Camera(s) Do Not Power Up properly since firmware update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

thecoach2000

Camera(s) Do Not Power Up properly since firmware update

PostSat May 27, 2023 9:29 am

2 issues since the new 8.1.1 firmware update and I’m looking for tech feedback or solutions…if any??
I am using 3, BM6k cameras. 2 Pro 6ks (purchased at different times and form different vendors) and 1 older 6k. I’ve been using them for 2-4 years and 100s of hours on a variety of doc series. 2 have had their entire internal board replaced by BM and now they all have the current software/firmware updates (May 2023).
ISSUE #1
Since the update ALL the cameras randomly will not TURN ON. Just a black screen.
Sometimes the power light indicator is not even illuminated. Showing that no power is going to the camera.
I use V-lock batteries with a Kondor Blue (regulated) D-Tap hub. The cameras are powered by the hub directly from the regulated top power tap. The cameras worked flawlessly before the firmware upgrade. Now 20% of the time the cameras will not power up. I must turn off the camera, let it sit for 30 seconds, disconnect cables, and try again. Sometimes that works the first time, but it may take 3-4 attempts.
I have replaced the cables.
I have connected cables directly into the battery, bypassing the Kondor Blue power hub.
I have tried different V-Lock batteries.
There is NO internal battery in the camera.
This random anomaly happens every time.
Any solutions or bug fixes in the future?

ISSUE #2
I use Tentacle Timecode boxes on all 3 cameras. 2 older versions and 1 newer version. And prior to the new firmware update I never had any issues with TC or EXT TC.
Randomly on power up, the cameras will show 00:00:00:00 on the TC display. Even though they are getting TC from the Tentacle system. This will happen randomly throughout the day of shooting.
Pulling the TC mini cable and plugging it back in does not fix the issue. Or turning the Tentacle box off/on does not fix the issue.
The only solution is to power down and restart the camera. 98% of the time this will fix the issue of the camera not reading the Ext TC. However, combined with issue #1 this can turn into a location nightmare when shooting!!! It sometimes takes 1-10 minutes to turn on 1 camera!!! NEVER HAPPENED prior to the new firmware update!

Does anyone have any valid insight, fixes, or similar issues?

Jonathan Evans

Re: Camera(s) Do Not Power Up properly since firmware update

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 6:57 am

You don't mention in your post whether the cameras are BMD Pocket Cinema 6k, but on that basis that they are then the 8.1.1 update was not for them and the most recent firmware was 7.9.1 from 28 July 2022. Were your cameras working with that software? If so nothing has changed. You could try rolling back to an older (older than 7.9.1 firmware, that is) and see if your cameras work again.

**** My mistake: 8.1 did update the Pocket cameras. So V8 would be the roll back point.
Last edited by Jonathan Evans on Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 6:02 am

I feel with you. And you already did a lot of systematic error checking.
A few thoughts for further testing:

If I read your description correctly you are feeding the camera from your V-Mount via a battery adapter into the battery compartment, right? Can you test if the issue persists when you feed the power to the power input on the left side? That would be the recommended way of feeding power from a V-mount battery. If you have no cable you could test with the camera’s power supply.

The Tentacles have auto sensing of if they need to feed line or mic. My guess would be that there is a problem with this in combination with the camera’s 3.5 mm port. You probably feed audio into the XLRs and have the 3.5 mm input not routed. So maybe there is an auto-negotiation problem between both devices on the input level. You could set the output level of the tentacles to manual and line or mic and see if that fixes the issue.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

thecoach2000

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 6:33 am

Thank you for the reply.

To clarify, I am using 2 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K PRO digital cameras + 1 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K digital camera. I have shot 800 hours on these cameras with no power "on" issues.

I am feeding D tap from a Kondor Blue "regulated" power hub into the left side Power Input not inoto a "dummy" battery adapter. I used this same configuration on 3 previous 3 week shoots over the past year and it only started with the latest firmware update.

I have gone direct from the Battery to the Power via a D-Tap and the issue remains.

I'll roll back the firmware on one of my cameras and see if that remedies the issues.

The tentacle issue I know is common with many cameras But once again...it's only been happening with the most recent firmware update.

Howard Roll

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 1:34 pm

The last update for Pocket cameras was 8.1. Downgrade and see if that works.

Good Luck

Return to Cinematography