Blackmagic Camera App - Issues/Bugs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Uli Plank

Re: Blackmagic Camera App - Issues/Bugs

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 2:27 am

Try ProRes or H.264. Still the same?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 2:54 am

Schnurr wrote:I tried the App for the 1st time but out of 5 clips 3 of them are unusable due to strange video recording. All looked perfect on the screen but when I get into the media tab within the App I get this view. Strange is that if I close the App for 0.1sec I can see the preview properly but then I get the wired and unusable output. Please help & fix !
I am on latest iOS and latest App version.

IMG_0473DC7F146A-1.jpeg

R u using iPhone 14 Pro?
HEVC (h.265) codec to record?
Are you recording to local or attached drive?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Schnurr

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 8:10 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
Schnurr wrote:I tried the App for the 1st time but out of 5 clips 3 of them are unusable due to strange video recording. All looked perfect on the screen but when I get into the media tab within the App I get this view. Strange is that if I close the App for 0.1sec I can see the preview properly but then I get the wired and unusable output. Please help & fix !
I am on latest iOS and latest App version.

IMG_0473DC7F146A-1.jpeg

R u using iPhone 14 Pro?
HEVC (h.265) codec to record?
Are you recording to local or attached drive?

Yes I am using an iPhone 14 Pro with iOS 17.1.1 and 256GB
Yes I set it to HEVC h.265 in your App
No local of course. I doubt that you can record via Lightning cable to an external device.

I tried it as well in the morning and still same results. I created as well a video. As I am not allowed to post URLs please delete the blank space after com
youtube.com /watch?v=gI2dfqIjisM

I got contacted as well by Jay Chastney Team Lead - Broadcast Support as I contacted the support team as I could not believe the error/issue. He has got as well a google drive link where I uploaded 4 video clips 1 one and 3 others where you can see the issue and footage. I would love to get a feedback what caused the issue. At the beginning I thought maybe its the wind recording but no as the one clip in the morning there is no wind at all. You can see as well it might be a layer issue. Check 2:00 as for 0.1 sec you can see the clip but then gets on this strange overlay in the media tab.

Philipp Walz

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 11:43 am

I get some weird frame rates when shooting 25fps.
I open my clips in DaVinci, FCPX or QuickTime. Sometimes, the frame rate is 24.99, sometimes it’s 25,01.
Pete

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 12:41 pm

That's unfortunately normal with smartphones, they all do VFR, and I doubt BM can do much about it.
If I use airplane mode, I get very small variations, like between 29.985 fps and 30.030 (if set to 30 fps).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Peter McLennan

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 3:38 pm

Attempting to diagnose audio irregularities with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max, I discovered that the BMD camera app is using my hearing aids as its audio input. I can walk twenty feet away from the phone and still record perfect, close-mic'd audio.

Changing mic input in the app from "auto" to front, rear or bottom of the phone has no effect. In fact, there appears to be no way to get the BMD app to record audio other than through the hearing aids.

The native Apple video app doesn't exhibit these characteristics. Audio recording there is done by the phone's microphones. Playback of that audio through the hearing aids is excellent but I can't monitor live audio from the phone the way I can when using the BMD app.

I took the hearing aids off and put them in another room and started a recording on the phone in an adjacent room. I entered the hearing aids room and approached them, talking all the time. The app recorded no audio. Not even when I spoke directly into them. It appears they'd lost Bluetooth connection with the phone.

Playback of a previously recorded file and audio was fine.

This explains the notifications I was getting in the hearing aids the other day when I walked away from the camera while it was recording time lapse. The BMD app was telling me that it had lost audio input.

The good news is that I have a wireless mic. The bad news is that it only works to record me. :)

The other bad news is that the hearing aids mics, while of excellent quality, are fairly susceptible to wind noise.

If the devs are reading this, the hearing aids are Phonak. High end units, standard Bluetooth link to the phone.

I'd really like to choose to disable or control this behaviour.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 3:57 pm

In Apple iPhone / Settings / Bluetooth you should see all your Bluetooth enabled devices including the hearing aid. Select the hearing aid and then Forget This Device.
Rick Lang

Peter McLennan

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 5:55 pm

rick.lang wrote:In Apple iPhone / Settings / Bluetooth you should see all your Bluetooth enabled devices including the hearing aid. Select the hearing aid and then Forget This Device.

Rick, that would disable all other hearing aid/phone/internet functions until I go through the pairing function again. A workaround, but a sub-optimal solution. Web searches, notifications, podcasts, music, audiobooks via hearing aids is game changing. FAR better than earbuds.

It gets worse. Something is mysteriously and unpredictably resetting my ringtone/alarms/other notifications audio levels to max. A phone call results in the inside-my-head sound so loud I jump when it appears. I'm suspecting that this is related to the BMD app, too.

First world problems...
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 7:51 pm

While you are using Blackmagic Cam app, if there are no other aspects using the app that relies on Bluetooth, then you can disable Bluetooth just for Blackmagic Cam.
Rick Lang

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 10:33 pm

What was set as the audio input? iPhone Microphone or the Bluetooth hearing aid?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter McLennan

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:What was set as the audio input? iPhone Microphone or the Bluetooth hearing aid?

Aghhh! I never knew such a choice existed! :( How embarrassing.

Thanks, Peter

Peter McLennan

PostFri Nov 24, 2023 8:31 pm

A few of times while shooting in H.265 log, hand held with image stablization set to "extreme", I've noticed that as soon as the recording begins, the image will suddenly jump from the set exposure to something a few stops lighter and AF will jump out of "lock" to auto. I can restore the settings immediately, manually. It doesn't always happen, just "sometimes". I'll test more to see if I can duplicate this issue.

Further to my embarrassing audio inputs posts, if I set the hearing aids intentionally as the mic input, the wireless microphone function works really well. It's not perfect, but it seems only limited by the hearing aids microphones and wind and handling noise. I tested this morning and made a recording fifty feet from the camera. Fortunately, there was no wind.

I wonder if this function will also work with earbuds...

Mark A

Re: Camera App Offloading Footage and other small issues

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 3:02 am

I was able to use the "Files" app on my new iPhone to get into the Blackmagic Media directory and upload my first test video to my Google Drive. Downloading from my Drive to my Windows workstation was a lot faster. Then I used "Files" to delete the test video.

I was hoping that I could connect to my PC via USB and just transfer files like I do with Android. Unfortunately, the Blackmagic directory was not available. iOS has some strange quirks.

I checked into PhotoSync. The iOS app comes from the German company that Robert mentioned. The PhotoSync app at the Microsoft store comes from a Chinese company. I'll go with the German version on their website.

When it came time for a new phone the Blackmagic Camera app convinced me to switch to an iPhone. Without that I would have stayed on Android which I find easier to use.

Peter McLennan

Re: Camera App Offloading Footage and other small issues

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 6:00 pm

Mark A wrote:Without that I would have stayed on Android which I find easier to use.

I'm suffering the same changeover difficulties after ten years of Android phones.

A nice lady at Apple support said that my difficulties were typical and that it usually took about three weeks to adapt. So far, I agree.

The "Files" app on my phone, while quirky, is functional and fast. Transfers of tens of GB from iPhone to PC via a USB SSD are pretty seamless now.

Mark A

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 10:18 pm

The Files app on my iPhone won't recognize my SSD. How did you get that to work? I was able to use PhotoSync over USB to my desktop.

robedge

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 10:35 pm

Mark A wrote:The Files app on my iPhone won't recognize my SSD. How did you get that to work? I was able to use PhotoSync over USB to my desktop.

The phones recognise some models of SSD and not others. For example, they won't work with at least some Gen 4 SSDs, possibly because they draw more power than the phones can deliver.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Mark A

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 10:51 pm

Thanks. I got it to work this time on a Samsung T5 and T7. It's taking me a while to get used to the iPhone. I miss the regular file tree I see on Windows, Linux and Android.

robedge

PostWed Nov 29, 2023 11:17 pm

The phones will also apparently work with a Samsung 980. If you want to send footage on your phone to an external SSD, the attraction is that the data rate is almost double that of a T5/T7: However, there's no speed benefit if you're using the SSD to record to. The T5/T7 already run faster than the phone can record. Samsung's and Amazon's current price for a 1TB 980 is $70.

Peter McLennan

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 12:11 am

One nice thing about the T7 is that, on my medium-spec system at least, I can edit directly from the drive.

Giuliano Viana

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 12:20 am

Hi, i found this topic, and I mean, this is the correct place to tell the bug I found:

Device 13 mini

BUG:

After recording a video—during, every thought is okay—the image stays upside down when I change between the font and the rear cameras, after save the file. Start the video correctly, but after changing, it turns upside down in the other camera(s) and returns to normality after I return to the original camera.

I desire its solved in 1.3 version!
Last edited by Giuliano Viana on Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 12:47 am

@Peter
Well, I wouldn’t do that without making a backup first.
@Guliano
Do you change cameras mid recording?
@Mark
How is your SSD formatted? The iPhone will not recognise NTFS drives. But if you want cross compatibility, I'd suggest exFAT, which works. OTOH, it's less reliable than HFS+ (Apple's older format) and there is software to read those on a PC.
The only other reason I can imagine is a drive pulling too much power, which is true for a Samsung 980 Pro, for example. Then an externally powered hub would help.

@Those who changed from Android: I know how you feel. When I was reviewing the older Sony Xperia for event docs (where it failed in one important aspect), I also decided to xperience it in daily use, not only for testing photos and film. Took me quite a while to adapt…

robedge

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 2:18 am

Uli Plank wrote:The only other reason I can imagine is a drive pulling too much power, which is true for a Samsung 980 Pro, for example.

Maybe worth noting that a Samsung 980 and a 980 Pro aren't the same thing, the former working because it's Gen 3, and the latter being Gen 4.

Uli Plank

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 2:31 am

Absolutely, thanks, Rob.

fivepiecekit

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I've had an issue where, regardless of using a connected external mic (Rode VideoMic NTG) or one of the internal mics for my iPhone 15 Pro Max, the auto gain adjuster is grayed out and therefore not adjustable. Though the slider is stuck at zero, the mic records audio just fine, albeit because there is no way to adjust gain it easily peaks. I have checked settings and the website "user guide" (though one doesn't really exist) to ensure that I didn't miss something and somehow lock the auto gain slider like one can with some of the camera settings and have not found that the issue is on my end.

I have also noticed that the gain control on my Rode VideoMic NTG has no affect on the gain within the app like it does with other video recording apps (Filmic Pro, for example), and in cases where the in-app auto gain is functional, I can still easily peak the audio despite the auto gain being at zero unless I enable the -20db pad on the Rode.

Unless I've just totally missed something, I would love to see this bug addressed, and I would love to see external mic gain control functionality built into the app similar to Filmic Pro where one has both in-app gain control, but also on-mic gain control working in tandem.

ilRasta

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 2:51 pm

Placing iPhone in landscape mode, whit volume buttons upside (and the cameras on the right side), all the interface remain upside down; it's very difficult to use controls in this orientation (on gimbals for example); please, correct this issue.

The app is amazing!

Giuliano Viana

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 3:03 pm

Uli Plank wrote:@Guliano
Do you change cameras mid recording?

I olny instaled the app and this issue stay there. After i try solve them changing the options (like stay orientation, or flip to lens), but the issue continuous, all the time i change from frontal to main and UW or vice-versa.

Photocumbria

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 3:56 pm

fivepiecekit wrote:Unless I've just totally missed something, I would love to see this bug addressed, and I would love to see external mic gain control functionality built into the app similar to Filmic Pro where one has both in-app gain control, but also on-mic gain control working in tandem.

Have you updated the firmware on the Rode Mic? And are you connecting via USB-C rather than the 3.5mm jack?

jamiewds

Re: Blackmagic Camera App - General discussion and Releases

PostThu Nov 30, 2023 10:58 pm

I'm using an Iphone13 pro and the stabilisation doesn't work. No matter what setting I use, it doesn't change the stabilisation. I'm currently using Filmic so I know it works. The other thing that would be beneficial is playback speed. In Filmic you can change that, so you can watch the slowmo, but in the BM app I haven't been able to change it.

They're the two biggest reasons I haven't switched, but otherwise, the app is great and once these features have been added, would be happy to change.

kfriis

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 12:06 pm

First few frames clobbered

Just a heads-up on a reproducible "hiccup" - here ProRES recording - but I suspect it is a general hardware behaviour to varying degrees based on options selected - and not necessarily the codec used. The following data should not be regarded as more, than a general tendency varying with the actual exposure environment. The examples were "construed" to make certain, that the effect was seen.

I've recently mentioned, that "Cinematic mode" has a "nasty" side effect in some situations (compared to "standard mode" stabilization). It is easily reproduced.

In the following, assume 25fps and 1/25s, ProRES 422 (similar results with ProRES 422HQ) fully manual settings (no autofocus either), white balance locked from start. Internal recording in local folder (not Photo library). Choose a high ISO value (in my case, highlights would be blown at virtually any ISO).

Aim the camera at a bright window (purpose is to really blow the highlights). A few seconds recording will suffice nicely. Frame numbers are manually counted, frame by frame, in the sample imported into Davinci Resolve Studio.

60Hz flicker setting (Cinematic mode)
The two frames will show near perfect exposure (in effect, camera is in automatic mode). The following two frames are exposed slightly "warmer". Following frame (5) will be nearing "blowout", the following frames will quickly adjust to "fully blown", and continue in a stable fashion from around frame 17.

Key frame rate data:
Billedratemodus : Variabel
Billedfrekvens : 24,922 FPS
Minimum billedfrekvens : 20,007 FPS
Maksimum billedfrekvens : 25,021 FPS

50Hz flicker setting (Cinematic mode)
First four frames will show near perfect exposure. The following frame "varmer", then same development toward a stable "blowout" around frame 25. Difference to 60Hz flicker compensation may not be significant.

Key frame rate data:
Billedfrekvens : 24,927 FPS
Minimum billedfrekvens : 20,007 FPS

50Hz flicker setting (Standard mode)
Stable from first frame (fully "blown").

Key frame rate data:
Billedfrekvens : 25,000 FPS
Minimum billedfrekvens : 24,990 FPS

The "Standard mode" stabilization is very near constant frame rate. The "Cinematic mode" stabilization introduces some wild speed variations, as well as hugely varying content (in fully manual mode, specified in the start of this post).

Note, that in all three samples, the metadata were identical:

com.blackmagic-design.shutterMode : Speed
com.blackmagic-design.shutterSpeed : 1/25
com.blackmagic-design.camera.iso : 568
com.blackmagic-design.camera.whiteBalanc : 7220

I have other examples of "Cinematic mode", in fully automatic, 25fps, 1/25s (the After Snow, After dark sample in an earlier post), where the original ProRES file exhibited these data:

Minimum billedfrekvens : 24,979 FPS
Maksimum billedfrekvens : 25,031 FPS

Since automatic mode was selected from start, no problems arose in the first frames.

I assume, that the "processing pipeline" was less affected in this case, hence the system as a whole was less stressed from the beginning.

I have not (yet) established, if it is a case of only the first frame(s) being affected. Neither have I tested, if the last single or few frames in a recording can vary also, and if so, degree also depending on settings.

Maybe, just maybe, the VBR status of files is depending on settings, and just especially pronounced by the selection of "Cinematic mode" stabilisation. Other settings may also have some significance here, but the "blowout" samples (easily reproduced by you), indicates, that we may also see initial "flutter" in the frame rate in the first few frames of a recording ("flutter" affected by some initial "heavy lifting" from an "initial" default (semi-)automatic exposure state).

I'm looking for a tool, that makes it possible to extract imbedded timestamps of a ProRES recording, but until then: "beware of the gremlins" ;-)

This behaviour is probably caused by the Apple hardware not always able to get up to speed in all settings, initially "dropping" the correct timing for the first one or two frames (ideally) or worse in some situations. Both Cinema P3 and Blackmagic Camera exhibit similar behaviour.

If you have knowledge of a usable tool, or even can supply a link to a free tool (including script if required) to extract pertinent info, I'd be very grateful.

Whether an option postponing the start of a recording has any meaningful effect is unknown.

Regards and remember to have a bit of fun every day

kfriis

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 1:26 pm

First few frames clobbered (continued)

Forgot to mention, that ALL Camera Apps automatically activates Focus mode "Do Not Disturb", when started (and automatically disables the Focus Mode, after exit).

Regards and remember to have a bit of fun each day

beyonddocean

Anamorphic export from Blackmagic app seems has a bug

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 4:29 am

Hi all
I recently bought a 1.33 anamorphic lens using with my iPhone 15 pro and Blackmagic app, I desqueez the capture ratio through the app to 1.33 and once the video is in my phone gallery is fine, however as soon as I touch the edit for colour grading on the iPhone the aspect ratio will change.
I used other apps such as VideoLut and Tone, and once I upload the video, it is not shown in a proper ratio, for example on VideoLut there’s a green screen for extra ratio than 16:9 and on Tone it just converts the video to 16:9.

I thought the problem might be for the video editing apps and I tried to go same way through FilmicPro and I saw everything is just fine and no issue at all.

Obviously using this aspect ratio does not need the lens to be installed and everyone can check and try it but I checked it in both ways.

Could anyone advise please if you have same problem or I should change something. Thanks

Photocumbria

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 11:52 am

This might be a new one...

I'm finding that having an SSD connected to the iPhone (15 Pro Max, iOS 17.2b4) disconnects the Tilta Nucleus Nano.

I've tried with a hub, without a hub (both powered and unpowered) and different SSDs, but the result is the same; the BMC app stops recognising the Nano either immediatly, or after a very short while.

Without an SSD it all works perfectly as expected.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen the same result.

It's reported to Apple under feedback ID: FB13438314, should you want to add to the report.

kfriis

PostSat Dec 16, 2023 8:24 pm

Blackmagic Camera Memory Release Problem

Environment: BlackMagic Camera 1.2.00076 and iOS 17.2

Conclusion

BlackMagic Camera does not succeed in deleting own created files in iPhone memory.

CinemaP3 deletes own created files consistently.

BlackMagic Camera reserved file space is only reclaimed after rebooting the iPhone.

Documentation
Anyone should be able to reproduce problem, unless my environment is unique in some way.

Complete report including all Screendump are found here:
Title: “Memory Release Bug.pdf”
Link: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/08by ... elease_Bug

File may be removed after January 31, 2024 without prior warning.

Regards

shaybly

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 12:30 am

How do I delete this post?
Last edited by shaybly on Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 12:44 am

Works perfectly fine here for over an hour in 25 fps. I'll try 24.

Edit: I can record an hour of 24 fps just fine too.

Peter McLennan

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 4:30 am

I'm seeing irregularities when shooting time lapse. I'm shooting h.265 4K to internal memory.

I lock exposure and focus before shooting by long pressing on the screen until I see the focus/exposure lock notification.

I nearly always see an anomaly during the first second of recording. Exposure will jump about a stop hotter than what I'd set. Sometimes focus will jump soft during that same first second, as is shown in one of these clips.

Other instantaneous changes in exposure and other weird artifacts are evident here, too.

I haven't yet tried recording in Pro Res to see if these problems exist there, too. I love HEVC's 10 bit 4:2:2 tiny files.

I truly hope this is operator error. Any advice appreciated.

Note, the Youtube footage is ungraded, right out of the camera. I've included the entire clip in each case in order to show the first-second of recording problems. Full screen viewing reveals the problems best.

robedge

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 5:20 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:I'm seeing irregularities when shooting time lapse.

Nice footage, in that clip and the others that you've made with the phone. The jump is evident, but I have no suggestions to offer. I'm with you on HEVC.

You live in a beautiful part of British Columbia.

Peter McLennan

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 7:06 pm

I'll shoot some Pro Res timelapse tests today. If that fixes it, fine. Disappointing, but I can live with it.

If not, the time lapse function is unusable.

In retrospect, I should have graded the footage before uploading it. I was intent on preserving the original for forensic purposes.

Thanks for your input Rob. Any others with Blackmagic Cam TL experience out there?

Peter McLennan

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 8:44 pm

After a half dozen test shots, I've found that, when shooting Pro Res 4K 4:2:2 LT, most of the anomalies have disappeared.

I did see a couple of exposure and white balance jumps, as opposed to finding them in nearly every shot.

The only difference (other than the recording format) is that most of the tests were interiors rather than exteriors.

A five second shot from a five minute exposure duration results in a file that's between 200 and 600 MB, as opposed to 20-50 MB in h.265.

More testing required.

kfriis

PostMon Dec 18, 2023 8:52 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:After a half dozen test shots, I've found that, when shooting Pro Res 4K 4:2:2 LT, most of the anomalies have disappeared.

I did see a couple of exposure and white balance jumps, as opposed to finding them in nearly every shot.

The only difference (other than the recording format) is that most of the tests were interiors rather than exteriors.

A five second shot from a five minute exposure duration results in a file that's between 200 and 600 MB, as opposed to 20-50 MB in h.265.

More testing required.

I haven't tried the Timelapse mode (other than verifying identical settings behaviour described in the following), but if you use fully auto (with autolock of white balance, when recording starts), then ISO looses the "Auto setting", when you lock the shutter value just before starting the recording. It seems to be a genuine "lock" (without being indicated), but no guarantee.

Try it. It may even work.

The new version from today seems to behave similar to the previous, from a few days ago.

Regards

Peter McLennan

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 2:50 am

Time lapse recording in the h.265 HEVC codec remains disappointing, despite the extraordinary promise shown by those parts of the files that don't show errors.

Time lapse files recorded using the Pro Res 4:2:2 LT codec are marginally better, but still show temporal anomalies that need addressing before the time lapse function can be relied on for professional work.

Even when the ISO, shutter speed and white balance are manually selected and left in "select" mode, with the operator not relying on the "long press the screen to select the lock exposure and focus" function, problems persist. Some errors are apparently as short as one or two frames in duration. Most of them are glaringly obvious. Most of them would be difficult to eliminate in post.

I see focus changes both from good focus suddenly going bad and bad focus suddenly going good. I see instantaneous white balance changes, despite that function being supposedly "locked" during exposure. I very frequently see abrupt changes in exposure during the first few frames of a sequence and elsewhere in the clip. Sometimes fine patterns of high contrast subject matter (bare tree branches) will show a few frames where the branches suddenly have white haloes, as if they've had extreme sharpening applied.

These changes appear seemingly at random. Some five second shots are perfect. In the accompanying YouTube, I've included a couple to show that perfection is possible. Unfortunately, however, most are flawed.

Thanks to kfriis for pointing me to a more rigorous approach to locking exposure and focus. Unfortunately, they don't solve the problems.

I've created a new YouTube, this one with a rough grade so these problems can be better seen. Full screen viewing directly on YouTube is encouraged. As is any advice from those more experienced with this function than I.

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 2:56 am

Did you try Cinema P3? It's free for one week.

Peter McLennan

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 3:01 am

Uli, no. I haven't. I'll take a look, although I'd really like the BMC app to work.

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 3:05 am

Me too, but until then…

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 5:04 am

Uli Plank wrote:Did you try Cinema P3? It's free for one week.
The In-app Purchase offers a free 7-day trial of Cinema P3 Pro.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 5:22 am

Thanks, Rick, I didn’t give all details.
I gave it a try, though, and I can’t spot any artifacts over 50 minutes (recording time) in ProRes 422 HQ.

kfriis

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 3:53 pm

@Peter McLennan, timelapse

I can confirm, that the focus can be all “wonky” (like a lottery, really).

I made two “few-frame” Timelapse’s initially, to check settings etc.

Followed by the long Timelapse (one frame each 5 seconds).

For all recordings, I made sure to lock focus. Shutter locked. Whitebalance auto locked. ISO seemed locked. Stabilization off.

The good thing is, that the result ends up with constant speed 25fps.

The real “downer” is, that in the large timelapse nothing is in focus.

Filstørrelse : 865 MiB
    Varighed : 15sek. 480 ms
    Samlet bitratemodus : Variabel
    Samlet bitrate : 469 Mb/s
    Kodet den : 2023-12-19 14:48:40 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-19 15:20:55 UTC
    Skrivende bibliotek : Apple QuickTime
    com.apple.proapps.manufacturer : Apple Inc.
    com.apple.proapps.clipID : IMG_0010
    com.apple.proapps.reel : 1
    com.apple.proapps.scene : 1
    com.apple.proapps.shot : 1
    com.apple.proapps.isGood : 0
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.dayNight : Day
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.environment : Interior
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.dateRecorde : 2023-12-19T15:48:40+0100
    com.blackmagic-design.shutterMode : Speed
    com.blackmagic-design.shutterSpeed : 1/25
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.iso : 1600
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.whiteBalanc : 7270
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.whiteBalanc : 10
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.aperture : f1.8
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.lensType : iPhone 15 Pro 24mm
    com.blackmagic-design.sensorFPS : 25
    com.apple.proapps.cameraName : A
    com.blackmagic-design.camera.guides.safe : 85
    com.apple.quicktime.software : Blackmagic Cam 1.2.10003
    com.apple.quicktime.model : Apple iPhone 15 Pro 24mm
    com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2023-12-19T15:48:40+0100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : ProRes
    Formatversion : Version 0
    Formatprofil : 422
    Codec-ID : apcn
    Varighed : 15sek. 480 ms
    Bitratemodus : Variabel
    Bitrate : 469 Mb/s
    Bredde : 3.840 billedpunkter
    Højde : 2.160 billedpunkter
    Størrelsesforhold : 16:9
    Billedratemodus : Konstant
    Farverum : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Skantype : Progressiv
    Bits/(Billedpunkter*Billed) : 2.260
    Strømstørrelse : 865 MiB (100%)
    Titel : Core Media Video
    Skrivende bibliotek : Apple
    Kodet den : 2023-12-19 14:48:40 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-19 15:20:55 UTC
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Overførselskarakteristika : HLG
    Matrix-coefficienter : BT.2020 non-constant

I didn’t note any jump in exposure at all. The timelapse was mentioned to show the difference between “official sundown” to “real sundown” some significant time later. That worked amicably, but the focus was constantly way off for all 387 frames. No pumping at all either. Locked into weirdness?

At start, the focus looked completely correct (focus assist on, deep red visible, overlays shown etc).

Recordings was done to external Acasis Hub (with internal 2TB Samsung 981A NvME) and powered from Powerbank (88% power left, when stopping timelapse)

IF you save your settings into a preset, and make them downloadable, I could make a stab at testing in my environment, after making the download (one of the coming days, time permitting). Remember to note any manual steps (and the order) to take, just before pressing “AAAACTION”.

Regards

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 4:38 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Thanks, Rick, I didn’t give all details.
I gave it a try, though, and I can’t spot any artifacts over 50 minutes (recording time) in ProRes 422 HQ.
That’s great. The timing could have been perfect as I’m at a theatrical dress rehearsal tomorrow (Wednesday) and I possibly could have tested it with ProRes 422HQ.

However late yesterday the producer asked me to shoot the production stills Wednesday! I use the IPhone with the Zacuto Smart Z-Finder for those and shoot about 150 pictures. I need to give all my attention to shooting the stills.

Alternatively, I could use my Canon Rebel XT (2005) with a zoom for only about 70 shots. I could set up the phone and just let it record using Cinema P3 Pro unattended for more than two hours. I have nearly 900 GB free on the iPhone 14 Pro.
Rick Lang

Peter McLennan

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 5:22 pm

Yesterday afternoon I contacted Cinema P3 via the support function on their website and received a reply within hours from somebody named Tom. The developer, apparently.

Tom assured me that Cinema P3 records time lapse output files in whatever codec you've specified in the app. 10 bit 4K H.265 Apple Log included. He also assured me that transfer of those files from iPhone to SSD used the exact same procedure I've been using with the "Files" app.

I'll install it today. At $10.99 USD, I'll purchase it outright, if only to avoid "in-app purchases" :evil:

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 5:37 pm

I’ve setup everything on Cinema P3 Pro except I don’t see how to get my Tentacle Sync to provide Timecode to the app. It would have to be over Bluetooth as I can’t use the Lightning port on the iPhone 14 Pro for that as I understand it.

I’ve sent a note to the developer.
Rick Lang
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography