The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Margus Voll

Re: Grading Monitor Survey

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 8:09 am

FSI, Penta, Sony.

Take your pick.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

jasonxinzhou

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 6:20 am

FSI

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 6:50 am

I'm using an FSI CM171 here at home. Had a Sony PVM1741 here before that and my friend has a PVM2541 at his work i use when doing stuff there. I actually prefer grading on the FSI LCD than the Sony OLED, just preference. Blacks on OLED are TOO black for me, so i was overcompensating and need seeing shadow detail like i wanted to, plus it looks quite different when you go elsewhere not on OLED. Would love to try the FSI OLEDs to see if maybe it's just Sony OLED i don't respond well to while grading, or OLED in general. Sony tends to be a bit green when they calibrate them, FSI looks a little magenta from factory calibration in comparison. Overall i much prefer the FSI. A bigger monitor would be better for judging noise etc but i often use my NEC PA271W-SV GUI monitor for that which works fine.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 am

I count 3 (maybe you have someone ignored as straight after you posted "anyone?"), but yes i don't think i've ever read a bad comment about them. :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 am

Bram from FSI answered this for their panels at Lift Gamma Gain:

Zunzheng is our Shenzhen, China based manufacturing partner and has been working in close partnership with FSI since 2008. You cannot purchase directly from Zunzheng in the Americas, Europe, India, and most other territories outside of mainland China, just like you cannot purchase from FSI directly in mainland China. We split our sales/service responsibilities up like this to better serve our customers. For multi-national corporations with offices extending across these territories exceptions could be made if needed, though this has not really been an issue yet, for the sake of product consistency because there are some very important differences when getting the product from Zunzheng vs. FSI, including but not limited to:

1. Different firmware with some features that will not work in the same way.
2. Different models (a limited number of products may be made only to address a particular market)
3. Completely different reference instruments are used for calibration.
4. and of course support. Your support comes from Zunzheng when purchasing from them and from FSI when purchasing from us.

We set a global list price with Zunzheng so the price is essentially the same in all territories.

Zunzheng is on the front of the monitors and back, along with "Flanders Scientific". They don't try to hide it. :)

Christian Horne

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 7:27 am

My friend at Core Post in Manchester England uses a 24" Sony and the majority of his work is online editing for a lot of BBC programs. I suppose there shouldn't be much difference in colour performance in between any of the mentioned sets above as this would defeat the main purpose of broadcast monitoring. If you are specifically looking for a monitor for grading then a 10bit monitor and graphics card would be the way to go and making sure you keep the required colour space for your intended output solid in your post workflow?

brent k

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 am

+1 for Flanders connected to BMD decklink.

John Waldorff

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm

You can also go cheap and get a monitor with 99% color gamut and then make sure!! to have it calibrated with a hardware component. These can be rented also or cost around 200 USD

Return to Cinematography