Micro 4k G2 - Can I do both? - Ethernet / Cam Recordings

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

compumatter

Micro 4k G2 - Can I do both? - Ethernet / Cam Recordings

PostSun Mar 10, 2024 6:17 pm

I own the ATEM Extreme ISO and just purchased a Micro 4K G2. Can the ATEM record the cameras raw footage files to "its own ATEM attached storage" OR are those files only able to be captured via the camera's USB to SSD?

I was hoping to leave the USB hooked up to Ethernet so I could use that as needed but there doesn't seem to be an ability use the USB for both Ethernet and storage so I'm trying to understand how that works.

There are also USB-C hubs that contain both Ethernet and USB-C. Not sure if they would work here.

Any thoughts from the group are appreciated.

Jay

Howard Roll

Re: Micro 4k G2 - Can I do both? - Ethernet / Cam Recordings

PostSun Mar 10, 2024 7:27 pm

The Braw files are recorded to local USB which become available over ethernet after finalization. I’ve had success using an Uni USB C-ethernet/USB3 hub. AFAIK theres no way to record the Braw files to the Atem attached storage directly though file transfer is an option.

Good Luck
04246CB5-03FA-4BD9-8008-53E883AC299C.jpeg
04246CB5-03FA-4BD9-8008-53E883AC299C.jpeg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

Gingerbread

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:22 pm

Same question here. I'd like to record BRAW onto CFExpress and send commands via Ethernet to the cam. Both use the USB-C port. Is this feasable?

Howard Roll

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 8:34 pm

Gingerbread wrote:Same question here. I'd like to record BRAW onto CFExpress and send commands via Ethernet to the cam. Both use the USB-C port. Is this feasable?

Same answer, it works. Using the above adapter I’ve recorded Braw to SSD, Cfast 2.0, and even a thumb drive, none of my cams use CFE so I haven’t tested that format but there’s no reason it shouldn’t work. And yes, all while sending Rest commands via Postman or Companion.

Good Luck

Gingerbread

PostWed Mar 20, 2024 5:15 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
Gingerbread wrote:Same question here. I'd like to record BRAW onto CFExpress and send commands via Ethernet to the cam. Both use the USB-C port. Is this feasable?

Same answer, it works. Using the above adapter I’ve recorded Braw to SSD, Cfast 2.0, and even a thumb drive, none of my cams use CFE so I haven’t tested that format but there’s no reason it shouldn’t work. And yes, all while sending Rest commands via Postman or Companion.

Good Luck

Great, thanks for this.

stereo3d

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 7:25 am

Thank you for your answer. I tried another device with multiple functions. I could NOT get it to work.
Software version: Version 8.4, Build 44fd6b1c
Attachments
usbc_net.jpg
8 ports ethenert multi hub
usbc_net.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 627 times

Howard Roll

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 2:08 pm

I doubt the cam can provide enough current to power larger hubs. Usb C vs Thunderbolt may present issues as well.

I’ve used 4 different ethernet (Belkin, Amazon Basics, mystery dongle) adapters including the one posted above and have had zero issues.

It might be worth exercising some caution before randomly hooking up Usbc devices. There is no list of supported devices and the output specs for the port are a mystery. I can’t imagine it would provide more than ~5w on battery power.

Good Luck

stereo3d

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 3:17 am

I made another try. this model works for me, on power and with battery.
Attachments
usbc2.jpg
usbc2.jpg (195.39 KiB) Viewed 521 times

Return to Cinematography