FX30 and 12G Video Assist Monitor

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Todd Groves

FX30 and 12G Video Assist Monitor

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 5:41 pm

Hi,
I've seen videos of people using the Panasonic S5iix to record to a BM Video Assist 12G monitor, and using the USB-C port to record BRAW to an external SSD.

Will this work with the Sony FX30 and the BM monitor?

Maybe a silly question. But, I wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.

Håkon Broder Lund

Re: FX30 and 12G Video Assist Monitor

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 6:17 pm

No. It's only a limited amount of cameras that supports BRAW recording. I wish it was more cameras, Sony in particular. Sony only supports ProResRaw on Atomos recorders.
Camera: UMP | P6K Pro | P4K | Canon R5 | Many EF and RF lenses
Computer: 3960X | 128GB RAM | 1080Ti
Remote: Top spec MBP 2015

Todd Groves

PostThu Feb 15, 2024 7:41 pm

Håkon Broder Lund wrote:No. It's only a limited amount of cameras that supports BRAW recording. I wish it was more cameras, Sony in particular. Sony only supports ProResRaw on Atomos recorders.

Strange that it's limited to cameras. I would think that the BRAW recording is coming out of the monitor, since you use a USB-C cable from the monitor to the SSD. Is it related to licensing?

ShaheedMalik

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 6:32 pm

Todd Groves wrote:
Håkon Broder Lund wrote:No. It's only a limited amount of cameras that supports BRAW recording. I wish it was more cameras, Sony in particular. Sony only supports ProResRaw on Atomos recorders.

Strange that it's limited to cameras. I would think that the BRAW recording is coming out of the monitor, since you use a USB-C cable from the monitor to the SSD. Is it related to licensing?

The camera manufacturer has to share the camera profile data

Todd Groves

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 3:35 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:
Todd Groves wrote:

The camera manufacturer has to share the camera profile data

That makes sense. I hope Sony does. It would add more value to their line of cameras.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:01 am

There’s more to it. Transporting RAW over HDMI is kind of an ‘off label use’. It’s possible, since after all it’s just zeroes and ones, but the camera’s firmware needs to support that.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Todd Groves

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 1:25 am

The FX30 records 14-bit RAW over HDMI.

When using the Panasonic S5iix, you connect to the BM Monitor via HDMI. Then from the monitor, from the USB-C port you record BRAW to an SSD. So, I assume that BRAW was coming from the monitor not the camera.

So, is it a matter of Sony giving BM codec information to enable the FX30 to work with the monitor?

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 18, 2024 2:42 am

I doubt that you get true 14 bit when going that that route.
For the rest, all has already been said. It’s up to business politics and the developers to implement or not.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Alex Mitchell

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 4:00 am

Uli Plank wrote:I doubt that you get true 14 bit when going that that route.

The raw HDMI signal is actually 16-bit linear, but you're correct; the ProRes RAW encoder quantizes that down to a 12-bit log file.

earthling

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 1:34 pm

Todd Groves wrote:The FX30 records 14-bit RAW over HDMI.

When using the Panasonic S5iix, you connect to the BM Monitor via HDMI. Then from the monitor, from the USB-C port you record BRAW to an SSD. So, I assume that BRAW was coming from the monitor not the camera.

So, is it a matter of Sony giving BM codec information to enable the FX30 to work with the monitor?

To be precise, the FX30 does NOT "record" raw. It sends a "raw" signal over HDMI, where raw refers to the untreated signal from the sensor, that's from that camera's (FX30) sensor. That is to say raw is not a specific format, it just means the raw data not converted to RGB, but each manufacturer has his own raw. So yes, for a VideoAssist recorder to be able to convert a FX30's raw signal to BRAW, Sony and BlackMagic would have to come to an agreement and Sony at least, would need to give some info about their raw signal, probably BM would also need to indicate what the VA recorder supports. Now Panasonic, Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Z-cam and even Leica have agreed to allow for BRAW recording with some of their cameras, see https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicvideoassist/techspecs/W-VASS-04#blackmagicraw, why not Sony ?!

Sign the petition asking for Sony to support BRAW recording with their cameras:
https://chng.it/rZkyjTrVfp

Edited on March 22nd 2024 to add the link to the BM page indicating which cameras support BRAW recording via a Video Assist Monitor.
Damien Molineaux
www.face-c.net

Return to Cinematography