Ok, 4k is out. Where's our BMCC update?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

MikeC

Ok, 4k is out. Where's our BMCC update?

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Awesome, the 4k is out and everyone playing with it. How are we looking for the BMCC update?

joechiazza

Re: Ok, 4k is out. Where's our BMCC update?

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Who knows man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fulgencio Martínez

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm

where is it??

joechiazza

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 5:23 pm

I bet you they release a new 4k update before they give us the 2.5k updates.

Jules Bushell

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 5:53 pm

The update has been so long in coming that I made up for the shortcomings a while back. Includes EVFs with waveforms + audio meters, CineformRAW workflow, remained at 1.2 firmware so I can record audio directly into camera etc.

When the update comes, it will make no difference to me. May even be worse as previously things that worked might be broken.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Christian Horne

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Same here, Compressed DNG is going to give me problems converting to CineForm RAW. Infact the most useful features for me would be guide lines overlays or rule of three grids, and 2.5k ProRes resolution and thats it!

sean mclennan

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 6:46 pm

NAB....they need to make a big announcement you know... :idea:

Eugene Carter

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 8:18 pm

I can assure you the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is not forgotten. There is some work involved in order to get the first camera we have ever made up to speed with what we have learnt working on the Pocket Cinema Camera and once that has happen, more cool stuff will happen.
- Kristian Lam

Can we at least get some kind of an update as to the status of our "...more cool stuff"?

MikeC

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Yeah, that's really it… just want the "more cool stuff." I actually love my BMCC, but if I can get a little extra functionality, that would be awesome!

I was on the waiting list for a 4k, but I decided not to get it. It's too close to NAB. I just know… know… they're gonna announce a high speed BMCC v2 or something!!! :lol:

Tim Callaghan

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostTue Feb 18, 2014 11:54 pm

MikeC wrote:Yeah, that's really it… just want the "more cool stuff." I actually love my BMCC, but if I can get a little extra functionality, that would be awesome!

I was on the waiting list for a 4k, but I decided not to get it. It's too close to NAB. I just know… know… they're gonna announce a high speed BMCC v2 or something!!! :lol:

Yeah and if they do announce it you might just get it delivered a month before NAB 2015. :lol:

shanepeters@bellsouth.net

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 am

ha....this company loves to dangle imaginary carrots in front of us.....whether it be a camera months past its promised delivery date or firmware....remember..."we are working on it".
Last edited by shanepeters@bellsouth.net on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fahnon Bennett

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 am

Christian Horne wrote:Same here, Compressed DNG is going to give me problems converting to CineForm RAW. Infact the most useful features for me would be guide lines overlays or rule of three grids, and 2.5k ProRes resolution and thats it!

They wouldn't give compressed raw and take away uncompressed would they? Would they???

metaljesus

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 am

Considering how long the product has been out and the fact they've released several new models since the original BMCC it definitely seems like they never intend to finish it. It really sucks but this just seems to be the kind of company Blackmagic is, they talk big and over commit themselves and then deliver 90%.

Apparently black suns, unusable audio, and no remaining record time are fine on a video camera from Blackmagic.

My guess is at NAB we’ll see two new cameras announced and history will repeat. They’ll over promise / commit on those, struggle to hit their own delivery dates and that will put their focus entirely on new products instead of fixing old ones.

I’d really love to be wrong.

They are the only game in town for this image quality at this price though so we stick with them.

Personally I think there’s very little goodwill left in the industry for them, at least on the camera side. Would be great if they could start building it back, but if there are new cameras announced before a major BMCC update I don't think that'll be happening.

Corrupt Frame, Inc.

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 am

metaljesus wrote:Considering how long the product has been out and the fact they've released several new models since the original BMCC it definitely seems like they never intend to finish it. It really sucks but this just seems to be the kind of company Blackmagic is, they talk big and over commit themselves and then deliver 90%.

Apparently black suns, unusable audio, and no remaining record time are fine on a video camera from Blackmagic.

My guess is at NAB we’ll see two new cameras announced and history will repeat. They’ll over promise / commit on those, struggle to hit their own delivery dates and that will put their focus entirely on new products instead of fixing old ones.

I’d really love to be wrong.

They are the only game in town for this image quality at this price though so we stick with them.

Personally I think there’s very little goodwill left in the industry for them, atleast on the camera side. Would be great if they could start building it back, but if there are new cameras announced before a major BMCC update I don't think that'll be happening.

I have plenty of good will left for them. Are they slightly ghetto? Sure they are. But is anyone else offering the same kind of image quality for the price? Hell no... Just be glad for the good things. If you want a better camera go drop 15 to 30+ times as much money on an Arri, Red, or a high end Sony or Canon...

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 am

In addition to being attracted by the relatively low price of BMD cameras, many customers also take BMD at their word concerning the company's representations as to the cameras' capabilities.

Right now, the following words appear on BMD's website product description pages. I think it's reasonable for many people to expect BMD to make good on the promises implied by these words:

==================

"… Blackmagic Cinema Camera is both affordable and a complete solution because it includes a built-in recorder and monitoring, so it’s perfect for displacing video-only cameras for work such as sporting events, weddings, music videos and more! …"

"… Blackmagic Cinema Camera uses only standard connections! You get jack mic/line audio inputs for recording the highest quality uncompressed audio …"

"… Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is everything you need to bring cinematic film look shooting to the most difficult and remote locations, perfect for documentaries, independent films, photo journalism, music festivals, ENG, protest marches and even war zones. …"

"… With integrated stereo microphones you can also capture great quality sound. …"

"… The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is a fantastic camera for personal use, especially when you want to achieve quality beyond the level of traditional video camcorders. Film a family wedding, a child’s first steps or a holiday travelogue. …"

"… it’s easy to add an ambient or directional mic to the top of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera for professional audio capture that’s embedded into the ProRes file. …"

"… With built in uncompressed audio recording you can record professional audio straight to the ProRes files and totally eliminate separate audio syncing during post production. …"

"… There are 1/4” jack mic/line inputs for recording the highest quality uncompressed audio …"

"… Professional Audio Recording: The Blackmagic Production Camera 4K includes analog audio connections using 1/4” jacks. By including analog audio connections you can use external directional and ambient microphones for effects and commentary to suit your audio requirements. All audio is written to the ProRes file, so is fully synchronized with your footage. …"

"… there are audio jack inputs for external audio. This means you can easily add ambient and directional microphones …"

==================

-

metaljesus

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 am

Corrupt Frame, Inc. wrote:
I have plenty of good will left for them. Are they slightly ghetto? Sure they are. But is anyone else offering the same kind of image quality for the price? Hell no... Just be glad for the good things. If you want a better camera go drop 15 to 30+ times as much money on an Arri, Red, or a high end Sony or Canon...

Didn't I say that? :)

We're in agreement. Unfinished cameras. No other options.

thomas bruegger

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm

metaljesus wrote:They are the only game in town for this image quality at this price though so we stick with them.

Personally I think there’s very little goodwill left in the industry for them, at least on the camera side. Would be great if they could start building it back, but if there are new cameras announced before a major BMCC update I don't think that'll be happening.

exactly how i feel! but they are the only one, we have to give them that. if they only would communicate....
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Return to Cinematography