BMPCC 6K PRO stopped recording at worst possible time

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Simple1

PostSat Jun 03, 2023 9:28 am

For about 15 minutes, My BMPCC 6K PRO stopped recording after approximately 1-2 minutes. I discovered this at the worst possible moment: when I was filming a wedding ceremony, right after the father gave away the bride (so I missed that part).

For the next 15 minutes I had to keep checking if it was still filming, as it just stopped after a maximum of 2 minutes. And then... It just kept on rolling for no apparent reason. Didn't change the settings, didn't change the memory card. Didn't change anything before the ceremony either; I just used my regular settings.

I figured the heat outside couldn't be the issue (it was 25 degrees celcius / 77 degrees Fahrenheit).

My recording settings where:
-BRAW 5.7K
-Constant Bitrate
-12:1
-24fps

I used the SanDisk Extreme PRO V30 UHS-1 memorycard (512gb).

My question: how do I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 2:57 pm

As long as there was nothing obstructing the flow of air to the camera, my suspicion is that it got too hot for the media card. It’s going to be 30 degrees here tomorrow so I’ll run some tests using my media but I don’t have your card specifically.

Edit
No need to test today in the heat when the rates speed of the card was insufficient for use on a BMD camera.
Last edited by rick.lang on Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

Re: BMPCC 6K PRO stopped recording at worst possible time

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 10:40 pm

V30 is too much lower for my knowledge for braw 5.7k.
In the approved media list you cannot find V30 card, at less V60 and no UHS-I no SanDisk Sd.
12:1 for 6k require since 81mega per seconds at 30 fps, far from v30 performance.
Also with different v60 I cannot record for more than 1-2 minutes and most of time was scene related.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Uli Plank

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 12:45 am

That card is definitely too slow.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:03 am

Just to Play, i tested SD V60 lexar that i used with pocket4k, on pocket 6k.
on a scene with medium details in deep focus (more data rate required) you cannot record 6k 24fps, 5.7 24fps, stop after few seconds, if i switch to 4k at 24fps keep some minutes.

if you start with less dof you can start to record at 5.7k, but later data rate grow and stop to record.
If you want to record 6k you should buy faster card or usb disk, all approved media from bmd, don't risk your work for few bucks more for support.

Sean van Berlo

PostTue Jun 06, 2023 8:09 am

I think it's amazing that you managed to blame everything except for the slow as molasses consumer card -that's definitely not on the recommended media list- you used to shoot a wedding (!) of all things.

Return to Cinematography