CFast card not reading right after formatting

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

nlenzi

CFast card not reading right after formatting

PostThu Jun 08, 2023 8:26 pm

I'm brand new to Blackmagic, I've been using the Pocket Cinema Camera 6k for two days and ran into a CFast issue.

I had backed up my footage from the previous day of shooting so I decided to format the CFast card before getting started. It is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 512gb card. I used the camera to format it and formatted it to exFAT. Moments after doing so the card wouldn't read anymore. I turned the camera on and off, took the card in and out, nothing. I plugged it into my PC with a card reader that had worked previously when I backed up the footage and that didn't work either. I also tried scanning it for hardware changes in device manager. It won't even show up in disk management.

I tried to get creative and put the card in our Canon C200 to format it there. It read the card but could not format it due to a critical error. I have no idea what happened to my card. Again, I'm brand new to this camera so I understand I could've made a mistake. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

rick.lang

Re: CFast card not reading right after formatting

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 5:32 pm

Assuming the full description of the card is Sandisk Extreme Pro CFast 2.0 SDCFSP-513G-x46D, it’s an approved card and you did retrieve media from the card.

That’s a very unusual situation you are facing. I’m assuming you didn’t erase anything while the card was in the card reader but only read from the card. Presumably everything looked normal when you put the card back in the camera and formatted it for exFAT. Did the format operation give you the message that the card was successfully formatted and ready to use? If you returned to the normal shooting screen, did you see the card mounted for a few moments?

And then the card no longer displayed on the screen? Very distressing as you appear to have done everything correctly.

I’d physically remove the card and try to reinstall the camera firmware (install the latest version of the firmware for the camera) to see if the camera Format screen will show the card and let you select it for formatting after that refresh. If not, try an earlier firmware version. Best of luck. Please report back.
Rick Lang

nlenzi

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks, I'll try that out.

As far as I know thats what happened, but now I'm second guessing myself. Luckily no footage was lost.

Mike Potton

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 12:32 pm

What cfast card reader are you using?

Robert Niessner

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 12:52 pm

You might read this, could be your issue:
viewtopic.php?p=569841#p569841
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner