Question on FF Camera and Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Justinp008

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 9:25 pm

Hello,
Looking at getting my first BM Camera.
I’ve looking at the new BMCC6k Full frame vs The Pocket Cinema 6k Pro.

Question: do the sigma art 1.8 18-35mm and Canon EF macro 100mm IS work on the full frame camera? If not - is there an adapater or can you please recommend similar quality lenses that are right for the full frame?

Thank you for your help.
Best
J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 8:43 pm

Generally Canon EF and Nikon FX photo lenses are designed for full frame 135 film (36mm x 24mm). Canon EF-S and Nikon DC photo lenses cover APS-C sensors that have a crop 1.6x to 1.53x compared to 135 film.

Traditionally cinema lenses cover Super 35 (around 24.9mm horizontally) with a crop about 1.44x compared to 135 film; or half that for Super 16 lenses.

Mirrorless cameras originally Four-Thirds and later Micro Four-Thirds have a crop of about 2x compared to 135 film.

The Sigma 18-35mm is considered a Super 35 lens although it claims a 28.4mm image circle so there might be some vignette on slightly larger Super 35 digital sensors.

There are really no rules, only conventions, so good to check the image circle of a lens or the manufacturer’s recommendations as to suitable mounts.
Rick Lang

carlomacchiavello

Re: Question on FF Camera and Lenses

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 9:28 pm

Sigma 18-35 could vignette on some sensor.
I tested with s35 ursa 4.6k not vignettes
Canon ef-s 17-35 vignette on Ursa4.6k

Both ef-s different circle image.

If you choose ff 6k, be ready to invest on good full frame lenses or you can see smooth edge.

Full frame mean not only different picture but also different investment on lenses.
If you quality you should spent a bit, reason be cause I not move to ff and stay on s35.

I not need or like wide angle but at same time I just a small good set of different prime and zoom on ef-s, that mean move to ff mean buy again all.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Justinp008

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 10:43 pm

rick.lang wrote:Generally Canon EF and Nikon FX photo lenses are designed for full frame 135 film (36mm x 24mm). Canon EF-S and Nikon DC photo lenses cover APS-C sensors that have a crop 1.6x to 1.53x compared to 135 film.

Traditionally cinema lenses cover Super 35 (around 24.9mm horizontally) with a crop about 1.44x compared to 135 film; or half that for Super 16 lenses.

Mirrorless cameras originally Four-Thirds and later Micro Four-Thirds have a crop of about 2x compared to 135 film.

The Sigma 18-35mm is considered a Super 35 lens although it claims a 28.4mm image circle so there might be some vignette on slightly larger Super 35 digital sensors.

There are really no rules, only conventions, so good to check the image circle of a lens or the manufacturer’s recommendations as to suitable mounts.
Thanks Rick, very much appreciate your insight and advice. Best Justin

Justinp008

PostWed Jan 31, 2024 10:44 pm

carlomacchiavello wrote:Sigma 18-35 could vignette on some sensor.
I tested with s35 ursa 4.6k not vignettes
Canon ef-s 17-35 vignette on Ursa4.6k

Both ef-s different circle image.

If you choose ff 6k, be ready to invest on good full frame lenses or you can see smooth edge.

Full frame mean not only different picture but also different investment on lenses.
If you quality you should spent a bit, reason be cause I not move to ff and stay on s35.

I not need or like wide angle but at same time I just a small good set of different prime and zoom on ef-s, that mean move to ff mean buy again all.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Thanks Carlo,
Very much appreciated!
Best
Justin

timbutt2

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 11:56 pm

The Sigma 18-35mm definitely vignettes on Full Frame. It doesn’t have a large enough image circle to cover full frame, so I’d advise against using that lens.

Try getting a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 L Mount to work with the BMCC6K.

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Justinp008

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 4:56 am

timbutt2 wrote:The Sigma 18-35mm definitely vignettes on Full Frame. It doesn’t have a large enough image circle to cover full frame, so I’d advise against using that lens.

Try getting a Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 L Mount to work with the BMCC6K.

Thanks Tim. Much appreciated. J

Return to Cinematography