No Iris control on Canon EF lens with latest 8.1 firmware

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

mswinert

No Iris control on Canon EF lens with latest 8.1 firmware

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 1:55 am

updated BMDPCC 6k camera firmware to 8.1.1 and now I have no iris control with my Canon 50mm 1:1.2 L USM prime lens. Other lenes work fine. I can get it to work with BMDPCC by mounting it on my Canon 5D then mounting it to the BMDPCC while on. As soon as I power cycle the BMDPCC with the lens still on, I lose iris control again.

edu_falcao

Re: No Iris control on Canon EF lens with latest 8.1 firmwar

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 8:51 pm

On 8.1.1 too!
Few sigma lens stop working after firmware update. Since i downgrade to 8.0 firmware all is working.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 10:43 pm

Here work fine with sigma art 50 1.4, 18-35 1.8
Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8, Canon ef 70-200 is II 2.8
Two different pocket6k G1

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Holger.Kura

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 1:53 pm

Hello Blackmagic Support,

any news on this problem yet? My Canon 50mm f/1.2l doesn't work either on a 6k pro. No iris and no autofocus. All after the update 8.1. Need a solution for the lens problem immediately!

many thanks and best regards

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 9:00 am

Holger.Kura wrote:Hello Blackmagic Support,

any news on this problem yet? My Canon 50mm f/1.2l doesn't work either on a 6k pro. No iris and no autofocus. All after the update 8.1. Need a solution for the lens problem immediately!

downgrade firmware, and you have back all

Holger.Kura

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 12:50 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:

Isn't it advisable to always use the latest version to minimize bugs and get the latest features?

The latest software I find the compresses of BRAW better....

Gesendet von meinem SM-N986B mit Tapatalk

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 1:14 pm

Holger.Kura wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:

Isn't it advisable to always use the latest version to minimize bugs and get the latest features?

No, not ever, the great of BMD is that you can go up and down on firmware, and if you see on release note, there is'nt so revolutionary difference, just vertical menu in latest firmware, but if not work with your lens, is better to go back.
until 8.1.1 wasn't out the previous firmware was good for you, why now it is worst for you?

Holger.Kura

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 1:52 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Holger.Kura wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:[quote="Holger.Kura"]Hello Blackmagic Support,

No, not ever, the great of BMD is that you can go up and down on firmware, and if you see on release note, there is'nt so revolutionary difference, just vertical menu in latest firmware, but if not work with your lens, is better to go back.
until 8.1.1 wasn't out the previous firmware was good for you, why now it is worst for you?[/quote]That's right. Let's hope I don't even need vertical format and a Canon 1:1.2l

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 3:07 pm

Holger.Kura wrote:That's right. Let's hope I don't even need vertical format and a Canon 1:1.2l

i shoot vertical with pockets from pocket4k without vertical menu ;-D
to me reability is more important than latest firmware.

Holger.Kura

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 3:34 pm

thats true. Nevertheless, BM must have the versioning under Controll. Different lenses and functions must not be version-dependent. That is already a big mistake in the development, which must not happen. The compatibility of the lenses must not deteriorate. The workaround works, but should not become the standard.

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:12 pm

Holger.Kura wrote:thats true. Nevertheless, BM must have the versioning under Controll. Different lenses and functions must not be version-dependent. That is already a big mistake in the development, which must not happen. The compatibility of the lenses must not deteriorate. The workaround works, but should not become the standard.

i'm agree with you, sometimes they add optimization for lens managment, and this coudl broke someother, remember that unfortunately canon EF is not documented standard, but all is reverse engeneering from every brand (except for Red that collaborate with canon from many years), and this mean you could find some strange issue randomly.
have you checked if canon had some firmware update for your lens? may be :-D

John Brawley

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:16 pm

The problem with EF is that it’s not a managed standard.

Canon don’t share or publish official protocols.

Everyone is basically reverse engineering or hacking the protocols except a couple of lens makers.

So if canon do a firmware update for their cameras that changes the EF protocols. Guess what happens.

On top of that a lot of people are using adaptors that also are using the same hacked comms and not everyone agrees on what functions should do what.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Holger.Kura

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:28 pm

John Brawley wrote:The problem with EF is that it’s not a managed standard.

Everyone is basically reverse engineering or hacking the protocols except a couple of lens makers.

So if canon do a firmware update for their cameras that changes the EF protocols. Guess what happens.

On top of that a lot of people are using adaptors that also are using the same hacked comms and not everyone agrees on what functions should do what.

JB
If it worked perfectly before the new release, it's hard for me to blame the manufacturer of the EF lens. The lens works with another camera. If BM can't guarantee that, they have to provide a list of compatible lenses. If these are only individual EF objects, the buyer can decide for himself whether he wants to use this brand or not.

Just my 2 Cents...

John Brawley

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 4:35 pm

Holger.Kura wrote:
John Brawley wrote:The problem with EF is that it’s not a managed standard.

JB
If it worked perfectly before the new release, it's hard for me to blame the manufacturer of the EF lens. The lens works with another camera. If BM can't guarantee that, they have to provide a list of compatible lenses. If these are only individual EF objects, the buyer can decide for himself whether he wants to use this brand or not.

Just my 2 Cents...

I just know it’s not as easy as that.

It might have worked but changing something to make another lens or adaptor works breaks what already works.

It’s all a Jenga kludge to make it all work.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Playroom

PostThu Jun 29, 2023 9:15 pm

I just discovered the same problem, NO IRIS CONTROL ON MY BMPCC 6K PRO, with my Tokina 11-20 EF lens. My Sigma works fine. It almost cost me a shoot but luckily I brought my iPhone gimbal LOL. PLEASE FIX THIS BLACKMAGIC! Thank you :)

fscott

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 11:39 pm

Okay, this is a bit crazy. My Canon 100-400 4.6L (gen 1) was giving no iris control, no focus, and no lens stabilization. Effectively the lens was not turned on. This is on a BMPCC 6K g2 with firmware 8.1. I downgraded using the 8.0 updater (which seems to install 7.9.1) and the lens works perfectly. Please BM, whatever changed, please put it back. (and thanks to other users here for pointing me in the right direction)

Another advantage of rolling back is to get DNG stills. I don't really know what to do with braw stills (I know that if you shoot prores you can still get DNG stills, but I would forget to turn it back to braw). I'm happy to have braw stills, but I need a semi-automated work flow like camera raw!

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 12:16 pm

Similar issue for the Pocket 4K. I’m using a Viltrox speed booster though. So hard to know if it’s more compatibility lost with the lens or the adapter.

Ellory Yu

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 1:16 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Here work fine with sigma art 50 1.4, 18-35 1.8
Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8, Canon ef 70-200 is II 2.8
Two different pocket6k G1
Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

All my above lenses, including the Sigma 17-50 2.8 works just fine on the original P6K with 18.1.1.
That's curious why some have problems while others have none. Maybe try not to update your electronic lenses or do it less often as BM might be testing on lenses that are not regularly updated - which to me is just fine. I doubt any manufacturers these days are providing firmware updates for EF lenses so that's a good thing.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Steve@Aberdeen

PostMon Aug 07, 2023 2:01 pm

fscott wrote:Okay, this is a bit crazy. My Canon 100-400 4.6L (gen 1) was giving no iris control, no focus, and no lens stabilization. Effectively the lens was not turned on. This is on a BMPCC 6K g2 with firmware 8.1. I downgraded using the 8.0 updater (which seems to install 7.9.1) and the lens works perfectly. Please BM, whatever changed, please put it back. (and thanks to other users here for pointing me in the right direction)

Another advantage of rolling back is to get DNG stills. I don't really know what to do with braw stills (I know that if you shoot prores you can still get DNG stills, but I would forget to turn it back to braw). I'm happy to have braw stills, but I need a semi-automated work flow like camera raw!

I've had my PCC6kG2 for around 6 months and hadn't even tried my 100-400 lens (my 16-35 and 24-105 lens cover all I've wanted so far - and both work fine); just put it on and, as you say, no iris control, no focus and no IS activation. Still usable with a bit care, but a kludge.
I also agree with your comment on the loss of DNG stills, unless recording in ProRes. One of the features that added a plus to my choice of the camera was the ready ability to shoot stills - it still can, but BRAW ones are not ideal (unless Apple can add BRAW to macOS formats so I can edit them in my usual stills editor. I've not rolled back, but it's tempting.

I still have a problem with my EVF - indoors I can use both the EVF and back screen; outdoors, the screen switches off whether or not I'm using the EVF. Covering the EVF doesn't make a difference (as I wouldn't expect it too), neither does shining a torch onto the EVF light sensor. Deep shade will sometimes restore the screen (as will moving indoors again). Weird - my outdoors workflow now involves ensuring I've done all the necessary recording configuration before setting foot outside. If I forget something, the EVF has to come off to sort it. If I'm working on a tripod, the EVF can come off for the shoot, but I prefer the EVF when handheld.
16" MacBookPro (2021; M1Pro; 16GB RAM)
DV Resolve Studio 18...
BMPCC 6kG2
Canon 5D MkII
Canon EF lenses (mainly 16-35mm1:28L II, and 24-105mm 1:$L for the BM)
Definitely an amateur - trying to do my best for local groups & charities

Gabi Bucataru

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 9:26 pm

Same issue here (no iris) with a Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens with the latest camera firmware 8.2 on a pocket 6k Pro.

Downgraded to firmware 8.0, which curiously becomes 7.9.1 on the camera, the iris and autofocus suddenly works.

Please fix this in the next firmware update, BM.

Thank you!
Resolve 18.6.2 Studio * WIN10 Pro 64-bit * intel core i7-7700K CPU 4.20Ghz * 32 Gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti *

Return to Cinematography