Blackmagic Camera App - Feature Requests

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Philipp Walz

Re: Blackmagic Camera App - Feature Requests

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 am

Exporting/sharing clip with LUT applied and maybe some exposure adjustment. This would be great for casual shooting (and for keeping all the metadata)
Pete

restontraveler

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 5:49 pm

REAL TIME HORIZONTAL LEVEL similar to the Apple camera iOS 17 feature

captain_slocum

Blackmagic app on iPhone and Osmo Mobile 6

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 6:07 pm

Hi, great job with the app for iPhone. It is very intuitive to use and very fully featured. It works well with my Osmo mobile 6 and is now my first choice for video capture. It would be perfect if I could use the physical zoom controls of the Osma in the same way as the Osma app. Is this something you might implement later? I notice Filmic pro does not allow this either, perhaps it is not possible. Or is this something DJI have to implement? I'd be interested in your comments.

Raylavers

Re: Blackmagic Camera App - General discussion and Releases

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 4:43 am

Hi there!

Wonderful app.
The new tilta NANO II can't connect to the app at. Will we be able to in a future update?

Thanks

dzsenos

Re: Camera App and Tilta Nucleus Nano II

PostThu Nov 16, 2023 11:07 am

Hi O

As a core Blackmagic geras and workflow user I have to mention the Camera App it is just amazing, unbelievable features and stability and it comes form nothing.... Thank you!!!, I also tried with my new Tilta Nucleus Nano II and I honestly hope you will really considering to develop the connectivity with that device too that would be a mind-blowing combo.

Thanks again for you care and support.

Regards

János

Hungary

Peter McLennan

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 3:28 am

Please provide a "camera cut" audible notification to complement the existing "camera rolling" audible notification.

Please make it possible to shoot without recording proxies. They make file management/media transfers off the iPhone and on to other storage needlessly complicated.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Steve Golding

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 8:23 am

Can we have the torch working in the app please. Not very cinematic I know but, useful?

Steve.

AndreN

Re: Camera app and gimbal pairing

PostFri Nov 17, 2023 12:52 pm

It would be too cool to use the dii osmo mobile focus wheel in the blackmagic app to control focus or iso. Any better place to post that wish/feedback?

Andre.
Honestly, I hate editing.
Currently running DR18.6.6 studio on a MBP M3 pro 2023, Sonoma 14.4.1, 18gb RAM.
Coming from AVID. Working as DoP, editor, musician, just a guy for everything.
--
www.n13-media.de
www.instagram.com/xnthirteenx

Peter McLennan

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:01 am

"Halide", a still image app for iPhone, has a very user friendly focus peaking function. It only indicates the sharp zone when the user is actively adjusting focus. That way, the focus peaking doesn't get in the way when recording.

Like many things in appworld, it's a "nice to have"
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

kfriis

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 12:10 am

Peter McLennan wrote:"Halide", a still image app for iPhone, has a very user friendly focus peaking function. It only indicates the sharp zone when the user is actively adjusting focus. That way, the focus peaking doesn't get in the way when recording.

Like many things in appworld, it's a "nice to have"

If it's optional/selectable, OK with me.

I prefer the current approach. Cinema P3, use the approach, you prefer (and I HATE it).

Regards and remember to have a bit of fun every day.

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 2:07 am

I also prefer to see Focus Assist set On and staying On, but I also keep the strength as low as feasible with minimal motion in the frame. When there’s a lot of motion unfortunately one seems to need a higher strength.
Rick Lang

Peter McLennan

PostSat Dec 02, 2023 10:27 pm

I'd like to see the option of a larger histogram. The Halide app's large histogram is much easier to read, especially in difficult conditions like bright sunlight.

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 03, 2023 1:44 am

CinemaP3 can show a full screen waveform (and the other scopes too).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

eddieslide

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:43 pm

Please add support for the Tilta Nucleus Nano II.

Eddie Rutland

paul_moore_wtvt

PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:55 pm

When using for social media video creation in 9:16, would appreciate the ability to reorient the rear camera so that when switching between the front and rear, the orientation is the same

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 7:13 pm

Uli Plank wrote:CinemaP3 can show a full screen waveform (and the other scopes too).

But not during recording, I believe (or is there an option for that, Uli?).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Steve Alexander

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 7:13 pm

CinemaP3 has a face tracking auto-focus mode. Does the BMD Camera App do this in auto-focus mode?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 2:25 am

Steve Alexander wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:CinemaP3 can show a full screen waveform (and the other scopes too).

But not during recording, I believe (or is there an option for that, Uli?).

Nope, only the small one. I'd assume it takes too much computing power. CinemaP3 is more demanding than BM Camera anyway. You can see from power consumption and heat.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Adriano Oliveira

BMC App and iPhone 15 Spatial Video

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 8:09 pm

Hi, iOS 17.2 is bringing stereo recording to iPhone 15 pro. I think it would be nice to have this functionality in BM Camera App, associated with Apple Log...
It would open opportunity to work with Resolve Studio stereo capabilities as well.
-----
Adriano Oliveira
Windows 11
RTX 3060 6GB

Peter McLennan

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 11:09 pm

I agree with Adriano. Stereo audio would be great.

Peter McLennan

PostFri Dec 08, 2023 11:13 pm

I'd like the ability to temporarily disable the screen while recording time lapse. Long recordings are common with timelapse shooting and running the screen at high brightness eats battery life.

Touch to disable, touch again to enable while recording.

UPDATE: Thanks to the "Office Hours" podcast linked by Rob Edge, it's reported that the cell radio is by far the biggest power user. Airplane mode will save more battery than screen blanking.
Last edited by Peter McLennan on Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philipp Walz

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 10:01 am

Is there a chance to get optical stabilization only?
Current Standard is a mix of optical and software stabilization which results in cropping and blurred motion.

Thanks
Pete

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 10:25 am

Actually, plus overshooting.
But I'm not sure they can do much, it seems these are functions supplied by Apple per API and not fully accessible, since other apps show identical behaviour. Get a gimbal instead.

kfriis

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 1:59 pm

Preset feature request:

Add overwrite of existing preset:

Save Preset As (select an existing preset)
    Save New Preset (enter name for a new preset, preventing overwrite of existing)
    Rename preset
    Import Preset
    Export Preset

Add sort options:

Alfabetic sort (based on name)
    Codec sort order (ProRes 422HQ, ProRES 422... h265)
    Log sort order (Logs before any non-Log (i.e. HLG), secondary codec order)
    Colorspace sort order
    Speed sort order (all 25 fps, all 30 fps, all 50 fps... etc. plus remaining).

A separate switch should enable Manual (= move marker), Ascending or Descending)

The existing haphazard sort is always maintained based on.... what?

Saved current presets. Tried closing down app completely. Deleting all presets. Tried rebooting phone. Importing existing presets in various ways. Three preferred as top on the list. The three remaining. Sort remains as initially. NO obvious way to influence sort order.

Make presets sharable

If presets can be shared, then allow the following groups:

Local (only controlled locally, default: on)
    iCloud (presets placed in a named iCloud folder, default: off)
    Project based (default: off)

Standard selections could be, "Local only", "iCloud only" (editor use simplified enormously, when editor is used on a Mac), "Project override" (only the defined preset(s) for a specific project are used). Project presets only exchanged via cloud project. Project controller (via i.e. the editor app) should be able to control, whether proect presets can be modified or remain read only as well as controlling, whether project members can add project presets (or only project "controller").

Have I overlooked something? Is there a "lock presets for project users" somewhere?

Separate preset editior App

Modifying existing presets CAN be a fiddly, less than reliable approach. It can be done, but...

Why not "extract" the settings panel options into a separate App (most settings handling identical to iPhone App), then one can easily import a preset, adjust settings on a Mac in peace and quiet, then replace existing or save as new.

Regards and remember to have a bit of fun every day

Peter McLennan

PostSat Dec 09, 2023 10:51 pm

restontraveler wrote:REAL TIME HORIZONTAL LEVEL similar to the Apple camera iOS 17 feature

It's quite often difficult to evaluate the horizon level, especially if you're holding the phone in some awkward position. Like very close to the ground.

This tiny bull's eye level is my solution

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZPVSLLH?psc ... ct_details

It does require a cold shoe mount somewhere on the camera, but if you have a cage of any kind, you'll have one.

Or, a tiny dot of Velcro on both surfaces. :)

kfriis

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 12:09 am

Peter McLennan wrote:
restontraveler wrote:REAL TIME HORIZONTAL LEVEL similar to the Apple camera iOS 17 feature

It's quite often difficult to evaluate the horizon level, especially if you're holding the phone in some awkward position. Like very close to the ground.
[cut]

Now correct me, if I’m wrong, but in all those “non-awkward positions”, that most of us prefer to use most of the time, the “horizontal level” is really, really handy. You can always ignore or disable it, if you prefer ;-)

Regards and remember to have a bit of fun every day.

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 12:56 am

I'd suggest a setting for HEVC data rate.
The encoder in the iPhone is quite flexible in this regard, but the default is too low. For critical scenes you'll get a pretty 'thin' signal. Another app lets you up the data rate to a maximum of ten times more. That's equal to or better than most hybrid cameras and you get a much better signal for grading without the space needed for ProRes.

jsnbrsc

Media > Select Clips > Select All?

PostSun Dec 10, 2023 8:10 pm

Hey BM Fam,

I'm using the Blackmagic Camera app for iOS, and while this seems basic, I have to tap 175 times to delete all the files I shot with today using the app — a simple 'Select All' would solve this problem, including sharing to your computer.

Am I missing another path to this that would be much easier?
Last edited by jsnbrsc on Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

deezid

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 12:03 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I'd suggest a setting for HEVC data rate.
The encoder in the iPhone is quite flexible in this regard, but the default is too low. For critical scenes you'll get a pretty 'thin' signal. Another app lets you up the data rate to a maximum of ten times more. That's equal to or better than most hybrid cameras and you get a much better signal for grading without the space needed for ProRes.

I agree. The output sadly is full of macro blocking and smear due to the super low data rate. We need this feature.
Download my 55M Advanced Luts for the Pocket 4K and 6K and UMP12K here:
https://55media.net/55mluts/

kfriis

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 12:07 pm

deezid wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:I'd suggest a setting for HEVC data rate.

I agree. The output sadly is full of macro blocking and smear due to the super low data rate. We need this feature.

Last time I tried in Cinema P3 it had virtually no effect on “24 mm”, but a significant higher bitrate was possible on the 12 megapixel lenses on iPhone 15 Pro.

Regards

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 2:03 pm

Did you try this page? I got a much 'richer' signal when filming heavy rain on a pool surface full screen with the 24mm:
Formats.jpg
Formats.jpg (259.78 KiB) Viewed 14423 times

kfriis

PostTue Dec 12, 2023 2:47 pm

No. I used something like this (the "try maximum, and see what happens" principle):

IMG_5697.jpg
Warum kleckern, wenn man klotzen kann?
IMG_5697.jpg (252.2 KiB) Viewed 14523 times

It was some time ago, and I wasn’t satisfied with results, so I deleted the preset.

Today, I decided to test again (very quick and dirty setup), to be able to answer your question in detail, and…

HOLY MOSES!!!

I got these, dramatically superior results:

x1 lens

dateRecorded : 2023:12:12
    cinema.p3.exposureMode : Shutter Priority
    cinema.p3.exposureMeteringMode : Matrix
    cinema.p3.focusMode : AFC
    cinema.p3.iso : 5226
    cinema.p3.shutterSpeed : 1/50
    cinema.p3.shutterAngle : 180º
    cinema.p3.whiteBalanceMode : WB Lock
    WhiteBalanceKelvin : 7649
    WhiteBalanceTintCc : 2
    cinema.p3.toneMapping : Local
    cinema.p3.cameraName : Back Camera
    cinema.p3.stabilizationMode : Cinema
    cinema.p3.lensDistortion : 0.00
    com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709 : +55.682+012.4052+022.8569/
    com.apple.quicktime.location.accuracy.ho : 17.202317
    com.apple.quicktime.location.accuracy.ve : 2.400000
    com.apple.quicktime.software : Cinema P3 Pro Camera
    com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2023-12-12T14:08:34Z

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Formatprofil : Main 10@L8.5@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.13, BL+RPU, HLG compatible
    Codec-ID : hvc1
    Codec-ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Varighed : 8sek. 750 ms
    Source duration : 8sek. 798 ms
    Bitrate : 381 Mb/s
    Bredde : 3.840 billedpunkter
    Højde : 2.160 billedpunkter
    Størrelsesforhold : 16:9
    Billedratemodus : Variabel
    Billedfrekvens : 25,000 FPS
    Minimum billedfrekvens : 25,000 FPS
    Maksimum billedfrekvens : 26,087 FPS
    Farverum : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bitdybde : 10 bits
    Bits/(Billedpunkter*Billed) : 1.839
    Strømstørrelse : 398 MiB (99%)
    Source stream size : 400 MiB (100%)
    Titel : Core Media Video
    Kodet den : 2023-12-12 14:08:34 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-12 14:08:43 UTC
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Overførselskarakteristika : HLG
    Matrix-coefficienter : BT.2020 non-constant
    Codec configuration box : hvcC+dvvC

x3 lens

cinema.p3.iso : 387
    WhiteBalanceKelvin : 7298
    WhiteBalanceTintCc : 16
    cinema.p3.cameraName : Back Telephoto Camera
    com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2023-12-12T14:09:08Z

Video
    Varighed : 8sek. 232 ms
    Source duration : 8sek. 280 ms
    Bitrate : 390 Mb/s
    Billedratemodus : Konstant
    Bits/(Billedpunkter*Billed) : 1.881
    Strømstørrelse : 383 MiB (99%)
    Source stream size : 385 MiB (100%)
    Kodet den : 2023-12-12 14:09:09 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-12 14:09:17 UTC

x0.5

cinema.p3.iso : 3040
    WhiteBalanceKelvin : 6231
    WhiteBalanceTintCc : -1
    cinema.p3.cameraName : Back Ultra Wide Camera
    com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2023-12-12T14:09:24Z

Video
    Varighed : 7sek. 880 ms
    Source duration : 8sek. 558 ms
    Bitrate : 345 Mb/s
    Bits/(Billedpunkter*Billed) : 1.665
    Strømstørrelse : 324 MiB (91%)
    Source stream size : 354 MiB (100%)
    Kodet den : 2023-12-12 14:09:25 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-12 14:09:33 UTC

Again: HOLY MOSES!!!!

ISO is fluctuating wildly, and noise is to the wild side, but otherwise….

HOLY MOSES!!!!

Warrants a new and more thorough look on things (it’s just around sundown here, and I’m not planning on rigging up lights today). I’ll run some real life outdoor sessions the coming days, collecting ProRES too (my main objective) to have some material and results to compare. I’ll return, when done.

Maybe the newest iOS 17.2 (or the immediate predecessor) installed earlier today has something to do with these results. Call me solidly impressed.

The tests from “long ago” had values in the region of 20+ mbit/sec, 60+ mbit/sec and 60+ mbit/sec respectively (give or take, from memory). A far cry from the above for sure!!!

HOLY MOSES!!!!

Regards

Uli Plank

Re: Media > Select Clips > Select All?

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 1:28 am

Which camera?

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 4:36 am

That's even more data rate than a Sony A7 IV does.

And CFR with the 3x! Accident or does it work for longer takes? I don't have the Pro around any more.

robedge

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 4:49 am

Feature Request: This isn't a big issue, but it would be nice if I could turn off the eight digit timecode display when it has no function. Maybe have it happen automatically when one selects "Audio Source: None". At the moment, when I set Audio Source: None, the eight digits insist on sticking around, at the top of the display, in the centre, so I can't miss them even if I want to :)

I suppose I could set timecode to Time of Day and use it as a constant, in my face reminder of what time it is :)

Or is there an easy way to tun off the timecode display that I've managed to miss?
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

kfriis

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 9:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:That's even more data rate than a Sony A7 IV does.

And CFR with the 3x! Accident or does it work for longer takes? I don't have the Pro around any more.

That’s what I want to check. As well as checking if there are any heat problems, although that’ll probably not be that Big a problem around 0C +/- outside. I should have been in Spain Yesterday, where Valencia broke the december record with 27C.

I played a bit more, also with the 20MB setting, that delivered around 25MByte/sec for all lenses. 200 megabit/sec is about the limit for my Lumix S5 internally. Even the h265 inside my Atomos doesn’t go higher than 300 (but is 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0 at ~60fps).

I think, the “singular” outlier (~26 fps at 360 megabit/sec) is worth looking into, when I can cranck up the tools in my Windows Notebook. Just as the earlier tests showed the unusually low fps were caused by a singular “stress frame” in the beginning of a take, I have a suspicion, that this may be caused by another effect - pure speculation at the moment.

What if the ~26fps is a “side effect” of a shortened “long GOP”, when recording stops? Or… or… The sequence 25fps nominal, 25fps minimum and either 25 fps maximum (Constant) or ~26 fps maximum (Variable) caused by ???, could warrant a detailed look. Hmmm… may be anything, but certainly teasing for now.

Regards

kfriis

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 11:51 am

iOS 17.2 iPhone 15 Pro, Cinema P3 new frame rate observations

Standard settings for all cases: 25fps, 1/50s (180 degrees), shutter priority, matrix. All datasets around 25 seconds in duration, from same vantage point and handheld. Cinema P3 used, since Blackmagic Camera does not (yet?) allow user defined bitrate settings in h265. Usually the two apps display very similar behaviors with similar settings (give or take).

1. The x3 lens is always Constant fps in Cinema stabilization whether ProRES 422HQ, ProRES 422, h265 40MByte/sec (delivered: ~46MByte/sec) or h265 20MByte/sec (delivered: ~25MByte/sec)

2. The x1 and x0.5 lenses always delivers 25.000 fps minimum, 25.000 fps nominal and 26.087 fps maximum in Cinema stabilization, whether ProRES 422HQ, ProRES 422 - see exception - and whether Cinema or Standard stabilization in h265 40MByte/sec (delivered: ~46MByte/sec) or h265 20MByte/sec (delivered: ~25MByte/sec).

3. Exception: ProRES 422 on x0.5 lens delivering 24.000 fps minimum, 25.000 fps nominal and 26.087 fps maximum in Cinema stabilization. A one off 3k+ ISO situation?

Observation 1:

The nominal 25.000 fps, minimum 25.000 fps (one exception) and 26.087 fps seems to be “universal” now for x0.5 and x1 lenses (with a single, one-off exception?). One could get the impression, that Apple has “tinkered”, but still not reached home run yet (irrespectively of codec used).

Observation 2:

The x3 tele lens always delivers constant frame rate 25.000 fps irrespective of settings ProRES 422HQ/422 or h265 40MB/20MB at 25 fps and 1/50s shutter. Cinematic mode tested for all codecs.

Special note:

The iOS 17.2 update specifically made focus on the tele lens faster. So this lens has received special “speed tweaks” in the update.

Regards

P.S. I'll send all files through my analyzer tools on my Windows Notebook within a few days (time allowing), to establish if the single minimum 24.000 fps and "universal" maximum 26.087 fps values for the x1 and x0.5 lenses have a special nature. Are we talking one, unique frame/gop at the beginning or end of the files, or is it more random). If it's the first two options, are the remaining frames constant for all codec samples (ProRES 422HQ/422 and h265 40MB/20MB) otherwise same specs?

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 12:40 pm

Very interesting! By "cinematic mode" you mean the stabilisation?
I made a test immediately with the Pro Max, and the 5x is delivering 25 nominal, between 24 and 26.087.

kfriis

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 1:00 pm

Yes, I used Cinematic stabilisation for all samples, and added Standard stabilisation samples for h265. NO difference in behaviour observed, but number of samples are small.

Regards

jsnbrsc

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 7:33 pm

Sorry — I sorta forgot the basics!

I edited the original post — Blackmagic Camera app for iOS.

robedge

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 8:31 pm

jsnbrsc wrote:
Am I missing another path to this that would be much easier?

This recent video shows how to select multiple photos or videos in the Apple Photos app for deletion, export, etc. Try it:

jsnbrsc

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 8:34 pm

No no...I'm referencing the 'Media' section on the Blackmagic Camera iOS app — nothing to do with Apple Photos.

Peter McLennan

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 8:39 pm

robedge wrote:Feature Request: This isn't a big issue, but it would be nice if I could turn off the eight digit timecode display when it has no function.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but I'd like the TC display to be switchable to twice the size. :)

I shoot a lot of time lapse and the TC display tells me how long I've been shooting, or even more clearly, how much longer I have to shoot before I can cut.

Sometimes those little numbers are very difficult to read. Bigger ones would help.

robedge

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:
robedge wrote:Feature Request: This isn't a big issue, but it would be nice if I could turn off the eight digit timecode display when it has no function.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but I'd like the TC display to be switchable to twice the size. :)

I shoot a lot of time lapse and the TC display tells me how long I've been shooting, or even more clearly, how much longer I have to shoot before I can cut.

Sometimes those little numbers are very difficult to read. Bigger ones would help.

The timecode display can be adjustable to three times the size for all I care. I'd just like a way to send it packing when it isn't doing anything :)

robedge

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 9:48 pm

jsnbrsc wrote:No no...I'm referencing the 'Media' section on the Blackmagic Camera iOS app — nothing to do with Apple Photos.

The Media section does indeed have to do with Apple Photos.

Look at Settings > Media > Save Clips To. There are three options, one of which is "In app and Photo Library". Photo Library is the iPhone Photo app. It can be used for storage and, if desired, for editing. The other options are "in app only" and "files".

I would not be surprised if Blackmagic's storage options piggyback on Apple's own controls. Indeed, I kind of expect it. For example, I haven't tried deleting clips when the "Files" storage option has been selected. However, I assume that deletion, including deletion of multiple files, works the same as for other files, such as Pages or Numbers files. If the way that Apple's Photos app handles multiple files doesn't work, try the way iOS handles multiple files in a File.

That's why I said "Try it". Did you try it?

If Blackmagic has created a storage system that's disconnected from the way that iOS manages storage, at least of multiple files, then presumably it will be filling in any blanks in coming releases.

It would be interesting if you also tried the "in app plus Photo Library" option and tried deleting from the Photo Library. Does that also delete the files shown as being in the app? Hopefully not, but it would be useful to know.

jsnbrsc

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 7:01 am

Great shout @robedge — I didn't even find that in settings, thank you.

That works, however the ability to hold down a single file and somewhere tap to select-all would be ace. A function baked inside of the app itself and not a setting.

All good — likely to come in a future release.

kfriis

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 1:10 pm

Follow up on ProRES and h265 earlier results

I have analyzed some of the files (x1 lens, cinematic stabilizer), and skimmed the remaining files (ProRES 422 HQ, 25fps 1/50s etc). The behaviour is probably a characteristic of Cinema P3, as I cannot reproduce the behaviour in BMC.

Then general conclusion is, that almost all frames are constant 25 fps (0.040000 seconds). Constant in anyones book.

Sample contains 672 frames (26.88 seconds, if constant)

There are consistent odd values of “0.038333 seconds” (similar to “26,0892252 fps”) at the frames 59, 206, 350, 496 and 643 - a one frame deviation roughly each 150 frames or each 6 seconds or so.

The last frame 672 is contains the value “0.063333 seconds” similar to “15.7903048 fps”, but this frame seems to be “overshoot” garbage (not part of the actual “Nominal, minimum and maximum frame rate specs for the file).

The ProRES 422 file ends with a frame (706) value of “0.071667 seconds” similar to “13,9534235 fps”, and is not part of the nominal, minimum and maximum specifications for the file. Everything is absolutely constant at 0.040000 seconds per frame (25 fps) except the frames 74, 220, 367, 515, 659 - also a one frame deviation roughly each 6 seconds or so.

The h265 40MB file ends with a frame 704, that is absolutely constant (0.040000 seconds or 25fps), but the content is also marred by periodic odd “packet starts” (all frame sizes are marked “0.040000 seconds”, but packet start times become weird at packet 76 and 77, with sequences like (start and duration)
    2.200000 0.040000
    2.120000 0.040000
    2.080000 0.040000
    2.160000 0.040000
    2.358333 0.040000
    2.278333 0.040000
    2.240000 0.040000
    2.318333 0.040000
    2.518333 0.040000
    2.438333 0.040000
The odd timing “glitch” ror otherwise constant frame sizes In a later case, around frame 221, there’s again a “glitch” in timing, but frame content is constant still:
    7.878333 0.040000
    7.838333 0.040000
    7.918333 0.040000
    8.116667 0.040000
    8.038333 0.040000
    7.998333 0.040000
    8.076667 0.040000
    8.276667 0.040000
    8.196667 0.040000
    8.156667 0.040000
Again around 150 frames or 6 seconds apart. Give or take. Same effect around frame 366 (where duration is constant, but timestamp is positioned earlier than should be the case):
    13.796667 0.040000
    13.756667 0.040000
    13.836667 0.040000
    14.035000 0.040000
    13.955000 0.040000
    13.916667 0.040000
    13.995000 0.040000
    14.195000 0.040000
Note, that frames need not be ordered sequentially in the MOV file. Also around 150 frames and 6 seconds later (give our take).

The 20MB/sec h265 MOV file shows a similar behaviour to the 40MB/sec file. All frames are marked “0.040000” second duration, but frame starting time is adjusted earlier each 150 frames or 6 seconds or so.

Conclusion

There is a periodic glitch of an earlier frame starting time, with a correct frame size (h265 above examples) alternatively periodically shorter duration frames (ProRES). In the latter case, the actual frame content may still be a “full 0.040000 second” frame, that is seemingly placed earlier than possible on the timeline, if previous frame was constant.

It’s probably just codec specific differences on the same periodic glitch. Whether a frame is seen as having a shorter duration (may not be the actual case) due to the following frame (with expected duration) starting earlier or a sequence of frames is marked as starting earlier may not be significant. Just a manifestation of a similar “glitch”.

Suspicion (no proof)

I get the feeling - not proof - that all frames are in fact constant 0.040000 second frames (except any trailing “possible garbage” frame, that is not part of file statistics), but roughly each six seconds a “glitch” forces the use of a timestamp, that is ”stamped" earlier, than should be the case, if all frames have the same duration (0.040000 seconds).

I see this as Cinema P3 specific (here ProRES 422HQ):

compared to Blackmagic Camera App (ProRES 422HQ):

Minimum billedfrekvens : 24,979 FPS
Maksimum billedfrekvens : 25,010 FPS

Earlier today, that shows slight variations from nominal frame rate (25 fps) on the same iPhone with similar settings.

Either way, it’s hardly ideal.

Heads-up:

It seems, that there is a POTENTIAL from iOS 17.2 to get CONSTANT frame rates on the x0.5 and x1 lenses, that - at least in my samples - are mired in the similar periodic glitch, affecting timestamps, but not necessarily actual frame content.

The why or how, someone else will have to look into.

Regards

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 2:15 pm

Did you make Tom aware of this?

kfriis

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 2:16 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Did you make Tom aware of this?

I have sent a heads-up to him!

Regards

kfriis

PostThu Dec 14, 2023 3:34 pm

Just to add a follow up on ProRES 422HQ today (x1 lens):

UTC (local time is CET or UTC+1):

Formatprofil : 422 HQ
    Codec-ID : apch
    Varighed : 31sek. 88 ms
    Source duration : 31sek. 152 ms
    Bitratemodus : Variabel
    Bitrate : 718 Mb/s
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Skantype : Progressiv
    Bits/(Billedpunkter*Billed) : 3.465
    Strømstørrelse : 2,60 GiB (100%)
    Source stream size : 2,61 GiB (100%)
    Skrivende bibliotek : Apple
    Kodet den : 2023-12-14 09:15:01 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-14 09:15:32 UTC

Formatprofil : 422 HQ
    Codec-ID : apch
    Varighed : 26sek. 598 ms
    Source duration : 26sek. 672 ms
    Bitratemodus : Variabel
    Bitrate : 610 Mb/s
    Minimum billedfrekvens : 24,000 FPS
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Skantype : Progressiv
    Bits/(Billedpunkter*Billed) : 2.941
    Strømstørrelse : 1,89 GiB (99%)
    Source stream size : 1,89 GiB (100%)
    Skrivende bibliotek : Apple
    Kodet den : 2023-12-14 15:19:14 UTC
    Tagged den : 2023-12-14 15:19:41 UTC

Doesn't seem to have been a one of fluke (always good to test).

Regards
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography