

If anyone has a recommendation or two as to "safe" monitors which will not annihilate the camera, advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
URSA WITH PLATE ON SIDE.jpg
URSA WITH PLATE ON SIDE.jpg (234.48 KiB) Viewed 910 times

rick.lang

Re: A safe monitor for the Ursa Mini Pro.

PostMon May 22, 2023 8:14 pm

Robert, have you considered the Blackmagic Video Assist 7” 12G?
Rick Lang

Jon Hustead

PostMon May 22, 2023 8:25 pm

I've heard of other folks burning ports out, but I've never had an issue with mine — is it like the Komodo where it's an issue of powering and connecting order?

For me, I had a G1 and now have a G2, and for have used: Atomos Shinobi 5" SDI, SmallHD 702 Lite, SmallHD Cine 7, and SmallHD 702 Touch.
http://jonhustead.com

Adam Langdon

PostMon May 22, 2023 9:46 pm

My 702 Touch has worked great with my Ursa Mini’s over the years.
I powered it through the front 12v port without issues. Made a special cable for the connectors.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

ShaheedMalik

PostTue May 23, 2023 12:00 am

Jon Hustead wrote:I've heard of other folks burning ports out, but I've never had an issue with mine — is it like the Komodo where it's an issue of powering and connecting order?

For me, I had a G1 and now have a G2, and for have used: Atomos Shinobi 5" SDI, SmallHD 702 Lite, SmallHD Cine 7, and SmallHD 702 Touch.

Yes.

The best way to avoid it is to power from the same dtap splitter going to the same battery. Have all the cables connected before power up.

Howard Roll

PostTue May 23, 2023 2:51 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:
Jon Hustead wrote:I've heard of other folks burning ports out, but I've never had an issue with mine — is it like the Komodo where it's an issue of powering and connecting order?

Yes.

The best way to avoid it is to power from the same dtap splitter going to the same battery. Have all the cables connected before power up.

This is not what Red or Arri recommend. The power should be applied before connecting the SDI and Dtap should be avoided altogether in favor of properly shielded Lemo connectors.

Good Luck

robert Hart

PostTue May 23, 2023 11:31 am

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I recently experienced the use of a monitor during a music vid shoot which was filmed with Canon DSLR-style cams. Nearly all of it was shot with an agile camera by another operator.

My task was to use a camera on a tripod as a back up to the agile footage and pick off bits and pieces I observed. Compared with the little viewscreen on the Canon the monitor made life so much easier. It also had some sort of a built-in near-enough LUT versus the unsaturated image on the Canon screen.

I had previously used the big touch screens on the SI2K and have missed using those since but they cannot be used on the BM cams.

The bonus experience was a long zoom white-coloured lens which was very crisp. Such is way outside of my meagre budget but a delight to drive compared to the Sigma in the posted image.

Slightly offtopic, here is the music video. The shoot was a delight to be on as it was very organised and had a good vibe.

ShaheedMalik

PostTue May 23, 2023 11:45 am

Howard Roll wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:

Yes.

This is not what Red or Arri recommend. The power should be applied before connecting the SDI and Dtap should be avoided altogether in favor of properly shielded Lemo connectors.

Good Luck

I'm talking about Blackmagic.

Return to Cinematography