HOW TO FIX BMPCC 4K IRIS FLICKER W/AUTO LENS

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

xljluna

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 6:46 am

Hey Guys! So I've actually been using the BMPCC4K for the last 6-8 months now, but I have been using it with a manual lens for a good majority of the time.

Recently (last 3 months) I have bought and have been using the pocket 4k with a MFT auto lens (12-35mm Lumix Lens f2.8), and am noticing that the IRIS would flicker during slight movements or bumps to the camera. The flicker looks like if you are trying to reset the lens connection by pressing down the lens mount unlock button on the front of the camera.

The F Stop and Control over it on the screen also disappears when it flickers. It's almost like the lens disconnects from the camera for a second and then readjusts and goes back to normal, though I have had times where the lens wouldn't readjust and I had to press down on the lens mount unlock button to reset it.

I had a cheaper MFT lumix lens that I tested with it as well, and it does the same thing from time to time. I also made sure I was upgraded to the most recent firmware to see if getting an update would fix the issue, but unfortunately it didn't.

Does anyone know if this would be a software issue or a hardware issue? and any ideas on how to fix it/stop it from happening? I appreciate any help from y'all!

-Excel Luna

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 05, 2023 3:30 pm

Just checking, although probably not an issue, but have you reseated the mFT lens so here here that familiar click from the mount? I’m wondering if there’s a weak connection of the electrical pins.

If there firmware on the lens that needs to be updated by mounting to a Panasonic camera for example?
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography