Blackmagic Camera App - Feature Requests

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ANONIMNIQ

Blackmagic Camera App - Feature Requests

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 8:04 pm

First version of the app is great, however I'll love to see options like DV HDR recording, log and if possible iPhone's cinematic mode implementation and gimbal support.

ericjhaase

Re: Blackmagic Camera App features request

PostSun Sep 17, 2023 11:56 pm

Is there a way to lock shutter speed but have Iso remain in Auto? That would be very useful. And kind of essential for most of the type of stuff typically shot on a phone that wants to look a little better.

Also, log modes would be nice.

rick.lang

Blackmagic Camera App features request

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 12:43 am

You can set the shutter angle to 180 degrees for example. Then you will see a lock icon; touch the lock icon which will display a coloured background to show it is locked. When you return to see the frame you are shooting, you’ll see a tiny blue lock symbol beside the settings you have locked.
Rick Lang

Steve Golding

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 1:31 am

The problem there Rick is that the phone will override those settings, and still tell you that the locks are on when they are not!

Steve.

Stigcrafter

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 5:09 am

A little thing I'd love is for to highlight which iso is the native one on that phone/camera, for people insane enough to want to expose using just NDs or controlled lighting.
it dye
https://www.youtube.com/@stigcrafter/

Steve Golding

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 5:58 am

On that thought, when you lock a setting could we have the indicator a different colour ie not the same blue as Auto please?

Steve.

BoxMan_Actual

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 1:54 pm

I'd love to see the ability to use the front-facing camera! I've searched the app but not found the option. Maybe it's hidden? Anyone find that option?

Thecreator82

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 2:26 pm

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max I love the Blackmagic Camera app but there are some bugs:
- I noticed that the audio levels of the iPhone Mic can not be changed
- and that the ratios 1.39:1 - 1.40:1 etc... do not change when recording files that always remain at 16:9.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 3:23 pm

BoxMan_Actual wrote:I'd love to see the ability to use the front-facing camera! I've searched the app but not found the option. Maybe it's hidden? Anyone find that option?
There is an option when you tap on the current lens to select another lens and that includes Front so you’re good to go.
Rick Lang

ANONIMNIQ

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 3:27 pm

Thecreator82 wrote:I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max I love the Blackmagic Camera app but there are some bugs:
- I noticed that the audio levels of the iPhone Mic can not be changed
- and that the ratios 1.39:1 - 1.40:1 etc... do not change when recording files that always remain at 16:9.

I think these are only framing markers, not actual ratio for the clip. You can crop it in Resolve in post.

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 3:49 pm

Thecreator82 wrote:… I noticed that the audio levels of the iPhone Mic can not be changed

I believe the option is not enabled as it is greyed out but set on Maximum Gain which likely will be too hot. At some future update, I hope the audio levels are controlled by the operator.

ratios 1.39:1 - 1.40:1 etc... do not change when recording files that always remain at 16:9.

Yes, the ratios are only for the frame guides so you can check your composition. At some future update, hopefully that also determines the recording resolution.

It’s a start and always possible Apple controls the agenda and not BMD.
Rick Lang

likwidboy

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 3:52 pm

Full remote operation of the app from another iOS device. I see a number of practical applications for this. Firstly, If the app is being used on a tripod for a live press conference or interview, changing settings will directly nudge the phone creating shake and wobble. It may also be the case that the operator cannot stand to make such changes as it blocks the view of other camera operators at the event.
Another application would be YouTubers, VLoggers or Actors recording self tapes. The ability to frame the shot and adjust settings from a second iOS device would be extremely useful as a solo shooter who is also the subject of the video.
Finally, the advantage of phones is that the can reach places other cameras cant. But that may mean the screen is inaccessible.
There is another inferior iOS app called "Movie Pro" which has a remote operation feature via a companion app (MPRemote) where another iOS device effectively becomes a wireless monitor with full control. It's pretty laggy, but I imagine working in partnership with apple you could create a very low latency equivalent.

Steve Holmlund

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 10:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:
BoxMan_Actual wrote:I'd love to see the ability to use the front-facing camera! I've searched the app but not found the option. Maybe it's hidden? Anyone find that option?
There is an option when you tap on the current lens to select another lens and that includes Front so you’re good to go.

Hi Rick,
I have a 13 mini and can't for the life of me find that option. Maybe it's a feature specific to select phones?

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 18, 2023 11:15 pm

Another option might be in Settings / Camera if you set Mirror Front-Facing Camera to On. Let me know if that works.
Rick Lang

Steve Golding

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 2:03 am

Interesting, I can get the front Camera working, but the Mirror option makes no difference whether it is selected or not. iPhone 11 Pro Max IOS 16.6.1.

Steve.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 3:27 am

Steve, it would appear that the different models may behave inconsistently. I’ll ask the other iPhone 11 users if their version BMCAMAP can use the front camera.
Rick Lang

SeldomSeenKid

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 7:25 am

An option to overlay the screen guides to the HDMI clean feed would be great. I don't trust the guides on my cheap field monitor.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

ni-sc_

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 8:27 am

likwidboy wrote:Full remote operation of the app from another iOS device. I see a number of practical applications for this.

+1

Good idea, that's something I would love to have and use. I will be using the iPhone as an overhead camera and could use my iPad as a controller + monitor.

Steve Alexander

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 4:00 pm

+1 for the ability to change the microphone gain. That's a bit of a miss and hopefully can be corrected.

Also - focus assist doesn't work during recording on my iPhone 12 Pro Max - whereas it does in Filmic Pro so it's not a performance issue, I wouldn't think.

Thoughts?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 4:17 pm

Agree about control of audio gain as the default setting is too sensitive. On iPhone 14 Pro, I also lost focus assist coloured lines when recording begins. And having all recording in 16:9 regardless of settings seems strange, especially for those who want 9:16 or 1:1 for social media.

This is a rather brave assignment for BMD who will be at the mercy, the mystery, the idiosyncrasies and proclivities of Apple, a competitor.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 4:39 pm

likwidboy wrote:Full remote operation of the app from another iOS device. I see a number of practical applications for this. Firstly, If the app is being used on a tripod for a live press conference or interview, changing settings will directly nudge the phone creating shake and wobble. It may also be the case that the operator cannot stand to make such changes as it blocks the view of other camera operators at the event.
Another application would be YouTubers, VLoggers or Actors recording self tapes. The ability to frame the shot and adjust settings from a second iOS device would be extremely useful as a solo shooter who is also the subject of the video.
Finally, the advantage of phones is that the can reach places other cameras cant. But that may mean the screen is inaccessible.
There is another inferior iOS app called "Movie Pro" which has a remote operation feature via a companion app (MPRemote) where another iOS device effectively becomes a wireless monitor with full control. It's pretty laggy, but I imagine working in partnership with apple you could create a very low latency equivalent.

like filmic remote, i bought immediately when they go out with this feature, it's very useful also when you put phone where you cannot reach or is not confortable to change settings.

danielmorales2007

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 6:52 pm

My Blackmagic Cam App doesn't have the ProRes cocec.. is it because I have just the iPhone12?

Steve Alexander

PostTue Sep 19, 2023 11:09 pm

danielmorales2007 wrote:My Blackmagic Cam App doesn't have the ProRes cocec.. is it because I have just the iPhone12?

Yes
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

oliwend

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 12:14 pm

ericjhaase wrote:Is there a way to lock shutter speed but have Iso remain in Auto? That would be very useful. And kind of essential for most of the type of stuff typically shot on a phone that wants to look a little better.

Yes, fixed shutter speed an variable ISO is needed!
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm

oliwend wrote:
ericjhaase wrote:Is there a way to lock shutter speed but have Iso remain in Auto? That would be very useful. And kind of essential for most of the type of stuff typically shot on a phone that wants to look a little better.

This exists already
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

oliwend

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 12:50 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
oliwend wrote:

This exists already

Sorry, I meant Auto ISO
Last edited by oliwend on Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

ANONIMNIQ

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 12:55 pm

Guys, how you control exposure? Outdoors without filter I need highest shutter speed 1/8000 and I don't see any difference if i change ISO and still not sure if picture is correctly exposed in a sunny day. Indoors with 1/48 shutter and low ISO i think picture is exposed ok.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 12:59 pm

ANONIMNIQ wrote:Guys, how you control exposure? Outdoors without filter I need highest shutter speed 1/8000 and I don't see any difference if i change ISO and still not sure if picture is correctly exposed in a sunny day. Indoors with 1/48 shutter and low ISO i think picture is exposed ok.

You’re likely in this situation to need a ND filter.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Steve Holmlund

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:18 pm

ANONIMNIQ wrote:Guys, how you control exposure? Outdoors without filter I need highest shutter speed 1/8000 and I don't see any difference if i change ISO and still not sure if picture is correctly exposed in a sunny day. Indoors with 1/48 shutter and low ISO i think picture is exposed ok.

Yes, looks like it's impossible to shoot 24 fps / 180 shutter angle outdoors on my 13 mini. Anything in the sun is blown out (my ISO stops at 34).

I hadn't investigated before but I see now (I think) that the Apple cameras have a fixed iris (my main cam is at f1.6) and that any aperture adjustments are made digitally (e.g. in Portrait mode in the Apple Camera app).

Is that correct?
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

oliwend

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:19 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:

Yes, looks like it's impossible to shoot 24 fps / 180 shutter angle outdoors on my 13 mini. Anything in the sun is blown out (my ISO stops at 34).

I hadn't investigated before but I see now (I think) that the Apple cameras have a fixed iris (my main cam is at f1.6) and that any aperture adjustments are made digitally (e.g. in Portrait mode in the Apple Camera app).

Is that correct?
Steve

correct! I just got a cheapo clip-on ND filter to try and it works fairly good.

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:32 pm

I locked my shutter at 1/8000 and set ISO to 3220 and that’s what I get when I record. Using iPhone 14 Pro. Tested HEVC and ProRes 4444. However my recordings are supposed to be 4K but the resolution of my original file says it’s 2160x1214, not 4K 3840x2160. Why?

Going to have to thoroughly go through various options to try to determine what’s happening with these odd decisions based on my settings.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:40 pm

By the way, just eyeballing the Timelapse clips, it appears to be one frame every second. Without a way to vary the Timelapse rate, it’s not very useful for trying to grab a still photo, so very short clips at 24 fps and a high shutter speed might be the way to go to extract a motionless ‘still’ photo. There’s always a little delay starting the recording which means you can miss the ideal instant you wanted to capture.

However the Apple Camera may be a more practical choice although it has its own issues due to the time delay in capturing a still snap.
Rick Lang

oliwend

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:45 pm

rick.lang wrote:However my recordings are supposed to be 4K but the resolution of my original file says it’s 2160x1214, not 4K 3840x2160.

Are you holding your iPhone upright when shooting (landscape) video?

see here: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=188700

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 3:49 pm

D’oh! Yes it’s fine if I remember to hold the camera horizontally! Thanks.

ProRes 4444 looks gorgeous BTW.
Rick Lang

Marshall Harrington

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 6:49 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:
rick.lang wrote:

Hi Rick,
I have a 13 mini and can't for the life of me find that option. Maybe it's a feature specific to select phones?

Steve
Steve,

I have a 13 pro. Below the Talley light for record and histogram and sound bars on the left side I can shoose what lens I'm using. There's also a provision for "Front". Hope this helps.

Steve Holmlund

PostWed Sep 20, 2023 8:48 pm

Marshall,
That does help! I figured out the UI to change the cameras. Thanks!
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Ken.Rennie

Blackmagic Camera App features that exist already

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 12:14 am

I can report that an iPad Air M1 (March 2022 release) can record in ProRes, and also to external SSD.

Blackmagic Cam record to EXT SSD.jpeg
Blackmagic Cam record to EXT SSD.jpeg (554.2 KiB) Viewed 55632 times

Blackmagic Cam record ProRes.jpeg
Blackmagic Cam record ProRes.jpeg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 55632 times

Steve Alexander wrote:
danielmorales2007 wrote:My Blackmagic Cam App doesn't have the ProRes cocec.. is it because I have just the iPhone12?

Yes
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

Ken.Rennie

Blackmagic Camera App features that exist already : P3 D65 c

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 3:41 pm

Too, my guess is that most any modern Apple sensor is capable of a wider color gamut than sRGB.

I’m sure that none can *fill* the Blackmagic Camera app’s selectable P3 D65 color space, but I’m fascinated to see whether this provides at least *some* benefit.

Blackmagic Cam record settings.jpeg
Blackmagic Cam record settings.jpeg (181.51 KiB) Viewed 55468 times
- -
Because I have been asked this scores of times, this link explains how to access all the Resolve pages on iPads:
https://www.provideocoalition.com/unlock-all-the-resolve-for-ipad-pages/

Comments by BM’s Peter Chamberlain, included.

innatemusic

PostFri Sep 22, 2023 10:52 pm

So, I'm loving this app already. I've been using FilMic Pro pretty much since they started or a bit thereafter and have always been a fan. But I have been requesting support for Tentacle Sync Timecode devices via Bluetooth for years but it hasn't happened thus far.

I understand they have other things they'd like to implement first but for me, the clapping method is just not hot. Resolve does a pretty good job with waveform syncing but if you don't have "phone" audio, start applauding.

Not to mention, Tentacle has been trying to get FilMic to work with them, as well. So, my obvious request is Tentacle Sync support. I saw someone mention gimbal support. That would be awesome, as well. I use the Zhiyun Crane 3s. I know...big gimbal for a phone.

One more thing. What would be a great assist in focusing is the ability to have a 2x's and/or 4x's zoom so that you can make sure the focus is correct. This is obviously in conjunction with the focus assist it already has.

Anyway, I hope this doesn't come off as me bashing FilMic. They have been great for me, outside of those things I've mentioned. Off to a fantastic start, BMD!
Last edited by innatemusic on Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charliesaigon

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 12:00 am

I would love to see the ability to separate the exposure and focus into two monocles. Often I want the exposure monocle near the sky, but the focus monocle on my subject matter.

Other feature requests...
Apple Watch app to preview framing and start/stop recording
Ability to monitor via second device (another iPhone or iPad) and start/stop recording
Have file transfers up to Blackmagic Cloud while app is in the background/not active
Support for third party lenses

Much appreciate what we have already!

Please and thank you...

Frank Engel

PostSat Sep 23, 2023 10:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:Steve, it would appear that the different models may behave inconsistently. I’ll ask the other iPhone 11 users if their version BMCAMAP can use the front camera.

Mine can. It is an 11.

Mike Los

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 3:50 am

Am I missing it or is it possible to resize screen because on my iPhone 15 pro dynamic island is in frame. Filmic pro which I want to do away with has a smaller viewing area to avoid this.

oliwend

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 8:29 am

charliesaigon wrote:Apple Watch app to preview framing and start/stop recording

+1

Start/stop with Apple Watch would be great!

BoxMan_Actual

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 2:12 pm

ASSIGNING CAMERA NAMES IN BLACKMAGIC NAMING CONVENTION

I love this app and it's potential, but after running a couple tests, I'm seeing that there's issues with the available naming convention. When running 2 phones, logged into two different cloud accounts, and uploading the footage to Resolve there are 2 big issues:

- both sets of footage are labeled as Camera A in the metadata.
- all the filenames are too similar. the only easy way to tell them apart is to put one phone on the blackmagic naming convention and the other on the iPhone default convention.

We should be able to assign a camera letter in the options, and that letter should be used in the naming convention string. Thanks.
Attachments
!BMCam Naming 2.png
!BMCam Naming 2.png (82.28 KiB) Viewed 54980 times
!BMCam Naming.png
!BMCam Naming.png (111.15 KiB) Viewed 54980 times

John Brawley

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 2:49 pm

BoxMan_Actual wrote:
We should be able to assign a camera letter in the options, and that letter should be used in the naming convention string. Thanks.

It works the same way it does on the other BMD cameras.

Go to the slate icon, swipe to the second page. You can re-name the camera letter there.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Brendan Clark

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 5:52 pm

There’s an app called “REC” that integrates Tentacle Sync via Bluetooth. That would be handy. In the meantime I jam sync with a cable and a “sync-E”. Bluetooth would be great for syncing multiple iPhones.

Kevin.Naben

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 6:40 pm

Is it true that if you want to save videos to iCloud Pictures you have to save them in the app memory as well? So they take up double the space on the iPhone?? Or can I set it to save ONLY to iCloud?

And what about those four audio channels? Is it possible to record a stereo track of the internal mic plus two tracks of an external audio source like rode wireless go at the same time?

BoxMan_Actual

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 8:39 pm

John Brawley wrote:
BoxMan_Actual wrote:

It works the same way it does on the other BMD cameras.

Go to the slate icon, swipe to the second page. You can re-name the camera letter there.

JB
Amazing! Thank you very much! I’m new to BlackMagic cams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Los

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 8:48 pm

Thankyou Blackmagic for existing. Love the app. Just some feelings to consider.

Focus Peaking. Filmics is amazing good. Can we get a better implementation?

recognize attached external ssd

image resize to avoid dynamic island intrusion into image.

a lock all settings tab

Rui Branquinho

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 9:27 pm

Did some tests today and got inconsistent results on Frame Rate Mode, analyzing the clips with Media Info.
Without changing anything else, some shots resulted Constant and others Variable.
Of course, we would love to have a constantly Constant outcome on every recorded clip.
Any ideas on why?
Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K | Eizo CG2700X
macOS Sonoma | iMac 2020 | Intel i9 | Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB | 64GB RAM
Next

Return to Cinematography