Blackmagic Camera App - General discussion and Releases

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robedge

Re: Blackmagic Camera App - General discussion and Releases

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 4:12 pm

Don't Be Confused - Adjusting Exposure in the Blackmagic Camera App

Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

JockeSv

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 8:07 am

We use iPhone 15 pro for alot of work that's in vertical orientation. On the external monitor the image is then letterboxed to make the orientation "correct". But we use a wireless monitor that's 7" and the image gets very small. We want to have our external monitor in portrait to utilize the whole screen, is this possible in any way, or does BM need to make a feature for this?

johnnydecimal

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 pm

Hey all. Is this the best place to post a minor bug in the iOS app?

I'll post it anyway and if someone tells me to put it elsewhere I'd be happy to do that. (I'm new here; forgive me.)

Bug: when the focus overlay is open, such that the app is showing me the current focus setting which is a number from 0.00 through 1.00, tapping a subject to focus does indeed do that, but it does not update the focus display.

So if I deliberately throw a subject ~1m away out of focus (setting = 0.5) then tap on that person to bring them in to focus, the setting does not change to ~0.7.

Of course it would be helpful if it did, because I want to use the tap-to-focus to do that, but I don't want to leave autofocus turned on.

johnnydecimal

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

robedge wrote:Don't Be Confused - Adjusting Exposure in the Blackmagic Camera App

Note that if your shutter speed is locked – and in what situation is it not? – the +/- button turns in to pure ISO control.

A bit of a weird button to be sure.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 6:40 am

V1.3 released today.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 7:26 am

johnnydecimal wrote:
robedge wrote:Don't Be Confused - Adjusting Exposure in the Blackmagic Camera App

Note that if your shutter speed is locked – and in what situation is it not? – the +/- button turns in to pure ISO control.

What else can it do? There's no aperture to adjust.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

ExzxImages

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 10:51 am

When is blackmagic going to fix fasle color when using apple log

kfriis

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 12:27 pm

johnnydecimal wrote:

The real problem is, that when shutter speed is locked,ISO also seems to be locked (completely unnecessary unless specifically required). Display does NOT show ISO locked, but the value does stay at the value used, when speed is locked (in order to - for example - set 25fps and 1/50 shutter or 180 degrees).

This rather severe “side effect” still exists in version 1.3.00111 (also found in 1.2.10033).

This effect does NOT exist in Cinema P3 Pro.

Example: Point x1 lens towards light. Set 25fps and 1/50 sec (or your personal preference). Lock shutter speed. ISO will (most probable) show 55 ISO (or some other low value). Now cover all lenses (ISO should shoot to maximum).

On BlackMagic camera ISO stays at 55 (or your initial low value, instead of reaching maximum).

On Cinema P3 Pro camera ISO reaches maximum in the same situation (Shutter Priority).

In real life, it’s rather nice, that ISO reflects conditions during use - not only condition, when shutter speed was locked. On walkabouts, where conditions cannot be controlled, this may actually have some importance for the outcome.

Let’s say, you lock the shutter speed at 1/50s inside a café, after paying the bill, preparing to leave and enter pulsating outside life. ISO defaults to somewhere between 1000 and 2000 if you do it in a dark(ish) corner. Now you go outside, start recording. ALL highlights are completely blown in the noon sun.

Doesn’t happen with Cinema P3 Pro (Shutter Priority).

Personally I find the “auto ISO” valuable in a lot of reportage (and some Travel) like situations.

Regards

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 2:46 pm

If you were going from indoors to outdoors in one clip, can you simply remove the lock as you walk outside or not set the lock in the first place if that works for the shot? Seems strange to me to consider it a problem when it’s just maintaining the lock you set.
Rick Lang

Bill Carson

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 3:06 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:V1.3 released today.

Looks like it broke LUT implementation for me, saturation of all tested LUTs is up in the sky.

kfriis

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:16 pm

rick.lang wrote:If you were going from indoors to outdoors in one clip, can you simply remove the lock as you walk outside or not set the lock in the first place if that works for the shot? Seems strange to me to consider it a problem when it’s just maintaining the lock you set.

As I wrote: For example!

I did NOT set the ISO lock. It is not even indicated as locked. I locked the shutter speed. These two parameters can and should be handled independently in my view.

There are numerous situations in reportage (and Travel), where the “ISO lock” may be detrimental to good results. The approach is not even required by Apple, as demonstrated by Cinema P3 Pro.

I found my solution to the problem; it does not even involve repeated/perpetual manual interventions at all in many use cases ;-)

Regards

robedge

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:22 pm

kfriis wrote:The approach is not even required by Apple, as demonstrated by Cinema P3 Pro.

I found my solution to the problem ... ;-)

Cool. When you join the Cinema P3 User Group the membership will go up to 128.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

rick.lang

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm

kfriis wrote:
rick.lang wrote:… I did NOT set the ISO lock. It is not even indicated as locked. I locked the shutter speed. These two parameters can and should be handled independently in my view…

Sorry, I had a brain malfunction due to fatigue!
Rick Lang

kfriis

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:33 pm

rick.lang wrote:
kfriis wrote:
rick.lang wrote:… I did NOT set the ISO lock. It is not even indicated as locked. I locked the shutter speed. These two parameters can and should be handled independently in my view…

Sorry, I had a brain malfunction due to fatigue!

No problem at all. I'm not perfect either, as everyone reading this forum over time can testify ;-)

It seems, that periodic "OFF moments" are part of human nature (welcome to humanity ;-)

Regards

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:26 am

AI keeps learning and will soon adapt that too ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 2:30 am

robedge wrote:
kfriis wrote:The approach is not even required by Apple, as demonstrated by Cinema P3 Pro.

I found my solution to the problem ... ;-)

Cool. When you join the Cinema P3 User Group the membership will go up to 128.

Shhh, let’s stop mentioning it here, Kurt, so it stays a hidden gem.

If it’s all about numbers, MS Office must be the best ever over any other office solution ;-)
OTOH, if a user forum is very small, it may say something about the number of bugs…

Peter McLennan

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 11:38 pm

iPhoneographers has just posted a first look at V1.3

ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

ceagleston

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 3:44 am

Hi Blackmagic App Developers,

I have been trying to get in touch through support channels for the last 2 days (phone, email, Twitter, App Store review) without success. The latest v1.3 update breaks the core functionality of handheld photography on an iPhone 15 Pro Max. I responded to your release Tweet with a video demonstrating the delayed preview problem here:

twitter.com /chriseagleston/status/1778080747540435054

At this point I had to cancel the last two shoot days because v1.3 was pushed to my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I understand that NAB is on, but could you please provide an ETA on when this serious regression will be fixed?

Thank you,
Chris

P.S. I have rented your Cinema Camera line in Vancouver. While the app itself is free, please do not think that I am expecting something for nothing.

ceagleston

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 8:11 pm

I was able to resolve the delayed video in 1.3 by reinstalling the app from scratch. I would guess that some existing users of 1.3 will be impacted so please be careful out there.

Is there an area to submit bug reports? Mine is:

Video preview is delayed after upgrade to 1.3
--------------------------------------

Device: iPhone 15 Pro Max
Operating System: iOS 17.4.1
App Version: 1.3

Cinematic stabilization was enabled before applying the update. After updating from the previous version capture preview is now stabilized with delay. The stabilization delay makes handheld photography impossible using the 5x lens.

Deleting and re-installing the app resolves the delay issue. Don't forget to backup any shoot data!

Thanks,
Chris

indigogo

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:41 pm

ceagleston wrote:I was able to resolve the delayed video in 1.3 by reinstalling the app from scratch. I would guess that some existing users of 1.3 will be impacted so please be careful out there.

Is there an area to submit bug reports? Mine is:

Video preview is delayed after upgrade to 1.3
--------------------------------------

Device: iPhone 15 Pro Max
Operating System: iOS 17.4.1
App Version: 1.3

Cinematic stabilization was enabled before applying the update. After updating from the previous version capture preview is now stabilized with delay. The stabilization delay makes handheld photography impossible using the 5x lens.

Deleting and re-installing the app resolves the delay issue. Don't forget to backup any shoot data!

Thanks,
Chris

iPhone 15 pro Max, 50 fps angle 180 4K H.256, standard stabilization, apple log, with and without LUT enabled - the latest update added image jerks during monitoring with medium, fast movements, and in the video review you can see jerks and something like a strobe. This has never happened before...
In the standard iPhone application - at 30 and 60 fps everything is smooth
I tried in Blackmagic cam changing it to 60 fps, there are fewer jerks, but they are still there.

Maybe I missed something or some setting has a problem, who came across? Or an update bug?

Updated app in iPhone 11 pro Max - same problem..!

Yes, this can be regarded as a delay in the form of interruptions and this is visible at an average speed of camera movement left and right or vertically up and down

This can also be seen when watching the video recording!

I uninstalled the app and installed it again with default settings - the problem is still there!
Bring back the happiness of using the app without this terrible problem!!!

Clarified - with stabilization disabled, the problem is still there
Previous

Return to Cinematography