Ursa Mini Pro 12k OLPF - Not seeing USB connected NVME drive

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

stefanbarlow

Ursa Mini Pro 12k OLPF - Not seeing USB connected NVME drive

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 12:57 am

Hello,

I just received my Ursa Friday and have been working to rig it up for a few days. After doing some digging I saw people have had success with the 970 EVO NVME M.2 drive in an SSK enclosure. I ordered those along with a Belkin Thunderbolt 3 USB-C cable.

When I plug it into the back port of the Ursa, the enclosure's power light comes on but it never shows up on the camera. The Storage Manager page says "No cards".

My Windows PC sees the drive fine. I figured maybe I need to initialize the drive first so I did that, also formatted to exFS, 128k. Still "No cards". I've left it connected for several minutes and it never shows up.

I've also tried the USB-C cable that came with the SSK enclosure, still nothing.

Any ideas? Try other cables? Another enclosure?

stefanbarlow

Re: Ursa Mini Pro 12k OLPF - Not seeing USB connected NVME d

PostWed Jun 07, 2023 5:25 pm

Update: I have the SSD recorder but was trying for the m.2 option instead. I tried the USB-C cable that came with it and it still doesn’t show the m.2 drive.

Uli Plank

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 4:43 am

Is that enclosure only for Thunderbolt, maybe? I'd assume the Ursa will only support USB-C.
There are dual-standard enclosures, like the Acasis.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Xerotech_Ltd

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 10:42 am

Did you ever sort out this issue?

We just received our Mini Pro 12k and the SS USB-C port is completely dead?

Best

Michael59

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 8:12 am

Hello . I had that problem , when I realized that I had two CFast Cards in the Camera Slots ..

Note that the Usb-C connection takes the Second Slot in the Camera operating System .. So , if a Card is installed on the second slot , you won't see the Usb-C SSD .. You can go in the Manual , page 25 , and you'll read :

" When a USB-C flash disk is connected to your camera, it occupies the second media slot in
your camera’s operating system. Tapping the card or drive name in the storage menu sets it as
the active drive. This means that recording, playback and storage management is exactly the
same for USB-C flash disks as it is for CFast, SD cards and SSDs "

Hope this helps .. with my Regards from France / Mike ..

Michael59

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 8:50 am

There may be Doubts about the Drive or its enclosure . So , I can confirm that an out of the box Samsung T7 Shield 1 Tb is seen by the Camera .. no problem .. ( free advertising .... ) . Maybe you can borrow a good one ..

It seems you have tried several USB-C Cables . Anyway , be warned that charge dedicated usb-c cables exist .. they allow power supply or charging , but do not allow Data transfer .. That's why I always put two colored serflex , cable-ties .. on my Data transfer cables .. just to be sure ... Annoying ...

Hope this helps in some way .. Good Luck / Regards / Mike ..

Garth McElroy

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 12:55 am

I've had this exact issue with my 12k and several types of nwme drives. I'm currently using a Samsung 990 pro, SSK enclosure, and a Kondor Blue USB cord. The first few times I used the drive it either wouldn't show up or it would hang on formatting. It finally started working but it was pretty flaky to start. Make sure you push the USB cord into the camera hard. I may try the Blackmagic usb cord that has a screw to hold it in tight. I just hate having to pay $70 for a usb cord! I also had the same issue with a WD Black vwme.

Return to Cinematography