4K Camera Now Shipping! Lower Price!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Fred Trevino

4K Camera Now Shipping! Lower Price!

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:31 am

In case you missed it, here's the announcement:

Blackmagic Design today announced the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is now shipping and with a new low price of US$2,995. This new low price will be available for all customers, including existing pre-orders. Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is available now from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for only US$2,995.

“The support from the creative community for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Production Camera 4K has been amazing,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design. “As with all of our products, we work hard in production to reduce costs so we can pass along the savings, even to our first Blackmagic Production Camera 4K customers. The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is a perfect companion for ATEM Production 4K switchers and we hope the new low price will help more customers to expand their Ultra HD live production set ups with even more camera angles!”

For more information, please visit http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/p ... seID=58775.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Kofa

Re: 4K Camera Now Shipping! Lower Price!

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:39 am

this is great news. May pick one of these up. At $2995 it's a steal.
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Rafael Molina

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:56 am

Hehe, yep, just read Grant Petty's post, I never thought the price reduction would happen to the Production Camera. Seems like RAW will have to wait like when the Pocket was released, but that's OK. I would like to see if Blackmagic Design will come with some great news at NAB 2014.
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Adrian Young

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:58 am

Fantastic news! Definitely plan on buying one now.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:07 am

Yes!

:lol:

-

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:08 am

Wow! This time the price dropped even before the camera started shipping :-)

Finally great news.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 am

BMD - Killing it. :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Rado Stefanov

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:21 am

Lets see how fast they will manufacture.
Are they dropping raw all together?
    Rado Stefanov

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:32 am

Rado wrote:Lets see how fast they will manufacture.
    Are they dropping raw all together?
    Grant Petty wrote:We are working as hard as we can to add RAW recording quickly and to build cameras so everyone gets their orders asap.
    **Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

timbutt2

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:37 am

At the moment I'm satisfied with the 2.5K model, especially since it shoots RAW Cinema DNG. When the 4K finally gets RAW I'll consider upgrading since that price is a bargain. However, need to find an affordable 50mm lens since Rokinon doesn't make one and I have Rokinon cine primes. Great news however!

Especially great news from Grant Petty:

We have some other software updates due soon for the other cameras, so we are continuing to work hard and I will post some updates as we can.
    "I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
    Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
    Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 am

timbutt2 wrote:At the moment I'm satisfied with the 2.5K model, especially since it shoots RAW Cinema DNG. When the 4K finally gets RAW I'll consider upgrading since that price is a bargain. However, need to find an affordable 50mm lens since Rokinon doesn't make one and I have Rokinon cine primes. Great news however!

Especially great news from Grant Petty:

We have some other software updates due soon for the other cameras, so we are continuing to work hard and I will post some updates as we can.

I’m more interested in working with 4K and 1080p ProRes HQ initially anyway, so I don’t mind waiting for 4K and 1080p compressed RAW.

I’d love to know what “software updates” they’re working on for the “other cameras” (BMCC and BMPCC)?

… audio level meters? … record time remaining? … clip deletion and/or SSD formatting in-camera? … audio quality improvements? … etc. … ??? …

And, I wonder if the updated features are already in the BMPC-4K immediately when it ships?

We'll know soon I hope!

-

Graham Parker

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:21 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
    timbutt2 wrote:And, I wonder if the updated features are already in the BMPC-4K immediately when it ships?

We'll know soon I hope!

-

According to the beta testers, the software on the 4K is the same as the current software, just with the addition of the higher resolution option.
    http://levelup.geek.nz/ - Rental Gear for New Zealand

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 am

LostBoyNZ wrote:
    Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:
    timbutt2 wrote:And, I wonder if the updated features are already in the BMPC-4K immediately when it ships?

We'll know soon I hope!

-

According to the beta testers, the software on the 4K is the same as the current software, just with the addition of the higher resolution option.

Understood. That was true a few days ago, and might still be true. Meanwhile we have a new firmware update today for the BMPC-4K, so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask again. We'll see.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:I’d love to know what “software updates” they’re working on for the “other cameras” (BMCC and BMPCC)?

As far as i've read, the only updates officially announced are mostly the improved debayer/prores in the BMCC and a 'promise' to work on the grid issue reported ? Anything else i've missed that's been posted?

Mark Davies

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:46 am

Wow After all this waiting it doesn't seem real! Cant wait Well done BM The price reduction as well. Am I in Kansas? Fantastic! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    Mark Davies

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 am

Starting out without RAW is the same as with the pocket cam - so stay confident, they WILL add RAW later, took about half a year for the pocket cam.

Jon Braeley

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:15 am

I really need to see some faster frame rates - lets say 60fps at 1080p!

I mean that must be easy as even most DSLR's can achieve this. In fact 120fps should be on the list.

But yes - good news on the price at least.
    Empty Mind Films: http://emptymindfilms.com

Theodore Prentice

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks BMD!

was in at the original price, cant wait for these to be readily available :P

Manu Gil

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 pm

:o :D ;)

bhook

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 1:04 pm

FTColorist wrote:"...The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is a perfect companion for ATEM Production 4K switchers and we hope the new low price will help more customers to expand their Ultra HD live production set ups with even more camera angles!”

Kudos everyone! This is the morning you've been w8ing on...I hope the camera is everything you dreamed it would be.

I'm having a hard time visualizing its fit into a live production set up though. No real studio configuration for the 4K, no remote zoom or focus, Clunky white balance settings and no CCU. I sure don't see how you tweak "live" in post. I guess the vision is 4Ks all over the place (without operators) giving you the angles you need for live switching.

Still curious...exciting times.

Michael Tiemann

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Congrats to BMD! I just ordered one...we'll see how long its takes to fulfill.
    MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
    iMac Pro (2017)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W
    64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
    Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
    RED Rocket-X
    Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Mark Jamerson

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Well with this lower price I can cancel my GH4 preorder although I was #1 on the list lol
    Mark Jamerson
    Jamerson Studios

Blaine Russom

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Congrats BMD! Great Job! Definitely will be picking one up in the near future!!

Simon_Pearldrop_Video

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi, guys!

My supplier gets two 4ks in tomorrow, and I am #1 on the list. In the coming days, I'll be positing several blogs on my website (pearldrop.com) with text and video about my early experiences with the camera. Excited and a bit scared!!!!

Mac Jaeger

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 4:10 pm

It seems there are significantly less preorders this time...

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Mac Jaeger wrote:It seems there are significantly less preorders this time...

If it is true preorders are lower, it makes sense given the initial price of under $4,000 and then the price drop of the BMCC to less than $2,000. Now it is shipping for under $3,000, and as people see more actual footage, the orders will likely pick up as I'm sure many people are waiting until it is actually available.

A 4K camera for the original price of the BMCC EF probably hits a sweet spot for pricing of a quality camera with a high quality codec (ProRes Film). Even better when 4K raw is there.

Rick Lang
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 5:13 pm

mhood wrote:
    FTColorist wrote:"...The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K is a perfect companion for ATEM Production 4K switchers and we hope the new low price will help more customers to expand their Ultra HD live production set ups with even more camera angles!”

Kudos everyone! This is the morning you've been w8ing on...I hope the camera is everything you dreamed it would be.

I'm having a hard time visualizing its fit into a live production set up though. No real studio configuration for the 4K, no remote zoom or focus, Clunky white balance settings and no CCU. I sure don't see how you tweak "live" in post. I guess the vision is 4Ks all over the place (without operators) giving you the angles you need for live switching.

Still curious...exciting times.

Cheers, Marc.

On the CCU point, my guess is BMD will come out with (maybe at NAB 2014?) a new version of their HD Link with 4K UHD capability, Thunderbolt-2, USB-3, WiFi, and the ability to manipulate/adjust LUTs in realtime via a connected computer/smartphone/tablet, plus talkback and all the other existing HD Link features, for <$1K.

In some situations, Davinci Resolve 10 directly connected to the cam can be used as a CCU-like solution. Live grading ("shading") of cam output is a big feature in Resolve 10.

Lens remote is best handled "live" via a controller directly connected to the lens. LANC typically isn't fine-grained enough, but can be used in a pinch while a camera is on standby.

Exciting times indeed. I think NAB 2014 is going to have a lot of big & small surprises. We'll see …

Cheers.

-

Alexander Arndt

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:24 pm

ill think its just great to offer us 1000.- back what some of us lost on the bmcc2.5

Rod Lopez

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Now the 4k camera does shoot raw, does it not? It is compressed raw but raw nevertheless. Or is there a new announcement that I missed?
    Rod Lopez,
    www.NewStyleIP.com
    @RodLopezFilms
    @NewStyleIP

Rado Stefanov

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Simon_Pearldrop_Video wrote:Hi, guys!

My supplier gets two 4ks in tomorrow, and I am #1 on the list. In the coming days, I'll be positing several blogs on my website (pearldrop.com) with text and video about my early experiences with the camera. Excited and a bit scared!!!!

Who is your supplier? I should be first on the adorama list.
    Rado Stefanov

Scott Pultz

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Adorama still has the old price. I wonder if they are getting supply anytime soon.

Robert DelTour

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Rado wrote:

How did you find out where you are on the Adorama list? When I asked them, they refused to tell me.

Ben Wells

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Contacted Adorama as well. They had no new information, pricing or my placement for me in the queue order.

Dillon McEvoy

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Contacted Adorama as well, they had no news on the updated price, or when they would be receiving their first batch of cameras. I too was informed they could not tell me where my spot was in line even though I ordered 10 months ago the day of NAB. Excited nonetheless for this camera!

Simon_Pearldrop_Video

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 pm

It's a UK supplier. I pre-ordered in September and put a big chunk of cash down in October. Will hopefully be picking up the camera tomorrow...

Ben Wells

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 am

Adorama has adjusted the price and I spoke with them and they "very informally" said they should have them within the next week or 2.
    Last edited by Ben Wells on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rado Stefanov

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 12:23 am

Robert DelTour wrote:
    Rado wrote:

How did you find out where you are on the Adorama list? When I asked them, they refused to tell me.

I ordered it the very second it went on their website. What is the last number your order after the dash?
    -X ?
    Rado Stefanov

Robert DelTour

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Rado wrote: I ordered it the very second it went on their website. What is the last number your order after the dash?
    -X ?

I just got off the phone with them again. They continue to refuse to give any information whatsoever regarding shipping and keep blaming the manufacturer. I looked at my order number and there is no dash in it. I ordered on the 17th of April, so hopefully I am not too far behind!

Rado Stefanov

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Robert DelTour wrote:
    Rado wrote: I ordered it the very second it went on their website. What is the last number your order after the dash?
    -X ?

I just got off the phone with them again. They continue to refuse to give any information whatsoever regarding shipping and keep blaming the manufacturer. I looked at my order number and there is no dash in it. I ordered on the 17th of April, so hopefully I am not too far behind!

what is the last number then
    Rado Stefanov

anotherfrenchy

Return to Cinematography