New BMCC6k Shooting Resolutions 16:9 request.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andreas Kaufmann1

New BMCC6k Shooting Resolutions 16:9 request.

PostSun Sep 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Hi there,
its been a while since I posted in this forum. But I am really happy about the new camera that was announced and already ordered it last week.
However, it would be so great to have a 6k 16:9 and a Super 35 16:9 aspect ratio shooting resolution.
I do get that this is a cinema camera, but I want to use this camera for my clients, which often require the 16:9 aspect ratio as it is the standard anyways. They take the footage with them and want to edit it fast. Sure, they could crop in from the 17:9 DCI aspect ratios with high resolutions, but thats an extra step in post, which many of them wouldnt like at all.
Is there a chance to get some new recording options which feature the 16:9 aspect in higher resolutions?
In my opinion that should be a nobrainer as this aspect is still the horizontal standard to this date and how most of the TV's are made for.
With cropping a bit into the sensor it should improve the readout speed and there even might be a chance to get some extra fps without the problem of overheating.
Or is it just me which loves/requires to have the option for 16:9? Please tell me ;)

Thank you anyway blackmagic for putting out another amazing camera!

rick.lang

Re: New BMCC6k Shooting Resolutions 16:9 request.

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 4:51 pm

Second this motion! The 16:9 ratio is more friendly for those shooting with 1.33x anamorphic lenses or the SLR Magic 1.33x-65 Anamorphot to deliver widescreen.
Rick Lang

Alex Mitchell

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 5:03 pm

Clearly BMD needs to release the Blackmagic Pocket Videography Camera 6K.

John Brawley

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 5:40 pm

Andreas Kaufmann1 wrote:Hi there,
its been a while since I posted in this forum. But I am really happy about the new camera that was announced and already ordered it last week.
However, it would be so great to have a 6k 16:9 and a Super 35 16:9 aspect ratio shooting resolution.

You know it has both 6K and 4K DCI options? That's 17:9 which is very close to 16:9 and is also the standard for a lot of people shooting to deliver 16:9.

When you deliver for 16:9 that means the sides don't change and you loose a teeny amount at the top and bottom. It's usually considered good for slight re-framing or stabilising.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Andreas Kaufmann1

PostMon Sep 25, 2023 8:05 pm

Thanks for the answers!
@ John Brawley: First of all I really admire and respect your work! Really outstanding images since the BMCC 2,5k. Great stuff.
Yes, I know. I already wrote that in my first comment if you read closely:
"I do get that this is a cinema camera, but I want to use this camera for my clients, which often require the 16:9 aspect ratio as it is the standard anyways. They take the footage with them and want to edit it fast. Sure, they could crop in from the 17:9 DCI aspect ratios with high resolutions, but thats an extra step in post, which many of them wouldnt like at all."

For myself the 17:9 is totally fine and has the benefits you already mentioned. Some clients of mine though (the ones who dont care for technical stuff), don't like to or dont have the time to reframe and scale up the image. So for this scenario the 16:9 would come in really handy. Hope that clears that up.

Tony Spiraletti

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 2:52 am

Andreas Kaufmann1 wrote:Thanks for the answers!
@ John Brawley: First of all I really admire and respect your work! Really outstanding images since the BMCC 2,5k. Great stuff.
Yes, I know. I already wrote that in my first comment if you read closely:
"I do get that this is a cinema camera, but I want to use this camera for my clients, which often require the 16:9 aspect ratio as it is the standard anyways. They take the footage with them and want to edit it fast. Sure, they could crop in from the 17:9 DCI aspect ratios with high resolutions, but thats an extra step in post, which many of them wouldnt like at all."

For myself the 17:9 is totally fine and has the benefits you already mentioned. Some clients of mine though (the ones who dont care for technical stuff), don't like to or dont have the time to reframe and scale up the image. So for this scenario the 16:9 would come in really handy. Hope that clears that up.

100% agree.

I guess BMD think that people who buy the 6KFF only shoot for themselves? I too would like to be able to hand clients 16x9 10bit footage (like I did with the Pocket6K pro) but neither of these is possible on this camera for some strange reason. Sure you can convert BRAW to 10bit and 17:9 to 16:9 but when you need to work within other peoples workflows post conversion isn’t an option.

Sure, these are ‘Cinema Cameras’ :lol: but let’s face it, in this day and age people shooting for cinema release is less than ever and really shouldn’t be used as an excuse for some pretty basic omissions.

Andreas Kaufmann1

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 7:03 pm

Blackmagic has always surprised with new firmwares. So lets hope there will be some 16:9 aspect ratios coming soon.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 7:20 pm

I suspect that BMD may have anticipated a calm mild manageable response to the introduction of the BMCAMAP similar to what their other Apps generated, nice but nothing special. Well, the response to the BMCAMAP has been over the moon with some folks who live and breathe BMD feeling it’s the best of the recent announcements.

That’s good news for us and for BMD as that app, with some promotion, is possibly going to become the number one app in the App Store for its category. Many people with prior knowledge of BMD cameras will take notice due to its huge increase in functionality and ease of use compared to Photos and most other third-party camera apps. It does seem to have a few areas to address, but the enthusiastic response should translate into new BMCAMAP releases sooner than later.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 7:30 pm

Andreas Kaufmann1 wrote:Blackmagic has always surprised with new firmwares. So lets hope there will be some 16:9 aspect ratios coming soon.

I think it’s a bit of an issue of UI.

Right now the page is full with 8 recording options. You’d need a second page once you start adding 16:9 options. And they have to be coded too. You don’t just add the option on a menu. It’s extra code in the camera as well

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 26, 2023 7:32 pm

Or utilize the space where one would normally select between BRAW and ProRes?
Rick Lang

Tony Spiraletti

PostWed Sep 27, 2023 11:16 am

John Brawley wrote:
Andreas Kaufmann1 wrote:Blackmagic has always surprised with new firmwares. So lets hope there will be some 16:9 aspect ratios coming soon.

I think it’s a bit of an issue of UI.

Right now the page is full with 8 recording options. You’d need a second page once you start adding 16:9 options. And they have to be coded too. You don’t just add the option on a menu. It’s extra code in the camera as well

JB

Please tell me that BMD didn’t leave out any 10bit option because they couldn’t find space for them in the menu.

blackvoid

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 12:17 pm

+1 for this request.
Since the only HDMI output can only produced 1080p at the moment (Even the Micro G2 can go higher) and there is no 16:9 ratio for the full sensor width, this makes it very complicated to live stream - the output has to be cropped/stretched even from 17:9 which means lowering the resolution (effectively a digital zoom) even if the sensor is 6k - pretty ridiculous, please Blackmagic add a native full width 16:9 output to the system.

Adam Langdon

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 2:07 am

I will say, I’ve been filming cyc videos this week and the native 3:2 ratio of the 6kFF has been something the client really liked and that’s what we’re framing for with the B and C cams.
It is fun to utilize all these different formats when framing up a shot, as sometimes inspiration can lean into the tech.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

blackvoid

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 2:15 am

Adam Langdon wrote:I will say, I’ve been filming cyc videos this week and the native 3:2 ratio of the 6kFF has been something the client really liked and that’s what we’re framing for with the B and C cams.
It is fun to utilize all these different formats when framing up a shot, as sometimes inspiration can lean into the tech.

Thats amazing - yes, as a run and gun camera, recording everything to full frame, open gate, is fantastic, hands down!

The problem starts only when you decide that you want to stream OR record everything externally through the HDMI output.
As of is now the HDMI only allows 1080p60 output.
With the exception of two super cropped (=zoomed in) output formats, every single ratio has a black bar on the top or the sides (or both).

Sure, yes, this can be corrected, but during correction, we have to zoom in to the middle of the image - digitally, on a 1080p canvas. Which will result in a less sharp, more pixelated, blurry image.

Yes, the BMCC6K Full Frame is an amazing run&gun cinema camera for the price/value as it is now.

it just cannot be used for streaming as of it is right now, because it doesn't supports 16:9 output at full width. Sure, you can use a 1:1 scan for HD but it's like looking into a tube in the middle of the sensor, cropping off 90% of the image. Or you have to digitally get rid of the black bars. It can do 17:9, which is close enough, but you still get black bars on top & bottom. It wouldn't take much, I'd imagine, to add 16:9 full width as well.

Every other BMD camera can do 16:9 output on HDMI (and also on SDI where its available), even the micro studio G2. I'm surprised their latest, and first full frame, most advanced sensor camera cannot do such a basic task, to support one of the most widespread format in real time.

If you are making offline movies, then its not a concern though, for that purpose its great as it is now.

Jerome Heiderscheidt

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 10:08 pm

+1 for this request. Much needed feature

Return to Cinematography