iPhone Hardware Accessories

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter McLennan

Re: iPhone Hardware Accessories

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 11:45 pm

robedge wrote: Tilta should reopen for business in a few hours.

Baited breath, pal. Baited breath. :roll:

The Usher film is pretty impressive, to say the least.

The phrase "Shot on iPhone" should probably be revised to "Shot on iPhones".

It seems that someone has figured out how to avoid that dreaded hot spot when there are small bright lights in the shot.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 4:11 am

Second that this is impressive.
I was more impressed by the B&W parts, which had a good texture, even after YT compression, and no harsh outblown clipping. It was a bit distracting that the show in color had many white costumes blown out.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 4:49 am

Uli Plank wrote:It was a bit distracting that the show in color had many white costumes blown out.

Usher is the only person in that entire film who's wearing a white costume. He's the star of the show, and they weren't about to dress people so that they're sartorial competition :) What did you do, slow down the film to 0.25 and go looking for groups of people doing stuff like marching who had some white in their clothing? What's actually interesting is the challenge of filming Usher, with a very dark complexion, in a white costume.

This makes shelling out for a Super Bowl commercial look like child's play. Mike Carson not only had more access to Usher and the other performers than anyone else, he was making a documentary with them. Plus he had an iPhone film crew on the field shooting the show in relatively uncontrolled, documentary conditions. What was the knock about the Apple event film? It was a completely controlled, studio performance.

Impressive that the Super Bowl was last Sunday and Apple released this exactly 7 days later.

These films - the Apple event, the Chinese New Year narrative film, and now this documentary - are Apple steamrollering the naysayers, and I suspect that there's more to come.
Last edited by robedge on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 5:10 am

Why so passive aggressive?

We are discussing tools here, and maybe iPhones were not the right tools or not handled by experienced people during the show. And when I say distracting, I mean at first view and not by single stepping or 0.25 speed.

And then, I didn't complain about the documentary parts at all, quite to the contrary. But a staged show performed in perfection deserves being filmed in perfection. In particular when the whole aesthetic structure of the project is juxtaposing it to the documentary parts.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

robedge

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 5:16 am

Uli Plank wrote:... maybe iPhones were not ... handled by experienced people during the show.

I look forward to seeing your e-mail to Mike Carson explaining that :)

Uli Plank

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 5:21 am

I already talked to him on the phone. A Samsung, of course.
:)

P.S. Oh, and he said that only parts of other costumes were white and blown out, and I excused to him ;-)

robedge

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 5:40 am

Apple's iPhone 15 film about Usher has been up for about 24 hours. It has already had 2.6 million views on YouTube, which I assume is not the only platform that it's been released on.

robedge

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 2:56 pm

[EDIT: Blackmagic did a forum update last night, as a result of which the images in this post went missing. Now corrected.]

Further to discussion above about quick release options (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191338&start=350#p1021510) ...

Toronto designer and craftsman Harry Benz has proposed a simple, clean quick release for a wrist strap that I plan to use with my iPhone 15 Beastcage and with conventional cameras. He’ll sew a swivel snap hook into a strap that he calls La Cravate (in French, a necktie). In the image below, the top of the ruler is metric, the bottom imperial:

Harry Benz Swivel Snap Hook.jpeg
Harry Benz Swivel Snap Hook.jpeg (324.01 KiB) Viewed 13971 times

This hook could replace the connection shown in either of these versions of the strap...

Brogue (instead of a sex bolt aka Chicago screw):

Cravate Brogue.jpg
Cravate Brogue.jpg (633.13 KiB) Viewed 13971 times

Pinstripe (instead of a solid ring):

Cravate Pinstripe, pink.jpg
Cravate Pinstripe, pink.jpg (266.18 KiB) Viewed 13971 times

The swivel snap hook can provide quick release for a D-ring screw on an iPhone cage, as shown in the photos in this post above: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191338&start=350#p1020980

On a Beastcage, it can also be used with a split ring on one of the cage's strap attachment points, shown in this post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191338&start=350#p1019570

I also plan to use this as my quick release strap for a couple of rangefinder cameras equipped with split rings. Indeed, it could be used for handheld shooting with my Blackmagic Pocket 4K.

Harry Benz's website: https://www.harrybenz.com
Last edited by robedge on Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter McLennan

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 7:32 pm

A remote trigger for a camera is very handy. I bought several for my Nikons over the years.

This little doodad works perfectly for the native Apple app, the Blackmagic app and Cinema 3 Pro. Both for video and still pix. Roll and cut from thirty feet at least.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BJFL4SFV?ref ... tails&th=1

EDIT

On further testing, this device has proven just barely worth its low price. My copy works well at close proximity (a few feet) and fairly well up to about twenty feet, after which it's unusable. Also, at the fringes of its range, it rolls and cuts the camera uncontrollably and results in a cacophony of audio alerts from the phone, the mixture of which can last for a couple of seconds.

Not recommended except for distances of less than five feet.
Last edited by Peter McLennan on Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

robedge

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 3:21 pm

I think that a quick release wrist strap (see post two up) is going to noticeably improve handling of my Beastcage. I decided to go with the Pinstripe version, black with the stripe in...

colour (1).jpeg
colour (1).jpeg (2.48 KiB) Viewed 13952 times

Now I wait :)

robedge

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 4:22 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:
The Usher film is pretty impressive, to say the least.

The phrase "Shot on iPhone" should probably be revised to "Shot on iPhones".

You've got that right :)

Peta Pixel has published an article on how the Usher film was made. Posted to YouTube three days ago, the film has already had 6.3 million views:

Apple Used 40 iPhones to Film BTS of Usher’s Super Bowl Halftime Show
https://petapixel.com/2024/02/21/apple- ... time-show/

There are several quotes from Director Mike Carson. The article also reveals that the director of photography was Xiaolong Liu.

Carson's website: https://www.mikecarson.tv
Xiaolong Liu: https://www.xiaolongdp.com/

robedge

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 11:23 pm

Harry Benz is sending the new Beastcage wrist strap tomorrow. He's posted a couple of photos of it on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3oJ6FjOYqB/?

The swivel snap hook should work well as a quick release.

cravate 1.jpg
cravate 1.jpg (433.38 KiB) Viewed 13866 times

cravate 2.jpg
cravate 2.jpg (448.86 KiB) Viewed 13866 times

Jomotech

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 4:32 pm

robedge wrote:Tilta planned to release its Khronos "ecosystem" for iPhone at the end of January. It missed that, and closed February 4 - 18 for Chinese New Year. It's now Monday, February 19th in China, and Tilta should reopen for business in a few hours.

Tilta told me the release for the Khronos platform will be late March. I'm assuming this is coinsiding with the NAB show in April.

Peter McLennan

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 5:32 pm

NAB this year is Sat, Apr 13, 2024 – Wed, Apr 17, 2024

robedge

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 4:21 pm

Jomotech wrote:Tilta told me the release for the Khronos platform will be late March. I'm assuming this is coinsiding with the NAB show in April.

Peter McLennan wrote:NAB this year is Sat, Apr 13, 2024 – Wed, Apr 17, 2024

On December 24th, Tilta said that Khronos would be launched at the end of January. As Jeremy says, and as Peter suggested in an earlier post, it looks like it's now planning on the run-up to NAB.

I still haven't seen Tilta or anybody else post video showing that the iPhone 15, Blackmagic Camera and Nucleus Nano II are working together as intended. We're told that Marc Webb used this combination in Little Garlic, but my impression is that it's not yet ready for use out of the box. If it is, where are the demonstrations?

Jomotech

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 6:14 pm

Figuring they will bring it out right before NAB, but if not ready, it gives them a few weeks buffer before the show.

Robedge, I would assume the same. Probably start with the cage and accessories, such as, lighting, battery, etc.

Peter McLennan

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 6:54 pm

I see conflicting information on the use of the DJI wireless Mic 2 for use with the iPhone.

Some influencers on YouTube say that selecting the Wireless Mic 2 as a Bluetooth audio device enables audio recording on the iPhone without using the DJI receiver. They also state that this same Mic 2 device can trigger remote roll/cut to the camera.

Can anyone confirm or deny this info?

andyromanoff

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 5:32 am

Hi all,

I'm just getting started using an iPhone 15 Pro Max and a Neweer cage as a wide third camera for multi-camera interviews. I've got a Samsung SSD and a Lark Wireless two-mic system and want to use them both on the iPhone at the same time. I have not found a small USBc two in, one out to plug into the camera. The ones I see only have data on one of the connectors, the other being just power. Does anybody have a suggestion for a true two-port USBc with data on both ports?

Thanks,

Andy

robedge

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 12:10 am

I’ve been using a wrist strap while making still photos and video with my iPhone for a couple of weeks. I find that I’m much less concerned about dropping the phone or having a run-in with someone who’s feeling aggressive. I initially purchased a Peak Design Cuff. It works, but I wasn’t keen on the design, the seatbelt material or the quick release system. Consequently, I spoke with Toronto leather designer and craftsman Harry Benz (https://www.harrybenz.com). Harry agreed to make me a wrist strap that he calls La Cravate (French for necktie), and proposed a swivel snap hook as a quick release.

I’m now able to compare Harry’s La Cravate and Peak Design’s Cuff. Unsurprisingly, Harry’s Cravate costs more. Made of water buffalo leather with a graphic design that I like, it also feels and looks better. What I didn’t anticipate is that Harry’s wrist strap also works quite a bit better.

His Cravate is narrower and longer, with a more compact one-piece connection. It’s more comfortable, and gives my wrist and hand more freedom This is particularly noticeable with an iPhone camera, where you want unconstrained access to the camera app’s controls, and to the face of the phone and its various apps in vertical orientation. Also, Harry’s one-piece swivel snap hook is easier and faster than Peak Design’s two-piece Anchor Link connection. There's a photo of Harry's snap hook 11 posts up.

There are two ways to attach Harry’s wrist strap to a Beastgrip Beastcage.

A Beastcage has an attachment point in the top right and top left corners. I have not seen these discussed anywhere. I assume that they’re to attach a strap, but it’s possible that they have some additional purpose.

The Cravate’s swivel snap hook can be clipped directly to one of the anttachment points, and the swivel provides full freedom of movement. I haven’t tried it yet, but one could instead attach a split ring to the attachment point, and the strap to the split ring.

This photo shows the strap with the metal snap hook attached to the upper right attachment point. The friend who “modeled” for these photos wore the strap fairly loose. I wear it a bit tighter. Adjusting the size of the loop is very easy, simpler than with Peak Design's Cuff.

top corner landscape.jpeg
top corner landscape.jpeg (297.5 KiB) Viewed 13023 times

The snap hook can also be clipped to a D-ring screwed into one of the camera’s 1/4”-20 sockets. In the photo below, I’ve screwed a D-ring into a socket on the camera’s lower right.

bottom corner landscape.jpeg
bottom corner landscape.jpeg (335.42 KiB) Viewed 13023 times

Both attachment points provide easy access to the iPhone's controls and apps in vertical orientation:

top corner portrait.jpeg
top corner portrait.jpeg (421.53 KiB) Viewed 13023 times

I can carry the Beastcage at my side by grasping the strap with my hand. This way my hand, rather than my wrist, supports the weight of the cage while walking. That said, I tend to just hold the Beastcage on one of its long sides, like I would carry a book.

I also plan to use Harry’s Cravate with a number of conventional cameras, which helps justify the cost. I’m very happy with the strap’s performance with the four that I’ve tried it with; namely, a Mamiya 7II medium format rangefinder and three Leicas, an M3, an M6 and an M (Typ 240).

Harry makes this strap in small, medium and large, this being a medium. While the choice is guided by wrist circumference, what size affects is strap length.

There are some posts above and on the previous page of this thread that may be of interest to others who are considering a wrist strap.

Peter McLennan

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 5:20 pm

Shure enters the prosumer wireless mic biz with "MoveVic"

No receiver required when you use it with your phone. Tiny. Good range, good sound. 8 hrs battery life. Serious wantbumps.

BUT, you have to use it with Shure's video app. Third party apps not supported. Not even Apple!

For me (and with regret) NO SALE.

robedge

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:12 pm

In 2019, Jacques Sax launched a two-channel portable audio interface and preamp called the SX-M2D2:

Sonosax SX-M2D2 Ports.jpg
Sonosax SX-M2D2 Ports.jpg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 12523 times

By all accounts, the M2D2 has superb preamps, and it can record to a smartphone or camera as well as to a computer. The drawback is that it doesn't record internally. This, as well as price, led many people to purchase a Sound Devices MixPre-3 instead.

I have a MixPre-3, and last week I revisited the M2D2. I asked myself whether coupling one with an iPhone 15 makes sense if the phone is being used to make videos.

Price
In 2019, the M2D2 was launched at US$1400. It currently costs $1640. The current price for a MixPre-3 II is $900.

Build Quality
The M2D2, which I've handled (alas, not heard), reminds me of a Sound Devices professional field recorder. It's built like a tank. That said, the MixPre recorders are very solid and very reliable.

Portability
The M2D2 is a bit smaller and lighter than a MixPre-3. I'm not convinced that the difference is significant.

Purpose of the iPhone's USB-C Port
People will have varying views on this. I'm not a fan of camera rigs. Absent a good reason, I don't want my iPhone's USB-C port to be in use while I'm operating the camera. Is there a good reason to plug in an M2D2 rather than record with a MixPre and Tentacle Sync?

Which leads to the question of...

Sound Quality
There appears to be a consensus that an M2D2 and a MixPre are close in raw recording sound quality. In videos, sound lives beside image, and in most videos dialogue, music, sound effects and atmosphere sounds are mixed. Regardless of which device is "better", I'm skeptical that that will come through in a finished video. The phrase diminishing returns comes to mind, in this case to the tune of US$740. That said, I would probably arrange for a comparative test of an M2D2 and a MixPre-3 if I was recording musical performances in a controlled environment.

The following current thread from Jeff Wexler''s forum has one of the more level-headed discussions that I've read about Sonosax equipment. The participants also talk about a number of Sound Devices recorders, the 7 series in particular. That interested me because I have and use, when I don't need the lighter weight of a MixPre, a two channel 702T (T for timecode): https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/top ... recorder/&

Service and Repairs
Sound Devices is in Wisconsin. The only Sonosax distributors in North America are Sonotechnique (Montréal), Trew (based in Los Angeles) and Gotham (based in New York).

Conclusion
I'd still like to try out Jacques Sax's preamp, but if I have funds burning a hole in my pocket there are probably better ways to spend it :)

robedge

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 9:39 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:Shure enters the prosumer wireless mic biz with "MoveMic"

No receiver required when you use it with your phone. Tiny. Good range, good sound. 8 hrs battery life. Serious wantbumps.

BUT, you have to use it with Shure's video app. Third party apps not supported. Not even Apple!

For me (and with regret) NO SALE.

Gee, I wonder why one of the first things the presenter in your video does (at 00:50) is compare the size of the Shure to Røde's brick :)

Options and pricing at B&H: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/shur ... c/ci/58003

B&H's sales pitch: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/pr ... icrophones

robedge

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 11:30 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:Shure enters the prosumer wireless mic biz with "MoveVic"

No receiver required when you use it with your phone.

Yes. Confirm that your lav mike is paired with your phone. Check your app settings. Press record.

One person or two. Direct to phone, no receiver needed.

Like this:

robedge

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 12:43 am

As a boost to the spread of smartphone video, Shure's MoveMic may be bigger than anything that comes out of NAB.

I don't have a problem with the requirement to use Shure's app. To my mind, the ability to record direct to phone outweighs that. I wonder how far ahead Shure is of Røde and DJI. Røde has so many overlapping products on the market that I'd need a spreadsheet to figure out the differences.

Shure's pricing looks quite competitive, at least for a phone:

Kit for one person: US$250
Kit for two people: $350
Kit for two plus a receiver (needed to record to a conventional camera or computer): $500

Peter McLennan

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 1:43 am

robedge wrote:As a boost to the spread of smartphone video, Shure's MoveMic may be bigger than anything that comes out of NAB.

We'll see. I can't get to NAB this year, but I think it'll be a good one. I'd expect to be awash in AI stuff and phone video.
I don't have a problem with the requirement to use Shure's app. To my mind, the ability to record direct to phone outweighs that.

Depends. They gloss over the video app. No detail at all about what it can and can not do. If you can't shoot Apple log, for example, then it's a no-go for me.

robedge

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 4:27 am

Peter McLennan wrote:They gloss over the video app. No detail at all about what it can and can not do. If you can't shoot Apple log, for example, then it's a no-go for me.

This is what Matthew Allard says in yesterday's Newsshooter article:

Connect your MoveMic Receiver to your mobile phone for additional compatibility with third-party and native apps on your mobile phone. Direct-to-phone connectivity is only recommended for use with Shure MOTIV apps.

I think we need to see clarity from Shure about what "recommended" means.

That aside, I think that the vast majority of people shooting smartphone video are more interested in simple audio recording and processing than in features like Apple Log and ProRes. Earlier, you linked a video by a gentleman who sells courses on the business use of video. He compared the Røde Go and the Shure MoveMic. It's clear that he's dumping Røde. It's also clear that he doesn't need either Log or ProRes. If he has a special project where he wants to use those features, he can use his MoveMics with Apple's app or Blackmagic's app via Shure's receiver. If you're running a business and pumping out YouTube shorts, or you're making videos for TikTok, Shure's simple route to audio recording is pretty attractive.

I think that the video three posts up is quite effective. Shure's campaign focuses on that couple, and there are at least two versions of the video.

I'm interested to see what Curtis Judd says. He's just finished reviewing Shure's more conventional new SLX-D wireless system.

Peter McLennan

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 4:29 pm

I think that the video three posts up is quite effective.

I'll say. If that noise reduction is real and not a post production trick, that's a good reason right there to spend the $250 on a TX-only Shure system, even if you have to use Shure's video app under those
conditions.

Lots of info on the Shure audio app. Very capable by the look of it. I can't find anything on the video app.

Maybe BM is on the case and they'll announce compatibility with the MoveMic. We can always hope. :roll:

Peter McLennan

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 6:38 pm

The Shure video app ("Motiv Video") is available for iPhone on the app store.

I installed it and, as I feared, it's pretty limited. Version 1.9.1.638 is what was available on 2024 03 06

Lens changes are suspiciously slow - a couple of seconds to change - but .5x, 1X, front (selfie) camera and the long lens all are available. Pinch to zoom.

It appears to be using some form of stabilization but there's no apparent way to change it or turn it off.

On my iPhone 15 Pro Max the app offers no audio input choices other than "built-in mic". BMD and CinemaP3 both offer to use other connected Bluetooth devices. (My hearing aids, for example)

Tap and hold for focus and exposure lock. Swipe up and down for exposure. No histogram or waveform that I can see.

No roll/cut audio notification.

Shure mentions some compatibility with the Apple Watch but it appears to be audio focused. There was no mention of using the watch as a viewfinder, as the native Apple system does. I didn't try it with my watch.

The viewfinder display can show a rule of thirds grid and an artificial horizon. :roll:

The app offers no information on what codec it's using. It simply offers 720, 1080 and 4K at 60, 30 or 24 fps. Too bad, PAL countries. (see below for more on codec used)

No mention of log. Viewfinder shows a normal display, not a log image that usually requires a LUT, so Apple log is a no-show, I'd say.

Imagery has the typical over sharpened look of phone video. No controls for that variable are available.

The app asked for permission to store videos in the photo library but when I looked in "Photos" I couldn't see them. Neither could "Files". It turns out that you have to explicitly save ("share") a video file before it appears in "Photos". This option is only visible when you preview a just-shot video. Once I figured this out, I could see, play and copy the files with the phone connected to my PC via USB-C.

VLC reports the media is h.265 at 29.996 fps. (I chose 4K 30) Interestingly, on my Windows 10, RTX 3060 system the media plays smoothly in VLC, unlike BM Camera and Cinema P3 h.265 files which play very poorly. A one minute clip used 168 MB

This is an audio-focused app. It offers extensive monitoring and control, including a limiter, a compressor and EQ, but very limited video controls.

Despite these limitations, there's no doubt this app will satisfy the majority of prosumer users. For those requiring pro-level video (log!) as well as pro-level sound, we'll have to look elsewhere.

robedge

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 7:52 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:The Shure video app ("Motiv Video") is available for iPhone on the app store.

Despite these limitations, there's no doubt this app will satisfy the majority of prosumer users. For those requiring pro-level video (log!) as well as pro-level sound, we'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks, very helpful overview of the Shure video app.

Posted by Shure this morning:

How To Connect MoveMic One & MoveMic Two To Your Mobile Phone With the Receiver

robedge

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 3:35 pm

There's a new maker of microphone shock mounts and wind protection called Radius Windshields. Details in this new thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197784

robedge

PostSun Mar 10, 2024 7:28 pm

This post will only interest people who have a Sound Devices USBPre 2 computer audio interface, and people who are thinking of purchasing one.

usbPre 2.jpg
usbPre 2.jpg (145.55 KiB) Viewed 11942 times

I can confirm that an iPhone 15 can power a USBPre 2 and that the Blackmagic app recognises it as an audio source. All I needed was a cable adapter from the end of the USBPre's cable (male USB-A) to the phone's USB-C port. I used Apple's "USB-C to USB Adapter" (US$19).

When I plugged in the USBPre, I got the following phone screen and tapped "Other Device":

USBPre screen.jpeg
USBPre screen.jpeg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 11942 times

In the Blackmagic Camera app, the USBPre showed up as an available input device in Settings > Audio. I selected it. Done.

USBPre BM app.jpeg
USBPre BM app.jpeg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 11942 times

From there, I can move freely between the Blackmagic app and, for example, the Apple Music app, without further on-screen questions. Also, when I disconnect the USBPre my iPhone remembers it when I reconnect. The phone doesn't ask what kind of device it is again. I just plug it in and I'm good to go.

Note:
Sound Devices launched the USBPre 2 in 2010 and continues to make it because there's still a demand. Indeed, at US$1080, it costs almost $200 more than a MixPre-3 II. However, I don't think it's a large market. In 2024, I doubt that there are many filmmakers who own a USBPre 2 or want to purchase one. I've posted this mostly because there are people outside this forum who may be interested.

This looks like it's Sound Devices's 2010 press release for the USBPre 2 launch: https://www.prosoundweb.com/sound-devic ... interface/

robedge

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 10:55 pm

Having discovered that I can use a Sound Devices USBPre 2 as an audio interface to an iPhone 15, now I want to find out whether I can use a MixPre 3 and a MixPre 6 the same way.

When using a USBPre as an audio interface to a computer, the computer has to supply all the power. It does this via USB 2.0.

When I want to use a MixPre 3 or MixPre 6 as an audio interface, I set it up the same way, except that it consumes more power than a USBPre 2, requiring a USB-C cable.

However, when I use a MixPre as a stand-alone audio recorder, unconnected to a computer, I power it from a lithium ion battery. I want to know what happens when my MixPre is connected by a USB-C cable to my iPhone, and also to a battery.

Will my iPhone and the Blackmagic Camera app accept my MixPre as an audio input? If so, does powering a MixPre from a battery significantly reduce the amount of power that it would otherwise draw from an iPhone?

I should know the answers to these questions sometime this evening. If anyone else has tried this, I'd love to hear what you discovered.
Last edited by robedge on Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robedge

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 1:17 am

Further to the above post...

The iPhone 15 Pro Max and the Blackmagc Camera app will also record sound from a battery powered Sound Devices MixPre-6 II:

Audio Settings.jpg
Audio Settings.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 11622 times

As with the USBPre 2, when I plugged the MixPre into the phone I was asked whether I had connected headphones or an "Other Device". I selected the latter.

The Blackmagic app recognized the MixPre immediately. As shown in the above screen capture from the app, I selected the MixPre for audio input.

I should note that the two condenser mikes that I had connected to the MixPre were drawing phantom power.

It appears that the MixPre was initially drawing power from the phone. When I looked at the MixPre screen, I saw this message:

USB-C Power is Low.
Battery power present
Would you like to run on battery power?
Yes No

The phone battery was about 80% full. I read the message as meaning that whether the MixPre was getting enough power from the phone was touch and go, not that the phone was running out of power. If needed, a MixPre does have a low power mode that can record from two phantom powered mikes.

I selected Yes and switched to MixPre battery power.

I made a few recordings to confirm that I was able to record to the phone, using "Mic" as inputs.

I didn't continue for long enough to say anything definite about draw on the phone, but the MixPre encouraged the use of battery power, and it seemed to make a difference. A couple of days ago, I connected my MixPre to the phone without a battery and successfully used it as a playback device from the Apple Music and Podcast apps. I did not like what was happening with the phone's battery consumption :) Tonight's rate of consumption seemed a lot more reasonable :)

I invariably record sound and image on different devices. With the iPhone, I think that I might make some exceptions. In some cases, recording straight to the phone should reduce the workload a bit, while not placing too much burden on the phone's battery. For people who don't have Tentacle Sync timecode, the ability to record high quality audio direct to the phone should be very welcome.

robedge

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 6:54 pm

Beastgrip has been including its SSD clamp in its YouTube videos and shorts for weeks. Today I asked it for an update on status. Greta from support says that they're fully occupied filling pre-orders for the new Depth of Field optic (DOF Mk. III), and that the SSD clamp will be released as soon as that work is completed.

robedge

PostSat Mar 16, 2024 1:59 am

Another genre down... Shot on an iPhone 15 Pro in Japan. Lots of info about this on anime sites.

Midnight

The Making of Midnight

robedge

PostSun Mar 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Curtis Judd has posted his review of Shure's MoveMic:

SHURE MoveMic Tiny Dual Transmitter Microphone Direct to Mobile Phone

robedge

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 3:17 am

Interesting demonstration of Beastgrip’s new Depth of Field Adapter, Mk. III:

How to Connect an Anamorphic Lens to an iPhone 15

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:16 pm

I wanted a new boom pole that's 1.8m-2.7m (6’-9’) long and that collapses to under 76cm (30”). I thought that I’d share a chart that I made showing poles in that range. Please note that my chart isn’t exhaustive. It lists makers and carbon fibre/graphite boom poles that I was interested in. K-Tek makes boom poles that are cheaper than the ones in the chart, as do several manufacturers that aren’t included.

I chose the 2.29m (7’6”) Panamic. In addition to using it as a boom pole, I plan to use it in two unconventional ways. With my Beastcage and phone mounted on it, it will provide quite a bit more reach/height than my monopod, at less weight. Who needs a crane? :)

Because the pole has a 3/8”-16 thread on the bottom, it can also be set up vertically on the ground for ambient stereo recording.This article, about a sound recordist who uses the 1.83m (6’) Panamic, explains: https://www.panamic.net/2018/03/14/toug ... s-panamic/ He uses a mount that he designed himself, but the pole can also be mounted on a ground tripod.

I should note that Ambient, K-Tek and VdB boom poles can be cabled internally or externally, although they are almost always cabled internally until one gets to quite long poles. Panamic poles are designed to be cabled externally regardless of length, with the cable wrapping around the pole. Cabling a Panamic pole costs less than the others in the chart.

There’s a thread on Jeff Wexler’s forum that discusses the boom poles in the chart and the considerations that led to going with Panamic model 53-5803: https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/top ... -too-many/

boom pole chart.jpeg
boom pole chart.jpeg (142.07 KiB) Viewed 9826 times

Ambient (Germany): https://ambient.de/en/boompoles/
K-Tek (USA): https://ktekpro.com/product-category/boompoles/
Panamic (UK): https://www.panamic.net
VdB (France): https://vdbaudio.com/vdb-boompoles/

robedge

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 9:02 pm

Further to the above post...

Special effects recordist Watson Wu using a boom pole to record the crowd at a football game. The pole is lighter than a monopod and has more reach. The external cable lets him tailor the length of the cable to what’s necessary and eliminates the possibility of the microphones (probably mid-side stereo) recording noise from an internal coiled cable moving around. Note the Velcro strips holding the cable in place.

Watson Wu.jpg
Watson Wu.jpg (611.37 KiB) Viewed 9679 times

I found the video below sort of amusing: Wu trying out a 6m (20’) K-Tek boom pole for size. The mike at the end is a Sennheiser MKH 8040 cardiod in a Rycote #10 Windshield. The pole is internally cabled, and as Wu says at the end he’d have to be attentive to cable noise. With the pole weighing 1.7kg (3.7lb) plus the weight of the windshield, shock mount and microphone, I don’t think he’d be holding it horizontally for long :)

I prefer the physics of the Panamic that I ordered: 2.3m (7’6”), 450g (1lb). Because one should maintain about 5cm (2”) of overlap between boom pole sections, the practical maximum length of the Panamic, which has 4 sections, is actually about 2.1m (6’11").

robedge

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:42 am

I think that the Strada YouTube channel is rapidly becoming “must watch” in relation to iPhone video.

While the decision to use Apple Vision Pro in this episode is interesting, use of that device is not central to the content.

To my mind, the important thing is that the filmmakers say that they got Tilta’s Nucleus-M to work with the iPhone. Note “Nucleus-M”, not Nucleus Nano II, which suggests that the latter is still not working properly with the iPhone. On the upside, this video suggests that Nucleus-M does work, although they don’t actually demonstrate that.

There are also topics in this episode specific to Beastgrip’s DOF Adapter Mk 3, Tentacle Sync E and the Blackmagic Camera app.

If you want to know what a 1st Camera Assistant does, this video explains, in detail.

Can Apple Vision Pro Change Filmmaking Forever?

robedge

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 12:33 pm

Tilta says that its Khronos cage and iPhone “ecosystem” will be available for pre-order as of NAB. See the description for this video:

The fellow in the video is named Blake Ridder:
https://ridderfilms.com
https://www.youtube.com/@BlakeRidder

Peter McLennan

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 4:37 pm

Interesting. Thanks! Those little screws were an attention-getter for me. The cage would have to be a daily driver for this to be practical. MF looks good, as does the quick-detach handle. Not sure who would ever need the Mag-Safe fan (if that's what it is)

Hopefully a slew of iPhone announcements from NAB, given the huge changes it represents.

The iPhone 15 Pro Max is the best camera I've ever used. I shot this from the side of the road in AZ last week. Hand held, of course, standing in the desert. All I did was push the button and hold as still as I could. The FG lighting is from a truck stop nearby.

My Nikon Z6 was on the truck, but the show would have been over while I was still setting up the tripod.
Attachments
IMG_2627 800 px.jpg
IMG_2627 800 px.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 8807 times

robedge

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 1:11 pm

That Arizona photo is very cool.

The Tilta video effectively says that Nucleus Nano II follow focus is now fully functional on the iPhone.

Peter McLennan

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 pm

robedge wrote:That Arizona photo is very cool.

No other camera I've used in nearly four decades of earning my living with cameras could have pulled off that shot.

I even got coverage. :) Although the tele lens is nowhere as good as the "main" camera.
Attachments
IMG_2629.JPG
IMG_2629.JPG (633.27 KiB) Viewed 8644 times

robedge

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 3:25 am

There’s an update to the Blackmagic Camera App, version 1.3.

update.jpeg
update.jpeg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 8568 times

robedge

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 pm

Blackmagic Camera, version 1.3 update:

bm update 1.3.jpeg
bm update 1.3.jpeg (158.29 KiB) Viewed 8415 times

Peter McLennan

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:25 pm

What's the SOP for upgrading?

robedge

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 4:33 pm

Peter McLennan wrote:What's the SOP for upgrading?

If Grant Petty is serious about Blackmagic Camera, I think that it would be wise of him to provide a roadmap at NAB. I guess he could drop another update, but that would require a type of humour that I haven’t seen in him to date :)

robedge

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 5:45 pm

Kondor Blue USB-C media hub for pre-order (US$90): https://kondorblue.com/products/usb-c-hub-for-iphone-15

Peter McLennan

PostTue Apr 09, 2024 8:41 pm

We can expect a flood of cool new iPhone film making gear at NAB. I've been to at least a dozen of them and I wish I was going to this one.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography