Blackmagic Camera App for Android Phones?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rlh100

Re: Blackmagic Camera App for Android Phones?

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 5:23 am

When Blackmagic Design creates an Android version of their camera app, they will probably give it away for free for the same reason they give Resolve away for free. It is the Gillette Razor marketing model:
"Give away the razor handle and make your money on blades."

Resolve and the camera app are both vehicles to feed users into the Blackmagic eco system:
You like to edit in resolve? $400 for the mini controller, $600 for the keyboard controller.
You like resolve color correction? how about a color console? $860 for the micro, $2,100 for the mini and $27,500 for the full blown advanced.
You like Fairlight and would like some knobs and faders? $3,100 for the desktop with 12 faders or ~$31K for the 24 channel control surface.
What about rack mount screens, switchers, splitters, cross connect, format converters?
I am sure there are production suites that are almost everything Blackmagic. Just a few products that Blackmagic doesn't sell. Especially in the corporate/church world. It all just works together as a whole.

Likewise for the app. How about a Black magic camera or three?

Once Blackmagic gets a new user started with a free editor or app, a lot of users then find it simplest to continue on with other Black Magic products because they work so well together. It does not take too many $27K color correction consoles or $31K audio consoles for Blackmagic to start earning some real money.
RLH

Robert Harker

roger.magnusson

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 7:38 pm

Me_In_Va

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 5:01 pm

I'd love to see the camera app for Android as well. However, as others have stated here there are a lot of issues with developing apps for Android. I have mainly had Samsung phones and one of the problems for camera apps is Samsung has not yet released all the information app developers need to make the app work the way we all want it to work.

One area that Samsung has kept shut down is frame rates. They have not made it possible for app developers to control the frame rates the way the native camera app does. I have been using Filmic on my S21 Ultra and I am only able to select 24, 25, 30 and 60fps in any of the resolutions. Samsung has locked out 48, 50, 120 and 240 fps for 3rd party camera apps.

Why has Samsung decided to do this? Who knows. Apple has not done this. As for the other phone manufacturers, I don't know if they are able to access the full range of frame rates. If they do, good for them. But I don't want to have to pay for a camera app anymore. Filmic has made their app undesirable for me when they went subscription. If they offered a one time purchase, I'd consider them again.

With Apple having the BMD camera app and the LiDAR on the phones, it is pushing me closer to actually switching over to an iPhone. This would be a monumental change for me. I was in the phone biz for about 18 years and never considered an iPhone for myself because of how many limitations Apple places on their devices. But they have been getting better, as evidenced by the BMD camera app.

Anyway, that was my two cents on the BMD camera app and Android devices. It would be great to have the app available on Android but I can understand why some companies don't bother with Android too much.

JamesKGreen

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 11:52 pm

I do hope they make the Blackmagic Camera App available for Android in the extremely near future!

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 2:31 am

If it doesn't show up at NAB, it'll probably never come.
I think they have a pretty good relationship with Apple. Apple used their app when shooting the M3 presentation on iPhone and they regularly demonstrate their computers with DaVinci Resolve. It runs really smooth on Mx machines.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

RadicalRaul

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 3:19 am

After recently purchasing a Black Magic Cinema 4k Pocket Camera I began my search for a Android app and came across this forum. I find all the excuses here for Black Magic not having a Android app to be lame cop outs at best.

If all the other major camera manufactures can offer a Android app for their cameras there is absolutely no reason or excuse for Black Magic not too.

I have a significant investment in my camera and the accessories to create a complete workflow. The least Black Magic Design can do is provide a Android app for those who prefer Android phones as all the other major camera manufactures do. Get down to it Black Magic.

Case closed.

Raul X. Garcia
Director/Producer
IFC Short Film of the Month Winner

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 9:51 pm

Arri has none, neither has Red-Nikon or Canon. Only Sony for their very own Androids.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

robedge

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 10:10 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Arri has none, neither has Red-Nikon or Canon. Only Sony for their very own Androids.

Not to mention that he says that he’s read this 2 page thread ("I find all the excuses here ... to be lame cop outs"), and apparently thinks it’s about an app for his "4k Pocket Camera".
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 10:28 pm

RadicalRaul wrote:Get down to it Black Magic.

Case closed.

Raul X. Garcia
Director/Producer
IFC Short Film of the Month Winner

Guess BMD has their marching orders! ;)
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

ksilva

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If it doesn't show up at NAB, it'll probably never come.
I think they have a pretty good relationship with Apple. Apple used their app when shooting the M3 presentation on iPhone and they regularly demonstrate their computers with DaVinci Resolve. It runs really smooth on Mx machines.

The only reason I'm looking forward to NAB this year is that they could unveil the Android version of the app. At least one for Samsung and Google flagship phones. I love Blackmagic as a company but their apparent tight relationship with Apple worries me. I worry how much power and leverage Apple might have on what BM does or does not do. If Apple is the reason why there is never an Android version of the app, that would be very concerning. I'm sure some jurisdictions would consider this practice illegal, monopolistic and completely violating antitrust laws.

Blackmagic, please release an Android version. There are way more Android than iOS devices. So, looking at it from a business standpoint it makes not sense not to release an Android version that is just as good or better than the iOS version. This should be no different than developing a Windows and macOS versions of your software.

BM Please don't let us down!

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:06 am

Well, that relationship might be complicated. BM is still refusing to support ProRes RAW.

RadicalRaul

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 12:59 pm

robedge wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:Arri has none, neither has Red-Nikon or Canon. Only Sony for their very own Androids.

Not to mention that he says that he’s read this 2 page thread ("I find all the excuses here ... to be lame cop outs"), and apparently thinks it’s about an app for his "4k Pocket Camera".

Actually I'm just interested in a remote control app. As the majority of camera manufactures offer.

I would never shoot or edit with a iPhone or Android. I find it hard to believe any pro shooter or editor would.

I'll leave the trends to the wannabees.
Last edited by RadicalRaul on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExzxImages

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 10:28 pm

Just seen a video of someone at nab showing Blackmagic camera app on the pixel phone at the Blackmagic design booth

ExzxImages

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 10:29 pm

Here is the link to the video

robedge

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 11:15 pm

ExzxImages wrote:Just seen a video of someone at nab showing Blackmagic camera app on the pixel phone at the Blackmagic design booth

Thanks very much. This is a fairly big deal.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Nick2021

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 3:58 am

Some of the reasoning in this thread is a little strange.

If BMD wanted to pick one or two large Android phones that's more units than Apple ships. :o Unless they don't want to offend some Android users by only supporting Samsung or Xiaomi . But that offends everybody.

I'd wager they've limited resources and picked IOS first. Nothing more than that.

cmactavish

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 am

Blackmagic Camera Coming to Android*

*select phones.

ksilva

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 12:03 pm

I want to extend my sincere thanks to Blackmagic for your dedication to quality and affordability. It's greatly appreciated that you listen to your customers and consistently deliver professional-grade products. We all admire Grant Petty's leadership. Thank you!
Previous

Return to Cinematography