BMCC6K Facts and Findings

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mt. Bee

Re: BMCC6K Facts and Findings

PostSun Dec 31, 2023 10:04 pm

Alex Mitchell wrote:I don't want to be a luddite but why do people want 4K/UHD output from the CC6K again? For external recording?

Call me crazy but if it keeps the cost down or it contributes to the reliability of the camera, 1080p is perfect. I'm not saying we won't make the switch eventually but we're still monitoring in 1080p on Tier-A union shows and I'm not sure when that'll change. Hell, I feel like the only person on set even close enough to their monitor to benefit from it would be the 1st ACs, and 1080p works well enough that they're usually more concerned about making sure their signal is stable and clean.

I will work with 3 cameras, all of which will record in 4K/50p on an internal SD card. They are not served and stand alone on a tripod. Recording possible for up to 2 hours.
Zoom and camera movement are done on the computer thanks to 4k or 6k

It is correct that the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K does not have a time limit of 29 minutes??
This is important!
Please correct me if I am misinformed, thank you.

For short recordings / live events of around an hour, I make a live mix with OBS. I capture this live mix at the HDMI output of the camera with: Blackmagic DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder.
Online FullHD is enough here for streaming.
I absolutely need Clean HDMI Out, no “rec” display either!

I need to simultaneously save these live events to the camera's internal SD card in at least 4K.
As a backup.

I need to save these live events, what I put together with OBS, on the computer at the same time.
A memory or trailer may possibly be edited from this later, so it is important that this recording:
Starting from the HDMI output of the camera, going into the computer, in at least 4K is possible.

That's the reason why I'm now buying 3 new cameras, preferably Blackmagic, if they can't do that I'll have to look for another manufacturer :-(

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 12:30 am

Why do you think that lenses can send to camera stabilising data’s?

Stabilized lenses work all in one, grab form camera power and option on off about use or not stabilising, but them not communicated with body about how to stabilize or kind of stabilization.

If you think that you can record gyro (body motion) and lenses motion you should first find a lenses with a processor that record and transmit this data and second find a way to code this datas which is very different to simple Xyz hpb from body cam.

Lenses had very different kind of stabilisation, different inertial moment, different direction of stabilisation and some times compensation of inclination.
I would like to have a choose to enable both, but I know enough to understand that is not so simple to do that, and not with actual lenses on market.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

housejacket

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 12:39 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:Why do you think that lenses can send to camera stabilising data’s?

Stabilized lenses work all in one, grab form camera power and option on off about use or not stabilising, but them not communicated with body about how to stabilize or kind of stabilization.

If you think that you can record gyro (body motion) and lenses motion you should first find a lenses with a processor that record and transmit this data and second find a way to code this datas which is very different to simple Xyz hpb from body cam.

Lenses had very different kind of stabilisation, different inertial moment, different direction of stabilisation and some times compensation of inclination.
I would like to have a choose to enable both, but I know enough to understand that is not so simple to do that, and not with actual lenses on market.

I’m not saying that the camera can read lens stabilization data or work with it like a closed Canon or Sony optical/IBIS system. I’m simply wanting the ability to stabilize optically and also later enable gyro stabilization in post to possibly correct rolling shutter.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 4:29 pm

housejacket wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:Why do you think that lenses can send to camera stabilising data’s?

I’m not saying that the camera can read lens stabilization data or work with it like a closed Canon or Sony optical/IBIS system. I’m simply wanting the ability to stabilize optically and also later enable gyro stabilization in post to possibly correct rolling shutter.
I understand your request But actually you cannot have it. I only exposed the tech reason why you can have it now. Gyro suppose distortion, motion, rolling shutter correction from XYZHPB motion of body with focal length X, if you have additional lenses correction before light it sensor all gyro data’s are wrong.
The only way to work with both is that lenses communicate to camera the image correction, but actually don’t do that

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 4:42 pm

BMD cameras all will record for as long as they have media available. That’s a design criteria.
Rick Lang

Lexicon

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 1:39 am

better image quality than Komodo OG and the other BM s35 cameras

RubenS89

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 12:05 pm

Lexicon wrote:better image quality than Komodo OG and the other BM s35 cameras

To my eyes the Komodo has better color separation and better skin tones. Also the image is a touch more smooth and natural (probably better OLPF).

Adam Langdon

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 1:39 pm

I would say the Komodo OG vs the Ursa 12k is a better comparison, image-wise.
This just goes to show you that most sensors nowadays produce great image and with a little tweaking, the colors can look very similar and mostly match with a few minutes in Resolve.

It sounds a bit silly, but one of the 'issues' (and I say that lightly), is the boot-up time of the 6k FF still depends on the media size you're shooting with. Meaning, I was always shooting with 256Gb CFast on the P6kPro and now that I've bumped up to 512Gb and 1Tb cards on the 6kFF, I'm having to pause before shooting when coming directly out of the camera turning on, as the camera has to scan the card completely before use. This is more of a "makes sense" thing, in that I just need to plan for it and try to limit the "oh crap, I need to film right now!" moments.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

housejacket

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 3:10 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:I would say the Komodo OG vs the Ursa 12k is a better comparison, image-wise.
This just goes to show you that most sensors nowadays produce great image and with a little tweaking, the colors can look very similar and mostly match with a few minutes in Resolve.

It sounds a bit silly, but one of the 'issues' (and I say that lightly), is the boot-up time of the 6k FF still depends on the media size you're shooting with. Meaning, I was always shooting with 256Gb CFast on the P6kPro and now that I've bumped up to 512Gb and 1Tb cards on the 6kFF, I'm having to pause before shooting when coming directly out of the camera turning on, as the camera has to scan the card completely before use. This is more of a "makes sense" thing, in that I just need to plan for it and try to limit the "oh crap, I need to film right now!" moments.
I use a 1TB CFExpress card in my BMCC6k FF and I don’t notice a big lag in boot up time—but there is a marked difference in switching to playback mode. My BMPCC4k switches modes quickly using a 512GB CFast 2.0 card, the 6k FF blacks out for a good few seconds.

John Brawley

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 4:18 pm

RubenS89 wrote:

To my eyes the Komodo has better color separation and better skin tones. Also the image is a touch more smooth and natural (probably better OLPF).

I’ve shot a bit of OG Komodo. I might disagree with you here. I’ll also add the noise from OG Komodo makes anything higher than 400 ISO unusable in my view.

I have t shot X yet but it seems it’s a stop better.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Lexicon

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 4:55 am

Nice comparison. In terms of image quality it seems that Cinema Camera 6K has an advantage over URSA Mini G2.

Tom Roper

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 1:59 pm

I notice that BMD cameras maintain consistency between models. Do the same comparisons to other brands and the differences would be more obvious.

ShaheedMalik

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 2:45 pm

Tom Roper wrote:I notice that BMD cameras maintain consistency between models. Do the same comparisons to other brands and the differences would be more obvious.

Blackmagic Color Science is solid.

Omar Mohammad

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:Blackmagic Color Science is solid.

With Color Match function the colors are impeccable.
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU cores, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.4
BMCC6K-FF | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 Adaptor
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 4:07 pm

Omar Mohammad wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:Blackmagic Color Science is solid.

With Color Match function the colors are impeccable.

Yeah. I love my Color Checker Video.

Lexicon

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 12:20 am

"Here is a collection of moments from my trip to New York City. Shot on the BMCC6K. All shot handheld in 6K BRAW Open Gate, in 24 or 36 fps. Canon EF 24-105mm F4L is II USM with Sigma adapter. NISI VND." (Florent Piovesan)

scorsesefan

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 am

Nice shots. Here's a tip for one of the most cinematic spots you can find in NYC, Domino Park. It's right under the Williamsburg Bridge in Brooklyn and offers great views of the bridge and the Manhattan skyline.

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 3:07 am

Good to know. Maybe it will show up in the next season of The Gilded Age.
Last edited by rick.lang on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Lexicon

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 11:57 am

The BMCC6K seems to hold up pretty well with the correct exposure and adjustments (low light performance and rolling shutter are behind).

WahWay

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 11:26 am

Not seen a firmware update since the camera was released. Curious what future firmware updates will we be seeing?
Auto lighting optimizer to even out brightness to evercome vignetting which is prevelent with lenses on FF sensors. This is an old tech other manufacturers has been using so I be surprise if it is not coming.
Custom de-squeeze for anamorphic lens employed on a slider.
Gyro setting simplified, limit to what setting works with hint rather than trial and error.
Live streaming ability with graphic overlays.

For future BMD cameras, world first selectable OLPFs using similar technique to selectable internal NDs.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 12:13 pm

Correction of vignetting and/or distortion is usually limited to the same manufacturers lenses.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

housejacket

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 2:27 pm

WahWay wrote:Not seen a firmware update since the camera was released. Curious what future firmware updates will we be seeing?
Auto lighting optimizer to even out brightness to evercome vignetting which is prevelent with lenses on FF sensors. This is an old tech other manufacturers has been using so I be surprise if it is not coming.
Custom de-squeeze for anamorphic lens employed on a slider.
Gyro setting simplified, limit to what setting works with hint rather than trial and error.
Live streaming ability with graphic overlays.

For future BMD cameras, world first selectable OLPFs using similar technique to selectable internal NDs.
All I really want is custom anamorphic desqueeze across all resolutions…and for the gyro stabilization to do the proper math with the resolution, frame rate, and anamorphic desqueeze.

Lexicon

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 11:33 pm

Cinematography Breakdown of Florent Piovesan's travel video "Frames of New York". All done handheld, without tripod, impressive.

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 12:26 am

Nicely done. Thanks for posting the short.

Impressive how little change there is between Before and After clips showing how little stabilization was used in post, thanks in part to using optical stabilization on the Canon 24-105 f/4, but largely due to his method of holding and moving the camera. Good illustration for taking advantage of the 3:2 frame of the BMCC6K.
Rick Lang

housejacket

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Just a quick thought…

One thing I feel people are missing (or undervaluing) with the 6k FF is that it’s also a phenomenal S35 4k camera. You get 4k DCI BRAW, no speed booster, smaller file sizes, and 60fps off-speed frame rate.

For a while, I saw more than a few people asking for a S35 4k camera from BMD. Well, here it is.

rick.lang

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Yes, that is nice to have. I’m close to that with the old UM4.6K that shoots windowed at 4K 16:9 or 4K DCI.

Super 35 film gate
4K 4:3 24.89x18.66mm
image circle 31.11

BMCC6K
4K 4:3 crop 4096x3072
image circle 30.4mm

4K DCI crop 4096x2160
image circle 27.5mm

UM4.6K
4K 16:9 crop 4096x2304
image circle 25.9mm

4K DCI crop 4096x2160
Image circle 25.5mm
Rick Lang

adleppard

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 2:59 pm

I’m experiencing that pressing Play instead locks the camera into Clean Feed. I cannot play back files on the camera. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

housejacket

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 4:43 pm

adleppard wrote:I’m experiencing that pressing Play instead locks the camera into Clean Feed. I cannot play back files on the camera. Anyone else?

Are you playing from an approved CFExpress card or USB drive?

adleppard

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 5:04 pm

housejacket wrote:
adleppard wrote:I’m experiencing that pressing Play instead locks the camera into Clean Feed. I cannot play back files on the camera. Anyone else?

Are you playing from an approved CFExpress card or USB drive?
I’ve not found an approved list of CFexpress for the BMCC6K , but I’m using two 512GB Angelbird CFexpress B SE, brand new and formatted in camera. These are the ones that seem to be most tried-and-tested in this moment!

Mt. Bee

PostFri Feb 02, 2024 12:59 pm

I don't use CFexpress cards, they are far too expensive :-O

I draw on Samsung T7 external USB drives.
These work perfectly.
I don't need an additional card reader for FCexpress and I can achieve transfer speeds of up to 800mb/s

docbobo

PostSat Feb 03, 2024 10:33 am

I was experiencing the exact same thing recently, though I did not experience that in the beginning. Your post just triggered me to think about that a little further and I realized that I had initially formatted my storage as "MacOS Extended", then later switched to exFat. Switching back to Mac OS Exended solved that problem for me, it seems

Lexicon

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 5:16 am

"This Video is a first look and first impressions of the new Blackmagic Full Frame 6K L-Mount camera. I got a change to test this out and the results are surprising! I think this cinema camera is just as good as the Sonys and even has close to RED's image quality, and should definitely be checked out!" (Kofi Yeboah)

Adam Langdon

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 3:29 pm

after using the 6kFF since launch, I've had some continuous thoughts:
- You learn to work without internal NDs. I'm not as fast as I used to be with the 6kPro, but it's not too bothersome
- I honestly don't miss the lack of Pro Res. All my clients are fine with BRAW and the levels of quality have helped with file sizes
- Having mounting options (starting with L Mount) has been really nice. I don't need to convert an EF to PL, I can do that with a sturdy adapter!
- If you can, stay at 400 ISO base, and if needed go to 1250.

All in all, almost every camera nowadays can produce high quality images.
I just gravitate towards BMD for the BRAW, OS, Cost, Quality, and the interplay with Davinci Resolve.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

kevin_p

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 7:12 pm

Can anyone comment on the cropping as I go from opengate 3:2, to 17:9 to 2.4:1? Does it punch in similar to what the p4k/6k did prior?

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 7:39 pm

BMCC6K formats (in-camera or in post)

with maximum Horizontal and/or Vertical:
open gate 6048x4032 3:2
6K DCI 6048x3200 17:9
6K Wide 6048x2520 2.4:1
6K 2x 4838x4032 6:5 anamorphic

windowed:
4K S35 4096x3072 4:3
4K DCI 4096x2160 17:9
4K/UHD 4096x2310 16:9
2K/HD S16 2112x1184 16:9
Rick Lang

Kris Limbach

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 9:15 am

housejacket wrote:Just a quick thought…

One thing I feel people are missing (or undervaluing) with the 6k FF is that it’s also a phenomenal S35 4k camera. You get 4k DCI BRAW, no speed booster, smaller file sizes, and 60fps off-speed frame rate.

For a while, I saw more than a few people asking for a S35 4k camera from BMD. Well, here it is.

I fully agree here. That was the first reason why I bought it (the second was the flexible l-mount), to use my super35 pl-mount cine primes on a small camera on 4k. And I am so happy with that decision.

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 2:14 pm

Hey everyone,

This is my 6 month review of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 6K.

I have already made a couple of videos about this camera, I have done a first impressions and hands on video, a comparison with the 6K Pro but today I want talk about my experience using it as my main camera over the past 6 months.

I don’t like to rush when I do reviews just so I can give you my honest opinion.
What I like what I don’t like about this camera and whether or not I would recommend it.

I will also touch on noise, banding and rolling shutter

Cheers,
Flo
https://www.oftwolands.com
Cameras: OG BMPCC, BMPCC6K, BMPCC6K PRO, BMCC6K
Past: UMP4.6K, BMPCC4K
Computers: Mac Studio M1 Max & MacBook Air 15 M2

Henchman

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 2:58 am

RubenS89 wrote:

I asked on a Komodo facebook group about changing from an S1H to a Komodo.
Their own users said the S1h has a better image than the Komodo.
AFAIK the S1h and BMCC 6k use the same sensor.
Last edited by Henchman on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0972296/

rick.lang

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 5:02 am

Henchman wrote:… I asked on a Komodo facebook group about changing from an S1H to a Komodo.
AFAIK the S1h and BMVV 6k use the same sensor.

Are they referring to the Komodo X?
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 11:51 pm

I know it's hard to explain, but I do think the 6kFF does have a softer highlight roll off.
Maybe I'm seeing things, or I'm just grading stuff differently, but man, I really like the look.

Darko Djerich

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 12:31 am

I really love this camera image, footage I ve seen so far online that came from experienced cinematographers is nothing short of excellence.

It is difficult to appreciate BMD cameras in general without taking in the consideration the whole workflow in general.

Behind the all cameras they have produced, it is Davinci Resolve that is driving force along with new Braw workflow.

More and more I appreciate what they did, Resolve being so stable and versatile all in platform, once understood and become familiar with it, opens up another level of filmmaking experience.
More often then not, people here, myself included, inputting wrong colour space and gamma settings, way underexposing and overexposing footage, then later on complaining about cinema camera.

10 years ago, BMD camera made me stop and re think the whole workflow, get up to speed and up the game, it is Hollywood level workflow that takes time to learn and master, denoising and colour grading footage, shooting RAW and decoding correctly in the right colour space...

Every camera will have some limitation, film included, you need to work within the limits of the system, this camera offers a lot for the money, it will easily cut in with the best high end cameras ...
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

RubenS89

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 10:16 am

Henchman wrote:I asked on a Komodo facebook group about changing from an S1H to a Komodo.
AFAIK the S1h and BMCC 6k use the same sensor.

They probably use the Sony IMX 410 sensor. Just like the S5, S5II, S5IIX.

Poozon

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 7:50 pm

All I really want is custom anamorphic desqueeze across all resolutions…and for the gyro stabilization to do the proper math with the resolution, frame rate, and anamorphic desqueeze.

I use Gyroflow for anamorphic lenses. I just had to create lens profiles and it stabilizes my videos very well.

WahWay

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 9:29 pm

I notice the 6k FF has better colour contrast or colour seperation than the 6k S35 cameras.

housejacket

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 10:34 pm

Poozon wrote:

I use Gyroflow for anamorphic lenses. I just had to create lens profiles and it stabilizes my videos very well.
What’s the workflow here? Just downloaded Gyroflow, but I’m a bit confused in Resolve. Would love to have Gyroflow correct the rolling shutter and built-in stabilization fix microjitter.

WahWay

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 5:43 am

DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Update mention "Gyro stabilzation for BMCC 6k" as an additional feature but there is no noticeable different from the previous version with this camera. Anyone notice anything diffderent? :?

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 11:01 am

housejacket wrote:
Poozon wrote:

What’s the workflow here? Just downloaded Gyroflow, but I’m a bit confused in Resolve. Would love to have Gyroflow correct the rolling shutter and built-in stabilization fix microjitter.
Rolling shutter reduction and stabilisation is present from many times on Gyro stabilisation, here seems (I’m downloading it) that they add Ai to do better.

Poozon

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 8:07 pm

housejacket wrote:What’s the workflow here? Just downloaded Gyroflow, but I’m a bit confused in Resolve. Would love to have Gyroflow correct the rolling shutter and built-in stabilization fix microjitter.

You need to install the OpenFX Gyroflow DaVinci Resolve plug-in.
And well, on Windows it works very well for me. On Mac it often consumes all the available memory (16 GB) and it often crashes Resolve. So on Mac you will probably need 32 GB of RAM or more.

adleppard

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 11:18 pm

I just published my test footage I captured with the BMCC6K and a Helios 44-2 lens in Morocco. All handheld, open gate @ 36p, no rig, no grade, but with some stabilisation, NR and sharpening in post. Feel free to have a click through!

housejacket

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 11:32 pm

Poozon wrote:
housejacket wrote:What’s the workflow here? Just downloaded Gyroflow, but I’m a bit confused in Resolve. Would love to have Gyroflow correct the rolling shutter and built-in stabilization fix microjitter.

You need to install the OpenFX Gyroflow DaVinci Resolve plug-in.
And well, on Windows it works very well for me. On Mac it often consumes all the available memory (16 GB) and it often crashes Resolve. So on Mac you will probably need 32 GB of RAM or more.
My M1 laptop runs Gryoflow and the OFX plugin just fine…just feels like the OFX plugin needs work. Seems like it’s missing an entire panel of adjustments (for instance, there are specific rolling shutter adjustments in the standalone app, but none in the OFX plugin, seems odd).
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography