Newbie, should I shoot using Log profile on my Sony AX700

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

UKMark

Newbie, should I shoot using Log profile on my Sony AX700

PostFri Mar 08, 2024 6:35 pm

Hi all

Just signed up as I am starting out with Resolve having done a small amount of editing, first with FCP and Premiere, both of which I found totally confusing and could not get on with. DR just seems to fit for me. It is so intuitive. I love it.

So now I am starting to take things more seriously and hoping to learn more.

I play in a band and we record our shows (for promos and on-line posting to YT & FB). We have a small light show with color washes and spots on the lead singer.

I am using a Sony AX700 video recorder. The nice folk at B&H suggested this as it has a 1" sensor which they say is better for the indoor lighting environment I am using it for. I had tried a decent DSLR (Pana GH5 II) but could never get the light setting right. Either too dark or burnt out. The Sony seems to handle whatever is going on much better. As we don't have a camera guy, it is a set & forget thing at the start of the show from the back of the room.

Currently I am using the Sony in Auto and using all factory settings, save for changing the Frame rate to 24. The results are pretty good (to my untrained eye) but I wonder if I could be doing better. I haven't wanted to mess with stuff I don't yet understand! :)

I have spent many many hours on the net watching tutorials etc and have seen a lot of use by pro users of Log profiles in the camera. Is this something I should be using? If so, what are benefits likely to be?
Any advice on this or any other aspects of shooting live music with changing colored lighting would be greatly appreciated. Even if it is 'get rid of the Sony! :) ). Maybe a BM camera would be better suited? I would be prepared to invest if it is going to give better/great results. Just whatever I use I want it to work great with DR, it is such a great program.

BTW, apologies for this not being a post about BM cameras, I looked but couldn't see a better place to post. If it is in the wrong place pls just let me know and I will re-post in the appropriate place.

Many thanks
Mark

SalopFilms

Re: Newbie, should I shoot using Log profile on my Sony AX70

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 10:06 am

Two reasons I suppose for not filming in Log.

1. You only require to edit the footage for a quick turn around, and it's only going up on your website.

2. Your colour grading skills are at the start of that journey, so it's going to take a lot of post editing time
that you may not have.

Still another thought comes into my head. If you did film in log, you could just throw on a LUT and accept that with a few extra tweeks that would satisfy you, and later when you have looked at hours, and hours of tutorials and made all the mistakes that we all did, you can re-visit that old footage.

I would go with the camera you have for the present.

UKMark

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 6:35 pm

Hey Scott

Wise words indeed! It sure does seem like a big mountain ahead. But I am enjoying it with Davinci. I used to dread having to put together a show promo when I was using FCP or Premiere but with DR it just seems to flow.
We played a gig last night that I wasn't interested in recording so I recorded it anyway. It was a 3 set show so I did each set with a different Log profile. No idea what I am doing! But it will be useful footage to play with that really doesn't matter :)
Thank for the advice.
BTW, do you have any recommendations on tutorials to better understand the whole Log thing and which one to use etc??

Cheers
Mark

Jamie LeJeune

PostSat Mar 09, 2024 8:32 pm

Log transfer functions are designed to fit the full dynamic range of the camera sensor into the available bits of the codec, with a roughly even distribution of code values per stop of light. In post, you can then choose how those values are distributed within the range of your display spec.

This presentation by FilmLight's Daniele Siragusano is a masterclass in how digital camera sensors work and how the data they capture is best manipulated in post production. It begins with an excellent explanation of log transfer functions and digital camera exposure:

For solid information about working with Sony’s log transfer functions, check out Alastair Chapman’s blog posts:
https://www.xdcam-user.com/tag/s-log3/

I also highly suggest watching Blackmagic’s free training videos and reading the Resolve manual, especially the sections on color management.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training

After you get through BMD’s training, check out MixingLight.com for more in depth training on color grading in Resolve.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Jeffrey D Mathias

PostSun Mar 10, 2024 12:15 pm

If you don't get into the water it will be hard to learn to swim.

Log is like having the large box of crayons. Especially in the situation you describe shooting, log can capture more.

Stop watching and do. But if you do watch, watch one of the best sites to learn color grading:
https://www.youtube.com/@CullenKelly

...and those site mentioned by Jamie.
AMD Threadripper 1950x 16-core 3.4 GHz
96 GB Crucial DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMM RAM
AsRock Fatal1ty x399 motherboard
AMD Radeon Pro WX 8200 GPU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit version 22H2, build 19045.3208
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
iPad Pro M2

Return to Cinematography