Horizontal Lines - URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

EricDL

Horizontal Lines - URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2

PostWed Feb 21, 2024 4:10 am

After close to three years of regular use, my Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K G2 has started to record horizontal lines on the image.

This is NOT a banding issue, rolling lines, etc. There are very hard lines that flutter through the screen.

This only happens when using a V-Mount Battery. I've tested all of my batteries, same issue. When using AC power, the problem does occur.

The lines are visible on the LCD Monitor, as well as through the SDI outputs. They are also recorded onto the media.

I am using CF Cards for media.

I have tried recording in different formats - ProRes, BRaw, different frame rates; the problem persists.

A new V-Mount Battery Adapter is on the way, I'm hoping this solves the issue, but wondering if anyone has come across this issue in the past.

URSA_G2_SAMPLE1.jpg
Horizontal Lines are visible across the frame, most noticable around the bird's eye.
URSA_G2_SAMPLE1.jpg (890.34 KiB) Viewed 487 times

rick.lang

Re: Horizontal Lines - URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 11:11 pm

It’s been almost eight years since I installed my BMD V-Lock Battery Plate on the UM4.6K. I wonder if one of the wired connections is slightly loose? Perhaps re-installing your current plate will correct that. If all is good on AC power, and all your batteries are affected the same way, it’s possible it’s a slightly loose connection. Do you have anything else connected to the battery, like an external monitor? How exactly is any accessory connected?
Rick Lang

EricDL

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 5:25 pm

So I ordered and replaced the V-Mount battery plate. This did not fix the issue. The issue now also persists when using AC power. Now I am out of options.

Mike Potton

PostFri Mar 01, 2024 10:41 pm

BMD can replace the sensor board, or the power supply, they should be able to isolate and fix the issue at a cost.

If you are willing to take a risk and have the ability or know someone who does it's possible this G1 style fix might also help.

Return to Cinematography