After URSA Model?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Re: After URSA Model?

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 8:00 pm

rick.lang wrote:Off topic, but what’s an assembly editor? Does it go beyond being responsible for screening dailies?

So beyond DIT work, I'll start assembling edits of scenes beyond dailies for the crew to see how the footage edits together. Essentially I'm starting the edit.

The way the producer who approached me wanted it was because I can DIT, Edit, and Color, it's getting a jump start on everything. It's a more advanced level of DIT because this producer said to the director "I know the person to get who can take DIT beyond just DIT."

Assembly Edit: The assembly edit is when the editor looks through all of the footage and creates a story outline. The first stage of editing, is when the editor looks through all of the footage and arranges the shots in script order.

In essence I'll be putting together the rough assembly cut of the film together as they are shooting.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 8:13 pm

I assume the shot order is following the tradition of not being in the sequence of the script order and grading, music, sound and visual effects, foley, ADR, etc will be integrated later by the Editor and Colourist. I just was not aware of that title and you may eventually be credited as Assistant Editor. Still a big challenge, so fingers crossed for you!
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 9:02 pm

rick.lang wrote:I assume the shot order is following the tradition of not being in the sequence of the script order and grading, music, sound and visual effects, foley, ADR, etc will be integrated later by the Editor and Colourist. I just was not aware of that title and you may eventually be credited as Assistant Editor. Still a big challenge, so fingers crossed for you!

Thanks!

This probably stemmed from a commercial shoot months ago with the same producer. We shot over 3-days three different commercials. I was the DIT/AC-Focus Puller on the gig. Plus Camera to LED Wall Tech. Multiple hats. And, I was asked at one point to just put together a few select shots to demo for the client. I ended up in an hour cutting a quick edit of the commercial thus far. It impressed the producer and client so much.

The power of using the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard because that made my speed in editing efficient as ever. I ended up doing that two of the three days for the rough edit on those two commercials of the three. Then I did the "official" edit on one of the commercials before the client scrapped all the commercials because they weren't happy with the actors.

This is also a client that kept changing their mind on the backgrounds for the LED wall. They had us shoot the scenes twice with different actors because they couldn't decide on an actor for the scene. So, they were the most indecisive client. Despite my work they were never going to be satisfied. At least I got paid. And, the producer was impressed enough that it resulted in this feature gig being brought to me.

I would love if we could have Blackmagic Cameras on set. Not my decision. But I love working with Blackmagic Cameras.

rick.lang

After URSA Model?

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 9:36 pm

Frustrating backgrounder with a happy ending. I’ve a client that might be thought of as… well you know, a little hard to satisfy. However he finally did send me effusive praise saying my music videos were very helpful in their landing additional gigs.
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 5:51 pm

I can't help but think BMD is cooking up SOMEthing.
The L Mount FF is really great. I love using it.

But man.... I'm dying for an updated model, that isn't the Pocket body or Ursa Mini body.
for multiple reasons, but (I know it sounds silly) I really want something new and inspiring, ya know?
The way most manufacturers are going now are offering prosumer and higher-end lines, but BMD has always been WAY more affordable at the quality they deliver.
I love watching a video a lens manufacturer puts out and I think, "Nice! great image. That's gotta be a Arri, right?" Then I scroll down and see Pocket 6k Pro used, and I'm like "Oh yeah, they put out great images, haha."

I want Blackmagic to 'wow' us again. Give us something that makes us sit up in our seats.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

After URSA Model?

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 5:58 pm

BMD has many released cameras in the last ten years that meet the criteria of making us “sit up in our seats.” Here’s to the next one!
Rick Lang

Donnell Henry

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 pm

Agreed rick!
GODS CREATE

James SaintSurin

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 7:31 am

The New Line of Cinema Cameras should be called...
Pandora (for Pandora's box :lol: ) Full Frame Sensor

Wishful thinking Specs :P
S35 & Full Frame Sensor Options
15.5-16.5 usable stops of dynamic range
14-16bit Raw
8 stops of ND
A detachable (5 or 7inch) Monitor that can control ALL BMD cameras
An App that provides live feed & control New Pandora (& Ursa 12k) cameras
....etc

An upgrade Sensor option for Ursa 12k owners (if they would like).
Helping Creatives Create
https://www.saintmediapro.com/

Adam Langdon

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 2:25 pm

What would be a bit of a bummer is a middle ground camera body, between the Ursa Mini and Pockets, that is just the 6k sensor rehoused.
I want/need at least 8ms sensor readout and more than 13 stops of dynamic range.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

rick.lang

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 4:47 pm

James SaintSurin wrote:The New Line of Cinema Cameras should be called...
Pandora (for Pandora's box :lol: )...

Of course that name would be perfect only if the next camera is a box. Easy to remember and avoid the initially awkward reception of the first URSA (why URSA, what’s that mean?). And the initial
disappointment with the BMPCC4K (doesn’t fit in your pocket like the original BMPCC). Give us a simple name that’s intuitive.
Rick Lang

James SaintSurin

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 10:06 pm

Adam Langdon wrote:What would be a bit of a bummer is a middle ground camera body, between the Ursa Mini and Pockets, that is just the 6k sensor rehoused.
I want/need at least 8ms sensor readout and more than 13 stops of dynamic range.

I believe the Ursa 12k, when filming in 8k, reads out at 7.8ms.
Helping Creatives Create
https://www.saintmediapro.com/

timbutt2

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 3:48 am

Adam Langdon wrote:What would be a bit of a bummer is a middle ground camera body, between the Ursa Mini and Pockets, that is just the 6k sensor rehoused.

The 6K sensor is definitely my least favorite sensor. I'd rather they re-use the 4.6K sensor than the 6K sensor.

I shot a test shoot today doing vertical video on the P6KPro, and found I hate all the footage. Micro Jitters are more obvious in vertical mode when handheld. The rolling shutter artifacts are worse. The whole thing its a pain to hand hold even with the battery grip. Granted, I hate vertical video and this test made me detest it more.

Still, I came to love the UMPG2 more over the P6KPro just doing this shoot.

VMFXBV

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 3:36 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
The rolling shutter artifacts are worse. The whole thing its a pain to hand hold even with the battery grip. Granted, I hate vertical video and this test made me detest it more.

Still, I came to love the UMPG2 more over the P6KPro just doing this shoot.

Same here. I'd take the 4.6K sensor over the Pocket 4K/6K any day. The rolling shutter artifacts really hit you in the face on the Pockets coming from the Ursa 4.6K. While I like the Pocket, if I can use the Ursa instead despite the larger size, there is no choice between the two.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

timbutt2

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 3:14 am

Again, my math says the 4.6K taken to VistaVision size would be 6.5K in resolution. Then the 12K going to VistaVision would be 16K. Both are better sensors than the 6K sensor that was put in the Pockets.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3333vFM ... _copy_link

There's the reel I shot yesterday on the Pocket. See if you can see what I'm saying about those rolling shutter artifacts.

Tom Roper

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 6:05 am

Says I have to be over 18 to watch it. Nice at my age to get carded but I'd like to see it.

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 4:41 pm

Tom, maybe there’s some truth to the saying that old guys go through a second childhood!
Rick Lang

Adam Langdon

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 2:32 pm

NAB is about a month out....
I wonder if we'll see something before, during, or after?

I mean, I'd prefer before, haha.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 3:30 pm

in the past, they’ve sometimes posted an email a week or so in advance of NAB. So no news yet is normal. by the end of March, perhaps…
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 8:49 pm

I'm super excited already for NAB. But I was talking with someone mainly about NAB and DaVinci Resolve updates recently. I also mentioned to another person lighting gear.

As for camera advancements I simply want certain improvements that I've spoken of in the past. A lot of it has to do with that workflow on set and then into post. I really hope we can get a big cinema camera update from Blackmagic that integrates their Camera 2 Cloud Features and as well a Full Frame / VistaVision URSA Mini Pro. Or even something beyond the UMP and into new camera model line.

Again, I want things to be more seamless. When using an external monitor like a Video Assist I'd like to be able to use the touch screen to control camera settings without having to flip out the on camera LCD. So having either wired control or wireless control from that monitor is important to me for streamlining on set shooting.

Expanding the camera to have more SDI Outputs, having separate Timecode and Genlock ports, and having a lemo connector up front to power lens motors is all about streamlining the camera as well. And, the URSA Viewfinder is need of an updated design.

Blackmagic is aware of all these demands not just from me but the demands of others. They see what the competition is doing. They have been working on something. I think we are in for a big surprise when they do announce the next major cinema camera.

Tom Roper

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 1:57 am

Just not Vega!
And not Nova, or Comet, Galaxy, Falcon or any other U.S. car from the 60's/70's.
Nothing that flies, crashes, orbits, explodes or burns, not Constellation, not Starfire.

BMD Pericles, or Pompei would be okay, something Mediterranean but not too close to Venice.

timbutt2

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:05 am

Tom Roper wrote:Just not Vega!
And not Nova, or Comet, Galaxy, Falcon or any other U.S. car from the 60's/70's.
Nothing that flies, crashes, orbits, explodes or burns, not Constellation, not Starfire.

BMD Pericles, or Pompei would be okay, something Mediterranean but not too close to Venice.
Pompei?! Do want Vesuvius to erupt and destroy the footage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Roper

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:12 am

If it's really good, really iconic, what about, DaVinci?

Probably not Yellowstone, Vesuvius, Krakatoa or (sobbing), Pompei.

Tom Roper

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:14 am

You'd be hanging your reputation on DaVinci if you used that one.

Tom Roper

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:20 am

Or the safe bet, Ursa Mini Pocket. The shape of things to come, Lol..

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:34 am

We’re not able to have any agreement on a name. Maybe Grant has a memorable name for his favourite dog or gold fish. something that has a personal connection to Grant or the team might be appropriate as long as it’s not Fido. Fido is a mobile phone network in Canada.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 2:44 am

If you want something Italian, what about Milano, Genoa and a high-end model called San Remo?
Not so close to a volcano.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

timbutt2

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 6:08 am

It needs to be Australian. Blackmagic is an Australian company. So the team needs to decide a name that befits that country.

rick.lang

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 9:03 am

if their next camera family is an iconic statement, I totally agree. An iconic place that’s one word. So it can’t be Alice Springs, but perhaps Bondi if that’s not already a trademark.
Rick Lang

VMFXBV

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 11:11 am

timbutt2 wrote:It needs to be Australian. Blackmagic is an Australian company. So the team needs to decide a name that befits that country.

The Blackmagic No Dramas camera.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 11:54 am

Uluru?
There's a beautiful film, partially with color separation over time, by Arthur and Corinne Cantrill:
"The Second Journey (To Uluru)"
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2019/progra ... 02279.html
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G
Previous

Return to Cinematography