BMPCC6K and Nikon F lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Steve913

BMPCC6K and Nikon F lenses

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 11:58 pm

I’m new to BM and I’m an owner of a ton of full frame Nikon lenses.

First of all, what adapter do I need to adapt the F mount lenses to my L mount BM camera?? I saw a Novoflex Nikon F Lens to Leica? Or a Metabones Lens Adapter for Nikon F-Mount, G-Type Lens to Leica L-Mount Adapter?

Secondly, will I get the image I want with a Nikon prime or my other Nikon lenses? Or do I need to go for a cinema oriented lens like the DZOFILM Pictor 20-55mm T2.8??

My ultimate goal is indoor multi person interview shots looking sharp.

Thanks!

RRRoger

Re: BMPCC6K and Nikon F lenses

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 5:43 pm

I too have a ton of Nikkors. There is no adapter that allows AutoFocus but a SpeedBooster might be useful for you.

Brad Hurley

Re: BMPCC6K and Nikon F lenses

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 6:08 pm

Steve913 wrote:First of all, what adapter do I need to adapt the F mount lenses to my L mount BM camera??

Since you mention L-mount you must be using the BMCC 6K, not the BMPCC 6K. You won't need a speedbooster for that; you should be able to mount your F mount lenses with no problem using any F to L-mount adapter. It's worth spending more for the good ones like Novoflex that will eliminate risk of internal reflections and should allow you to achieve infinity focus without having to apply shims.

If your F-mount lenses are manual all should be simple. If you have AF-D or other AF lenses you'll have to do some research on L-mount adapters to see if any of them can drive autofocus on Nikon lenses. I know Monster makes one of these that works beautifully on Sony E-mount but not sure if they've developed one for L-mount. If you have G-mount lenses with no physical aperture ring you'll need to make sure your adapter can adjust aperture.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Return to Cinematography