Missing Part: URSA 4K (big) LWS baseplate Wingnut

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

maddan

Missing Part: URSA 4K (big) LWS baseplate Wingnut

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 12:53 pm

So, I just bought my beloved URSA 4k (original big one) and I love it. I already own a BMCC 2.5K which I love.
After unpacking my URSA 4k, I realized that the lws baseplate was missing a Wingnut on one of the sides. A replacement wing nut can easily be bought on eBay. However, the problem is that the Wingnut goes through some tiny shinny nut like circular metallic molding before it can tighten or loosen the 15mm rod that goes through the lws plate. Problem is I have failed to identify this part online and can't tell it's name. Have tried to search online and eBay for parts similar to this molding but can't find anything close
Here's a picture of what talking about.
KIMG0456.JPG
Picture of molding when removed from LWS plate
KIMG0456.JPG (306.14 KiB) Viewed 970 times

rick.lang

Re: Missing Part: URSA 4K (big) LWS baseplate Wingnut

PostWed Dec 13, 2023 9:57 pm

I don’t know about the details of the original 4K, but looking at my UM4.6K, it is a complicated arrangement. I disassembled the so-called wing nut but it’s not a conventional piece at all and can’t imagine where one would find it. Try BMD Support as they may have some spare parts in a drawer.
Rick Lang

maddan

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 5:56 am

Thanks Rick for the answer, thou' it leaves me disappointed. This is my second disappointment with the URSA v1 big... first, I had to take the camera to a blacksmith to drill the Molex door after B/magic used very rare 1.3 hex nuts whose screwdriver is rare to find on market.

The problem with the lws missing that part which fixes the wingnut is that it will be impossible to to rig the camera since one of the 15mm rod will not hold/will have nothing to hold it in place. But I will try BMD support

carpentermike

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 7:34 pm

rick.lang

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 7:42 pm

Good to know as Annex Pro has been my BMD camera provider but I didn’t realize they had a spare parts webpage for BMD gear! Still cheaper by far than the US military buying a couple of screws.
Rick Lang

maddan

PostSun Dec 17, 2023 8:36 pm

carpentermike wrote:https://annexpro.com/product/camera-ursa-mini-wing-nut-spares/
not really cheap

Thanks so much Mike. Delighted to see that one of these is available for spares. But am surprised the thing is that too expensive. Surely, what is there in those parts to justify all that cost?

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 19, 2023 10:22 pm

It might be that the part is rarely required since it’s included with the shoulder mount kit. I took mine apart related to your post but haven’t touched that since the day I assembled my UM4.6K rig in the spring of 2016. So a lot of overhead for the vendor to keep parts that are almost never requested. I was surprised and glad to see it was available in Vancouver BC.
Rick Lang

maddan

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 6:36 am

UPDATE ON MISSING PART
Hi everyone, am reposting new information about the subject, just to help any URSA user who might have the same problem some day. So that missing spare was just too expensive from the website annexpro.com that Carpenter Mike had suggested. I also tried eBay to see if I could find a cheaper one but all the same. The replacement was costing about US$130. That's a lot of money for just two cheapie tiny nuts the size of a keyboard button. So today out of chance, I landed on the thing selling very cheaply on Wooden camera (replacement page) at just US$15 for the Unified 15mm rod O-ring. and the wingnut screw can also be bought separately on the replacement page at same price. You will spend about US$30 for all. Am not advertising for wooden camera but there are lots of other tiny replacements you buy from there cheaply. See the Links below the image
Unified-15mm-Rod-Plug-with-O-ring.jpg
Image of O-Ring
Unified-15mm-Rod-Plug-with-O-ring.jpg (32.71 KiB) Viewed 426 times

https://woodencamera.com/collections/re ... ith-o-ring
https://woodencamera.com/collections/replacement-parts

Return to Cinematography