Buying the 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Matthew Silver

Buying the 4K

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 pm

Hey all,

I own the BMCC EF and the BMPCC. I ordered the BMPC 4K from Adorama when it was announced and I believe they are charging my card and shipping it to me today. Now, money wasn't tight when I ordered it but it is now. Should I buy it? Is it worth spending the money?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

Matthew

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Buying the 4K

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 pm

Only you can decide if the BMPC-4K's many features are important or a good value for you.

My reasons for buying a BMPC-4K are detailed here:
http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/ ... ng-summer/

As always, there's no 1 perfect camera ideally suited to every shooter's style/preferences, production, budget, and schedule. Cheers.

Rado Stefanov

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

g14matthew wrote:Hey all,

I own the BMCC EF and the BMPCC. I ordered the BMPC 4K from Adorama when it was announced and I believe they are charging my card and shipping it to me today. Now, money wasn't tight when I ordered it but it is now. Should I buy it? Is it worth spending the money?

Matthew

Matthew if you want you can surrender your place to me... :D
Rado Stefanov

Scott Pultz

PostSat Feb 15, 2014 11:32 pm

g14matthew wrote:Hey all,

Matthew

Adorama wrote to me today and said that as of yesterday they hadn't received any allocation yet. Hmm

I'll take your place :) I ordered it same day as well but so far nothing.

Matthew Silver

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 3:47 am

Yeah, I understand that. Only I can prevent forest fires too. I guess I'm more wondering if it's a sound investment based on the fact that I already own two of the three Blackmagic lineup. As much I would like to go for the hat trick, I don't know if the 4K adds anything save for the S35 and global shutter. And the extra 1.5K, obviously.

Blackmagic talks about it being a production camera, but in what environment? Before we moved to Blackmagic, we were shooting on Panasonics - everything back from their AJ-D95's to the HDX300's to the AF-100. Which is why all of the people here talking about recording sound separately and syncing in post baffles me a bit, because I'm used to recording sound into camera, sometimes through a mixer, most of the time not. My sound From Panny's cameras has always been clean and never really needed any post work. Obviously with the BMCC you can't just hook into an audio source and get clean audio and I'll concede that you can use the excuse that it's a cinema camera designed for images and not audio (arguments about BM marketing notwithstanding), but in looking at the BMPC - if it's designed and marketed for a production environment, I'd assume that means that I can use it at event shoots and the like without having to worry about audio or image any more than I would have had to with my Panasonics.

Will the BMPC really be a camera that rounds out the camera and works as a full production camera, suitable for small crew shoots and gigs, or is it just the addition of the S35 sensor, the global shutter, and the extra resolution that sets it apart from the other BM cameras?

Matthew

Matthew Silver

PostSun Feb 16, 2014 3:49 am

I've put in an email to Adorama and I'm waiting to hear back about it. They're charging me, so I was assuming that meant they were delivering too. I may have been mistaken. As I hear back solid answers, I'll let you all know. If I decide not to buy it, then I'll happily give up my spot to someone here, although we'll have to figure out how that works.

Matthew

Return to Cinematography