Blackmagic Cam Workflow

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

spencerpokorski

Blackmagic Cam Workflow

PostSun Mar 03, 2024 6:27 pm

Hi,

I was using the Blackmagic Cam iOS app last night to record some concert footage. Looks pretty good with the preview LUT, but where can I find that LUT to get the same transform in Adobe Premiere?

Also, I'm extraordinarily confused. What's the canonical method to get footage from the phone to a computer for editing? Is there any seamless experience, or are you seriously advising us to airdrop hundreds of gigs of data?

Thanks.

Uli Plank

Re: Blackmagic Cam Workflow

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 1:27 am

IMHO, any serious filmmaking with an iPhone will need the 15 models to transfer data at reasonable speed by USB-C. With those ones, you can even record straight to SSD. Both Air Drop and the so-called 'Lighting' are painfully slow.

The Apple log LUT can be found in the developers area (and everybody can sign-up as a dev). DR 18.6.5 has the necessary LUT anyway, and is even assigning it automatically with RCM. BTW, Apple log is nicely optimised for 10 bit, far better than Sony's Slog2 and 3.

If you need a 17 pages article on the whole subject, PM me. It'll be in German, though.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 1:50 pm

spencerpokorski wrote:are you seriously advising us to airdrop hundreds of gigs of data?

I assume that you're using an iPhone 13 or 14. I don't understand why you think that Blackmagic is responsible for the speed of the hardware you choose to use. In any event, I have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and, like many people, I mostly shoot HEVC and transfer it via Air Drop. If that isn't good enough or fast enough for you, get an iPhone 15.

Uli Plank wrote:IMHO, any serious filmmaking with an iPhone will need the 15 models to transfer data at reasonable speed by USB-C.

Thanks for explaining who's a "serious" filmmaker and who isn't. It never occurred to me that that would come down to whether one owns an iPhone 14 or an iPhone 15, and whether one shoots HEVC or ProRes.
Last edited by robedge on Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 2:15 pm

Thanks for explaining how fast data transfer over the air can be with massively compressed data.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

robedge

PostTue Mar 05, 2024 2:36 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Thanks for explaining how fast data transfer over the air can be with massively compressed data.

We'll just forget about what you've written in the past about this being a matter of bitrate, which varies among the available apps and may change with the five month old, work in progress Blackmagic app. Isn't this where you normally get on your Cinema P3 hobby horse? :)
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Return to Cinematography