BRAW Still - What software do you use?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 4:12 pm

After updating to camera 8.1, the stills are no longer in CDNG and they are BRAW. I liked CDNG since I am able to use Photoshop or Affinity for working on them. What pro still software are you using with the BRAW format? Is there any pro software that, besides DVR, supports BRAW still?
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

HykCIne

Re: BRAW Still - What software do you use?

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 8:48 am

Photoshop or Lightroom don't support BRAW right?

But is there any hope that they will update in the future.
Z Cam E2-F6 Pro / Tokina 11-20 / Canon 17-55 / Sigma 18-35 / Sigma 50-100 /

carlomacchiavello

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 10:00 am

I have a workflow to manage Blackmagic Design still from braw from many years

1) resolve to select and extract with export frame
2) manage color balance and exposure from resolve
3) export tiff 16bit
4) edit framing in capture one and later in photoshop if need

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 10:31 am

similar to Carlo

Braw from camera to Resolve, managed and graded in Resolve and exported as 16-bit tiff, then can go to Photoshop.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

John Griffin

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 12:25 pm

It's arguable that the grading tools in Resolve are better than those in any stills editing software so you really don't need anything else.

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 1:52 pm

Rather than using BRAW stills that are not supported by ON1:
Just finished grading production DNG stills for a client in ON1 that were captured as DNG on the iPhone 14 Pro. There’s still some shutter delay after hitting the shutter button on the phone but it’s more predictable that the stills shutter release on the BMPCC4K.

If you’re extracting stills from your video, you at least get the precise moment you want and can use Resolve, but using a photo editor can also have advantages including many more options for preset looks or image adjustments.
Rick Lang

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 12:28 am

rick.lang wrote:Rather than using BRAW stills that are not supported by ON1:
Just finished grading production DNG stills for a client in ON1 that were captured as DNG on the iPhone 14 Pro. There’s still some shutter delay after hitting the shutter button on the phone but it’s more predictable that the stills shutter release on the BMPCC4K.

Rick, there is no DNG with 18.1 anymore, hence my inquiry here. Yes, I can use an IPhone however, flimsy as the shutter button is on the Pocket, there are times when I’m on a roll and just want to take a still in between recordings.

rick.lang wrote:If you’re extracting stills from your video, you at least get the precise moment you want and can use Resolve, but using a photo editor can also have advantages including many more options for preset looks or image adjustments.

That’s true, but it is my understanding that the still has much more pixel resolution that the video which is 6K at best. Am I wrong?

Why can’t BMD just leave CDNG for stills in their firmware and set it as an option to either BRAW or CDNG in the menu? This might be wishful thinking on my end. :(
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 3:47 am

Would be a reasonable feature request.
But why do you expect a still to have more resolution?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

rick.lang

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 4:44 am

Ellory Yu wrote:… it is my understanding that the still has much more pixel resolution that the video which is 6K at best. Am I wrong?

Why can’t BMD just leave CDNG for stills in their firmware and set it as an option to either BRAW or CDNG in the menu? This might be wishful thinking on my end. :(

Ellory, I think the largest DNG stills I shot with the iPhone 14 Pro using Photos are 36 megapixels (8K 8064x4536 16:9) and the recorded DNG is almost 76 MB. Perhaps other apps like Filmic Pro use more

I don’t know why BMD switched to BRAW but they may have had some good reasons related to colour science or other features that BRAW brings.
Last edited by rick.lang on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

kontrakatze

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 5:42 am

As of right now, GraphicConverter12 beta can open and edit Braw stills. I asked the developer to implement braw, which he did. Especially the browser option is very nice and a bit like Adobe Bridge, although metadata are still hard to read.
Stephan Schoenharting
Berlin, Germany
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9HVF-6TcKDkavfcqu0lFMQ/videos

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 6:35 am

Uli Plank wrote:Would be a reasonable feature request.
But why do you expect a still to have more resolution?

I thought I read from somewhere that it is different but I stand corrected. Nevertheless I found this in the manual which addresses the CDNG option.

72E41C18-DC10-4D8A-B8F7-0BA1BAEAE5D6.jpeg
72E41C18-DC10-4D8A-B8F7-0BA1BAEAE5D6.jpeg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 1671 times

So if I want the still to be in CDNG, all I have to do is set the codec to Prores. If that works, then that’s a good workaround. I can then bring the CDNG into PS, Affinity, or ON just as well. Sometimes it is good to RTFM. :lol:

ShaheedMalik

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 4:14 pm

There should be the option between selecting DNG or BRAW for stills.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 8:15 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:There should be the option between selecting DNG or BRAW for stills.

I believe always everyone agrees with you. BMD add this on the next pocket firmware update.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 3:17 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Ellory Yu wrote:… it is my understanding that the still has much more pixel resolution that the video which is 6K at best. Am I wrong?

Ellory, I think the largest DNG stills I shot with the iPhone 14 Pro using Photos are 36 megapixels (8K 8064x4536 16:9) and the recorded DNG is almost 76 MB. Perhaps other apps like Filmic Pro use more

I don’t know why BMD switched to BRAW but they may have had some good reasons related to colour science or other features that BRAW brings.
Dng is abandoned format from Adobe from 2017, they declare that not develop more, only dng converter seems sometimes be updated to add some newer raw support.

cDng from Blackmagic Design often was read in the worst way from Adobe software, In Past I bought a profile to use correctly it on camera raw and Lightroom. I remember that Adobe software read with worst profile high contrast and hyper satured clips. Later I started to use more resolve and I forget to read cDng in Adobe software.

I think Blackmagic Design decide to move to braw still for more metadata’s and more resolve friendly.

I hope they decide to enable it in a preview in cam.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

aBavarian Normie-Pleb

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 4:36 am

kontrakatze wrote:As of right now, GraphicConverter12 beta can open and edit Braw stills. I asked the developer to implement braw, which he did. Especially the browser option is very nice and a bit like Adobe Bridge, although metadata are still hard to read.

Does anyone know of a tool similar to GraphicConverter that also runs on Windows?

It would be great if Blackmagic Design upgrades their RAW Player to a proper quick viewing app with at least some features like next/previous file in the same folder.

Ellory Yu

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 7:03 am

Set your codec to Prores instead of BRAW and you can shoot still that generates CDNG files. I just wish BMD would give us a switch in the firmware to set stills to either BRAW or Prores without having to first select the film codec.

aBavarian Normie-Pleb

PostSat Jun 17, 2023 8:30 am

I get where you're coming from, however for example on a PCC6k ProRes limits the resolution to 4k DCI and I think it's not too much to ask from Blackmagic to improve the support for the workflow with BRAW stills so that users don't have to rely on third-party software that (on Windows) doesn't even seem to exist at this point in time.

Return to Cinematography