Video Assist Camera Control | Arri Monitor Control

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

PostThu May 25, 2023 12:51 pm

I've been asking for the Video Assists to have Camera Control since 2019 roughly. Well Arri just released a new monitor for their Arri Cameras that does exactly what I want BMD to do with their Video Assists:

Now, Arri partnered with SmallHD on this monitor. But watching the full breakdown on the new monitor video you get a good view on what makes this new monitor so well designed. Arri really thought threw each feature and design choice regarding this monitor.

I hope Blackmagic is paying attention and listening because this kind of functionality in the Video Assists would be great for use with Blackmagic Cameras.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

jallen0

Re: Video Assist Camera Control | Arri Monitor Control

PostThu May 25, 2023 1:11 pm

Sadly I am losing faith in Blackmagic listening to anything regarding the cinema side of their business.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

rick.lang

PostThu May 25, 2023 1:26 pm

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/05/25/ ... tor-ccm-1/

Read the review by Matthew Allard for NewsShooter. Impressive functionality but not perfect design. 1300 nits is about half of the 2500 nits on the BMVA12G7. In the many other monitors Matt cites in his review, I don’t think he included the BMVA12G7 at all. He questions whether 1300 nits is bright enough: of course it’s good but not in all light situations regardless of what is claimed.

But Tim is rightfully noting the impressive camera control; however full capabilities are only supported with the CoaXPress cable.

“If you are not familiar with a CoaXPress cable, it features a spring-loaded locking collar like a Lemo connector but is not keyed which almost makes it a hybrid between a Lemo and a BNC. It is the cable that is used with the ARRI MVF-2 viewfinder.

ARRI hasn’t just made the monitor proprietary as it still features SDI In/Out ports as well as a Lemo power option. This is handy if you want to use it with other ARRI cameras or any other camera for that matter. However, you won’t get full camera control without the CoaXpress cable. You will get some limited camera control when using the monitor through an SDI connection. For this reason, I don’t personally see anyone buying it who isn’t using an ALEXA 35 or ALEXA Mini LF.”
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:24 pm

Rick, thank you for sharing that review. That is a bit disappointing considering he price. But nonetheless the principle is what I want to get in front of Blackmagic.

Mainly that we don’t care if a Video Assist has on monitor recording, but instead added functionality to the Blackmagic Cameras. So Camera Control is a great addition. I’d love for it to be wireless as that opens up more flexibility.

So keep the HDR Video Assists high nits. Integrate a great sun hood design. Allow us to control the camera via the touch screen interface. And let us shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostThu May 25, 2023 7:24 pm

Yes, that would be a great improvement for the device that’s gone several years in its present design. I use it every shoot because it has the most precise scopes.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography