Color grading bmcc raw vs prores

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

joechiazza

Color grading bmcc raw vs prores

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 5:32 pm

Does anyone find it a little more challenging to grade a raw image from the bmcc instead of prores. Both set to film mode. Kind feel like the colors get a bit muddy-ish and a little noisy in raw. Plus it's almost way too sharp in areas.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom

Re: Color grading bmcc raw vs prores

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 6:30 pm

I did a related series of test videos:

In general I found them to be very similar in how far you can push or grade them.

I did not push either so far as to expect them to break, I was going for a more realistic approach.
No doubt if I did push them to breaking point, the ProRes would break first.
Tom Majerski
Colourist at Tracks and Layers
http://www.Tracksandlayers.com
Motion Graphics - Colour Grading - VFX

David J. Lee

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Not 100% sure what you mean by "too sharp" but that might be aliasing which, yeah, sucks. And working Resolve completely slams my system. I really need a more powerful computer.

Noise is there for sure, but I feel like that's the case for any raw video. There's definitely been noise in the RED RAW footage I've worked with.

However, all other adjustments are far easier for me. Being able to change color temperature is hugely useful to me, and I definitely get more control when keying colors or messing with the hue curves.

For my preferences, if it weren't for the tremendous space, bandwidth, and processor requirements, I'd want to work in RAW all the time.

Kofa

PostThu Feb 20, 2014 6:49 pm

David J. Lee wrote:Not 100% sure what you mean by "too sharp" but that might be aliasing which, yeah, sucks. And working Resolve completely slams my system. I really need a more powerful computer.

Noise is there for sure, but I feel like that's the case for any raw video. There's definitely been noise in the RED RAW footage I've worked with.

However, all other adjustments are far easier for me. Being able to change color temperature is hugely useful to me, and I definitely get more control when keying colors or messing with the hue curves.

For my preferences, if it weren't for the tremendous space, bandwidth, and processor requirements, I'd want to work in RAW all the time.

Agreed. Being able to adjust white balance and exposure with a slider saves tons of time. I'm currently experimenting with Neat Video to remove the chroma noise that is apparent more in RAW footage.

Here's a tutorial for grading your footage in After Effects. This workflow states to denoise your footage prior to grading it. Check it out:
@kofaboyah
kofaboyah.com

Return to Cinematography