BMCC6K Bitrate Readout

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

OGsigmafp

BMCC6K Bitrate Readout

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 8:01 am

My understanding is that the BMCC6K uses the IMX410 sensor from Sony.

This sensor can do 14 bit readout at 4K ~35 frames per second.

Does the BMCC6K use this 14 bit readout when in the 4K crop 30 frames per second mode?

RubenS89

Re: BMCC6K Bitrate Readout

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 10:32 am

OGsigmafp wrote:My understanding is that the BMCC6K uses the IMX410 sensor from Sony.

Does the BMCC6K use this 14 bit readout when in the 4K crop 30 frames per second mode?

Not sure, we don't actually know if the sensor that BM sources has the exact specs as Sony lists on their website. Maybe they source a modified version? But my guess is whatever the readout bit depth is, they keep it consistent across all frame sizes and frame rates.

OGsigmafp

Re: BMCC6K Bitrate Readout

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 12:59 pm

RubenS89 wrote:
OGsigmafp wrote:My understanding is that the BMCC6K uses the IMX410 sensor from Sony.

Not sure, we don't actually know if the sensor that BM sources has the exact specs as Sony lists on their website. Maybe they source a modified version? But my guess is whatever the readout bit depth is, they keep it consistent across all frame sizes and frame rates.

It's interesting, because the XH2s and the new 4D-8K have 12 bit readout as a baseline and tap into the 14 bit readout in their higher resolution / lower frame rate modes, and the dynamic range benefit is quite significant if you look at CineD and Gerald's tests (albeit with more rolling shutter).

I suppose it's also reliant on the BMCC6K having sufficient processing power, but if it's driving 6K/36 12 bit you would imagine it could reasonably drive 4K/24 14 bit.

Return to Cinematography