Original BMPPC help; won't fit metabones speedbooster EF-MFT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bob Roberts

Original BMPPC help; won't fit metabones speedbooster EF-MFT

PostTue Jan 09, 2024 11:33 pm

Hi All

I hope someone can help; sort of a compatibility issue.

I purchased a used metabones speed booster EF-MFT T mount XL 0.64x and i'm having trouble attaching it to my BMPCC camera...it does not want to lock in...is there a trick? or do i have the wrong one.

Could there be a physical problem relating to how much this metabone sticks out the back? (to get the .64x redux)....here's some pics...tried my best but I hope this gives you an idea of the issue at hand.

Thank you

ps..I contacted metabones but they have not got back to me...

Michel Rabe

Re: Original BMPPC help; won't fit metabones speedbooster EF

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 11:17 am

The EF-MFT XL 0.64x is not meant for the original BMPCC. See the compatibility list and the **.

https://www.metabones.com/products/deta ... EF-m43-BT3

"** Standard Micro Four Thirds cameras like the Panasonic GH4 have a total of approximately 4mm thickness of filter glass near the sensor, and the Speed Booster XL 0.64x is designed to work optimally with this thickness of glass. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera have substantially thinner total filter glass thickness, which may cause noticeable aberrations when the Speed Booster XL
0.64x is used on Blackmagic cameras at large apertures. For best results on Blackmagic cameras it is recommended that the appropriate Blackmagic-specific Speed Boosters be used."

However I am not sure if it shouldn't at least attach to the mount.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 11:38 am

This wouldn't explain why it doesn't fit. It would only be softer than expected.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Michel Rabe

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 12:11 pm

Yes I mentioned that. It's the wrong adapter anyways but if he wants to re-sell there shouldn't be any issues with it.

Bob Roberts

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 7:42 pm

Thanks; I wouldn't mind aberrations just concerned about the lack of connectivity.

ps...interesting I found an old forum topic here relating to this

"Thank you for purchasing Metabones adapters.

Your feedback about Metabones SpeedBooster being too tight to mount on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is due to the thickness tolerance of BMPCC Micro Forth Thirds (MFT) mount varies from the MFT standard. Therefore, some customers may find their SpeedBoosters for BMPCC are too tight.

In order to provide the best service to our customers, there are two options to fix the issue.

Two Options:

A) Replacing the new MFT bottom mount by yourself (depends on your location).
Metabones will send you the new MFT bottom mount. It takes about 1 week.

B) Replacing the new MFT bottom mount by us.
Sending the adapter back to us, we will replace the new MFT bottom mount for you. The turn around time is around 2 weeks (depends on your location). The shipping fees for collecting and sending back the adapter will be paid by us (free to customer)."

So looks like you can either replace the bottom mount yourself or send back the adapter to Metabones."

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17509

Brad Hurley

PostWed Jan 10, 2024 8:58 pm

Bob Roberts wrote:Your feedback about Metabones SpeedBooster being too tight to mount on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is due to the thickness tolerance of BMPCC Micro Forth Thirds (MFT) mount varies from the MFT standard. Therefore, some customers may find their SpeedBoosters for BMPCC are too tight.

There is definitely some variation in manufacturing. I have an original BMPCC and two BMMCCs. My Metabones speedboosters and plain adapters fit perfectly on the BMPCC, a little tighter on one of the BMMCCs, and almost too tight on the other BMMCC.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

SnowyNW

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 12:53 am

Hello, I have the same metabones speedbooster, but I've never had any problems with attaching to my bmpcc og.

I'm following up on the comment about incompatibility with the .64 XL. I've read in other forums there are no problems, metabones also confirms compatibility in the description of the speed booster, and I believe others have confirmed they are compatible in other forums.

Any experience?

Return to Cinematography