Troubleshooting recording / file issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

Troubleshooting recording / file issues

PostTue Nov 14, 2023 10:41 am

Many times i saw and ear about files problem, especially today with bigger files and too much ... fluid thinking which is an excuse to not follow the rules :shock: .

What can give you a problem with Braw files?

• Recording on wrong (not certified ) support
    (certification is not a simple test, mean that bmd or someother test in many different condition the support from first to the last byte, too much elements can break your speed chain and ruin a shooting)
  • Recording on fragmented support (delete and write from computer or cameras)
  • Recording on support not formatted from your camera
    (not many people know or verify how many hidden files are written from certain brand that cause problem, be cause that brand obviuosly optimize for his cameras)
  • Recording on support with wrong cable
    (not all cable are the same)
  • Recording on external support with inadequate battery power
    (less considering trouble but it's the causes of 90% of braw corrupted on external disk, many external plate had dual power 7.4v -12v be sure to connect on right pin)
  • Recording on a support not correctly locked to camera during motion shooting
    (usb c is the weakest connector on earth, a small motion can cause disconnection of one pin, enough to ruin the shot)
  • Turnoff camera without waiting it stop to work on support
    (many people shutdown camera in play mode. come back to recording mode and shutdown)
  • Recording at bitrate higher / quality than support without advise on Frame missing
  • Open support from Windows and allow that chkdsk do his work to destroy data’s (more frequent than you think, never leave connected your external support to Windows during reboot)
  • Energy interruption during recording
    (disconnected battery or ignored end of life battery, remember that a battery when go low in energy, the camera start to reduce energy to external device and later turn off camera, this causes on Cfast or Usb disk corrupted closing braw files)
  • Updating of firmware of support
    (sometimes the frantic mania to update all forget that all chain is based on old status of chain and update something is not ever a good thing).
  • Copying file without check, at today we have a free tool in Resolve to clone content of our files to other hard disk, if you not like Resolve there is a great free tool called QuineCopy
    https://www.quine.no/quinecopy
My experience with BMCC, BMPC4K, Ursa Mini Pro G1, p4k, 2x p6k G1 give near to zero problems about corrupted file on work :-D

John Brawley

Re: 12 Rules to be sure to have a problem :-D

PostWed Nov 15, 2023 3:48 pm

This should be a sticky, it would deal with 85% of the questions that get asked here.

Good summary!

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 21, 2023 2:50 pm

John Brawley wrote:This should be a sticky, it would deal with 85% of the questions that get asked here.

Good summary!

JB

Thanks John :-D
i hope that rules help users to reduce problems.

paulscurry

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 3:11 am

John Brawley wrote:This should be a sticky, it would deal with 85% of the questions that get asked here.

Good summary!

JB

My video won't play. Or load in editing

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 4:06 pm

paulscurry wrote:My video won't play. Or load in editing

in camera was playable? if yes, it's a copy problem
if not was ones of my previous list problems, it's hard to recover.

carlomacchiavello

Re: Troubleshooting recording / file issues

PostWed Jan 03, 2024 4:41 pm

Steve Matthew wrote:Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with handling BRAW files. Your detailed insights into potential issues and practical tips are incredibly valuable. It's evident that your expertise comes from hands-on experience with various Blackmagic Design cameras, and your willingness to share these insights helps the community navigate potential pitfalls.

i only show some of my errors to avoid the frustration of having problems with the files.

Pandit Devsharma

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 2:18 pm

I appreciate your generous sharing of knowledge and expertise in handling BRAW files. Your in-depth insights into possible challenges and practical advice are highly valuable.

PaulSurvival

PostMon Feb 19, 2024 8:43 pm

Shooting in 4k RAW, I must be doing something wrong. I film a sequence for a test shoot and the image freezes after only a few minuets when I play it back?
The sound continues to a still picture. Any Idea what this is?

I thought it was originally because I was using a USB-C Lacie which was not on the list for compatible with BMPCC 4k. Now I have a compatible USB-C Hardrive it hasn't solved the issue?

If Someone can get back to me

Kind Regards
Paul

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am

Freezing in the camera or on a computer?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography