Manfrotto MVR901 EPLA

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Long John

Manfrotto MVR901 EPLA

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Hi all,

I bought the recommended/approved Manfrotto MVR901 EPLA LANC to use with our BMCC. It starts/stops OK and focus is working after a fashion, even if not speed controlled. So better than nothing.

I've seen post saying that users are managing to change iris with this. Manfrotto claim you can; I haven't managed it yet - but am trying not to let it annoy me!

I'm prepared to admit I may be missing something obvious, but having looked on various forums I'm not sure what. Anyone had any success with this and like to share their secret? I've tried this on several Canon and Sigma lenses but it's not playing ball.

Cheers.

David

Re: Manfrotto MVR901 EPLA

PostThu Feb 13, 2014 6:51 pm

I bought one and sent it back. No iris, wayyyyy too slow in focus and with a couple of lenses I couldn't even it get it to stop. It may be a lens specific issue. I was also using 3 or 4 canon lenses and a sigma.

I think not enough people are using it to get a clear enough picture of what lenses it seems to work with.

Blackmagic has said from day 1 that it works fine. But it was not my experience.

I'd still like a lanc, though. So if anyones had a good experience with this one I'd love to hear what their using.
David Daniel
Dilettante

Long John

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks David,

Hey-ho. Well we'll keep ours as it will work on other kit we have and is nicely made.

FYI: I dug out a cheap/cheerful Manfrotto LANC that's designed to go on a monopod I think. Number on the side is 585LNC - I assume that's the part number! This is a bit of a weird looking device but is dirt cheap, works fine - it gives you a jerk-free stop start switch for pocket money.

John

raadgie

PostFri Feb 14, 2014 3:19 pm

How much slow is focus?

Can you make a movie for an imagination?
Karl von Bahnhof
CEO
Chicken shots production

Clayton Von Isaacs

PostMon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 am

Long John wrote:Thanks David,

Hey-ho. Well we'll keep ours as it will work on other kit we have and is nicely made.

FYI: I dug out a cheap/cheerful Manfrotto LANC that's designed to go on a monopod I think. Number on the side is 585LNC - I assume that's the part number! This is a bit of a weird looking device but is dirt cheap, works fine - it gives you a jerk-free stop start switch for pocket money.

John

I only need it for start and stop. How reliable has it been for you Long John.
Clayton Von Isaacs
daydreamersproductions.com

Return to Cinematography