SHOOTING RAW DNG QUESTION

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LASHOOTER

SHOOTING RAW DNG QUESTION

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 9:19 am

I just got my BMCC and went out to shoot my first test shots 2.5k RAW.

I have the camera set to RAW 2.5 / FILM mode, but my display setting to VIDEO because I thought it would help with pulling focus. I opened Davinci Resolve 10 and clicked on the DNG files and every sequence doesn't seem to have that flat / desaturated look like I've seen forever in test footage dating back to when the camera was first released.

Does the DISPLAY MODE (dynamic range in display menu) have to be set to film? or did I make a mistake in Resolve? Or something entirely different? The footage looks very saturated and the blacks are very crushed in the DNG files. I even had a metabones speed booster on the camera?

Thanks in advance

Marcel Beck

Re: SHOOTING RAW DNG QUESTION

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 am

LASHOOTER wrote:I just got my BMCC and went out to shoot my first test shots 2.5k RAW.

I have the camera set to RAW 2.5 / FILM mode, but my display setting to VIDEO because I thought it would help with pulling focus. I opened Davinci Resolve 10 and clicked on the DNG files and every sequence doesn't seem to have that flat / desaturated look like I've seen forever in test footage dating back to when the camera was first released.

Does the DISPLAY MODE (dynamic range in display menu) have to be set to film? or did I make a mistake in Resolve? Or something entirely different? The footage looks very saturated and the blacks are very crushed in the DNG files. I even had a metabones speed booster on the camera?

Thanks in advance

Hello LASHOOTER,

This is something for the post production section but basically in Resolve 10 you can configure if it applies LUTs on footage you import or keeps it LOG format. Not a mistake just a setting you need to check. You can also view what LUT is applied under the camera RAW section. Set that to BMD Film.

Here is a screenshot of the camera raw settings:

In this section I've set my timeline to Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709 (This will give me REC709 look on my timeline, saturated etc.) if you DONT want this, set this to BMD Film
Here is a screenshot of the internal settings:
Last edited by Marcel Beck on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcel Beck
Cinematographer & Producer
follow me: @mxbstudios

Ulysses Paiva

Re: SHOOTING RAW DNG QUESTION

PostMon Feb 10, 2014 11:04 am

Dont worry. Its just the way Resolve is interpreting the footage. You can change it to "BMD Film" on the project settings, media browser or the raw tab on Color and you get your flat look back again. You can then grade from there or even add an output LUT to help you grading.
Ulysses Paiva

Return to Cinematography