BM 6K FF FPN/banding

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Vitaly

Re: BM 6K FF FPN/banding

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 1:00 pm

Uli Plank wrote:It depends completely on the position of strong lights and the kind of lenses you use. Even the same lens can look good in one scene and bad in another.
Oh, and BTW, these days Zeiss, just like Leica, sell their names if somebody is ready to pay for it. My 30 year old Zeiss C/Y lenses have beautiful flares, but old Minoltas are even better. They don't adapt to EF mount unfortunately, with one exception.

Finally, this discussion is pretty much off-topic, this is not what most people would call banding.

To clarify the topic, I suggested looking for the problem in the flickering of the light and the shutter speed set on the camera. And the lenses give different flares, where they are harder, the effect will be stronger. Personally, I see a connection between light flicker, camera shutter speed, and lenses. The official response from the support service was this: this is a feature of the matrix and camera. This means that with such parameters there will be such bands.
BMCC6K FF and BMPCC4K. Lens: Canon 50mm L 1.2, Canon 16-35mm L 4, Canon 24-105mm L 4, Canon 100mm L 2.8, Carl Zeiss 50 mm 1.4, Sigma 10-18mm 2.8.

Uli Plank

PostSun Jan 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Well, if strong lights causing the flicker due to wrong exposure times and they are in the frame or if they are close to it and you forget to use a French flag, you are correct.

But I'd consider it a secondary issue. You primary issue is based on the frequency of the lights, the frame rate and the shutter setting.

Flares from lights that are flicker-free can look beautiful.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

OGsigmafp

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 8:14 am

Howard Roll wrote:
OGsigmafp wrote:The digital gain applied in camera seems to be the cause of the smearing. So better off avoiding that scenario.

There is no digital or analog gain applied in camera until ISO6400. The artifact is just buried at lower ISOs.

Good Luck

The camera is boosting the gamma (digitally) above the base iso's.

100 is the base iso on the low analog gain circuit, and 200-1000 iso's are having their gamma boosted (digitally) by the camera. Black and white clipping points (dynamic range) is not affected by the gamma boost.

1250 is the base iso on the high analog gain circuit and 1600-6400 iso's are having their gamma boosted (digitally) by the camera. Black and white clipping points (dynamic range) is not affected by the gamma boost.

Long story short, you're better off shooting at one of the base iso's depending on the lighting, and raising the gamma in post where you have more control over the noise floor.

RubenS89

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 2:06 pm

OGsigmafp wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:
OGsigmafp wrote:The digital gain applied in camera seems to be the cause of the smearing. So better off avoiding that scenario.

There is no digital or analog gain applied in camera until ISO6400. The artifact is just buried at lower ISOs.

Good Luck

The camera is boosting the gamma (digitally) above the base iso's.

100 is the base iso on the low analog gain circuit, and 200-1000 iso's are having their gamma boosted (digitally) by the camera. Black and white clipping points (dynamic range) is not affected by the gamma boost.

1250 is the base iso on the high analog gain circuit and 1600-6400 iso's are having their gamma boosted (digitally) by the camera. Black and white clipping points (dynamic range) is not affected by the gamma boost.

Long story short, you're better off shooting at one of the base iso's depending on the lighting, and raising the gamma in post where you have more control over the noise floor.

But Howard is still right about the smearing being buried in the lower ISO's. CMOS smearing is a physical issue with the sensor, it is not caused by any gaining method after the sensor although it can off course become more visible with more gain applied.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 7:46 pm

OGsigmafp wrote:
NB don't confuse native iso with the recommended iso's of 400 and 3200 (which are digital gain iso's meant to distribute dynamic range for ease of monitoring shadows and highlights and are not native iso's).

Ehm based on what?
If you connect camera to atem where you not using iso but gain, zero gain is at 400 iso.
It’s a real question, I’m curious to know how do you deserve this point.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Grandemo

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 1:03 pm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what's the latest take on this matter? Should this banding/striking effect be viewed as something you have to deal with (whit this camera) or simply a sensor error?

I'm trying out the camera at the moment and am LOVING the image in the right conditions but feel hesistant about this thing.

See my testing here:

Thanks.

davo_me

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 3:19 pm

Just a quick note here in April 2024 – I had this issue, but it was solved by deleting Blackmagic's unhelpful Proxy files.

Davinci read them automatically from the Camera Originals folder, which was totally useless. Didn't give me any indication that I was viewing proxy files (in Davinci Resolve, the Media window claimed I was working with 6K files)

But the banding was appalling, and it being a tiny mp4 file makes total sense.

What makes no sense is doing this automatically and not offering a flag to show users that's what's happening.

Bug report for Davinci please!

Alex Mitchell

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm

Grandemo wrote:See my testing here:

That's... wow. I mean, I do get the impression that there's not a ton of light hitting the sensor but that's a pretty rough image.
Previous

Return to Cinematography