External batteries

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Valentino R. Sandoli

External batteries

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi, I'm looking for external batteries for the BMCC and I'm not sure exactly which specifications should have, I know the input should be 12V, right? If the battery has a higher or lower voltage, it won't work? Or the camera can be damaged?

Thank you

AdrianSierkowski

Re: External batteries

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 5:16 pm

The camera can take a voltage range in, and I believe that range is 12~30V. In fact, most external 12V batteries really read 14V or so when full charged, much as my 24V block batts for film cameras really charge up to about 30V.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Lower voltage: camera might not start, or might not work correctly, probably producing corrupted footage; yet no damage to be expected.

Higher voltage: camera might get hot, not work correctly, or even take permanent damage.

Voltages between 12 to 20 volts are fine for all BMD cameras, the 2k5 modell is rated to accept up to 30 volts. But i'd keep it to 12V in any case, because the camera has to downconvert to its internal voltages in any case, but the conversion is less effective at higher voltages. Even 10 or 8 volts may work well, as the internal battery is most likely a standard LiIon battery rated at 7.2 or 7.4 volts.

Valentino R. Sandoli

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 am

And do you know anything about how to plug the external batteries into the camera? Because I've been looking for v-mount batteries (the rig I'm purchasing includes a v-mount in the back) but I don't know what king of wire they need, also many of the batteries i've seen doesn't come with a charger...
First I thought maybe the switronix PB-70 could work but I'm trying to get something cheaper since I'm in a very tight budget...

inean

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 am

The Lanparte Batteries can charge throught the D tap port if they have...so if you buy a battery with this charguer system and this cable

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1263528397

its all you need. But i recomend the lanparte v mount plate....also have charger point. :)

Scott Stacy

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 2:35 am

I use the Switronix XP-L90A that has the AB mount. These batteries hold a great charge and they now have a 5 volt USB output which is great for the Paralinx wireless HDMI and other 5v gear (like an iPhone :).
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

CJ Ricottone

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 3:29 am

Scott Stacy wrote:I use the Switronix XP-L90A that has the AB mount. These batteries hold a great charge and they now have a 5 volt USB output which is great for the Paralinx wireless HDMI and other 5v gear (like an iPhone :).

i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on that same battery. how long does it power your rig for?

Return to Cinematography