4K prores vs 2,5K raw for green screen

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Klaus Rodahl

4K prores vs 2,5K raw for green screen

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 12:35 pm

Has anyone tested what gives the best results for green screen yet? I got the 4k version a few days ago and have not had the time to test whether the 4k prores pulls a better key than 2,5k raw. Anyone has any thoughts? I guess I'll know by the end of the week anyway;)

best regards
klaus

Fabián Matas

Re: 4K prores vs 2,5K raw for green screen

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Well maybe I'm wrong but 2.5k raw is uncompressed, so probably it's better than prores. But It depends on the channels the prores Is compressing(for the green screen the chroma one). I'm sure some buddies will know better.

David J. Lee

PostTue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

But the extra resolution of the 4K theoretically makes a pretty big difference as well, especially on the edges of the matte, and the 4K prores will likely provide solid color information for a key, if the BMCC 1080P Prores footage is any indication.

I'm very curious to see a comparison myself.

Darko Djerich

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 am

Green screen can be done real well with 7D and h.264 "when lit right" I even shot green screen vertically to get double resolution ,that made my 7D almost 4K so when downscaled 50% no aliasing could be seen!
This statement should then make BMCC 2.5K RAW a "King".

Now let say we do this with BMCC in RAW format,my point is they all be fine,if your key is bad no camera will get the job done,If I went for paid shoot tommorrow and had all options ,it would be BMCC 2.5 K, IF CAMERA IS NOT USED FOR FAST MOVING SHOTS AND MOTION TRACKING (jello effect)

However, global shutter will make BMPC4K better green screen camera even in prores when shots are not steady or off the tripod.
Artist
Creative Film Enterprises Pty Ltd
creativefilm.com.au
ARRI Alexa EV, ALEXA Plus, MBP M3Pro, iMac5k i7 48gb AERO 5 OLED rtx3070ti BMD eGPU phase one p40+, UM4.6 ef bmcc ef bmpcc, speed editor, Ultrastudio mini 4k dji Inspire RAW 4K

Klaus Rodahl

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 2:11 pm

I haven't been able to compare yet - but pulled a real quick key on the 4K prores and I'm quite happy - took a chance and shot all in 4K but also shot a test with 2,5k raw so i'll get to compare later. But all in all a quick 2 minute key in nuke looks decent considering I have no shame when it comes to quickly throwing up a badly lit greenscreen;) Pics to follow...

Jason R. Johnston

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Raw certainly gives you more flexibility, 4k certainly gives you more resolution, but we've been getting decent keys from compressed standard def for ages. Really, what it's all about is a properly lit chroma background.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

David J. Lee

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 6:01 pm

krodahl wrote:I haven't been able to compare yet - but pulled a real quick key on the 4K prores and I'm quite happy - took a chance and shot all in 4K but also shot a test with 2,5k raw so i'll get to compare later. But all in all a quick 2 minute key in nuke looks decent considering I have no shame when it comes to quickly throwing up a badly lit greenscreen;) Pics to follow...

Yes Please.

Return to Cinematography