URSA 12K vs. Ultrasync One Timecode

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

swtaylor

URSA 12K vs. Ultrasync One Timecode

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 2:42 pm

This weekend I was unable to find a combination of LTC output type/signal level on my Ultrasync One timecode boxes for timecode to be recognized on either a 12K to 4.6K G2 camera. Is there some trick to get it to work? I've never had any trouble with these boxes before, and BMPCC 4K/6K cameras magically recognize it as timecode when it comes in on an audio channel. Is there some setting that would make it work?

The TC output of my Betso devices is recognized by the URSA, I just don't have many of those to go around. I'd much prefer finding the proper changes on my end, or if a firmware update would make the URSA more likely to lock onto a wider range of input signals...
Last edited by swtaylor on Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rick.lang

Re: URSA 12K vs. Ultrasonic One Timecode

PostMon Mar 11, 2024 6:50 pm

Dumb question but do you have to pair the Ultrasync One with your cameras using Bluetooth?
Rick Lang

swtaylor

Re: URSA 12K vs. Ultrasonic One Timecode

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 3:34 am

No, the UltraSync One syncs over RF to other units, and has DIN 1.0/2.3 connectors (with a cable going to BNC) outputting word clock or LTC… I’ve always just used the LTC output going to the audio in of a camera. The BMPCC recognizes this input and automatically interprets it as external timecode and still records scratch audio along with the video. I have no idea why the URSA would refuse to recognize the LTC on its dedicated REF/TC IN port.

rick.lang

Re: URSA 12K vs. Ultrasync One Timecode

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 4:20 am

Sorry, I don’t understand why it’s not working. i use Tentacle Sync with the appropriate BNC connector to my URSA Mini Ref. input and vía a 3.5mm connector to my BMPCC4K.
Rick Lang

swtaylor

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 9:05 am

I've never had an issue running these with the cheaper BMPCC, which is why I was so shocked to have issues on the URSA. I'm hoping Blackmagic could provide some answers here about what URSA is expecting in terms of signal input that is less intelligent and forgiving than BMPCC.

ShaheedMalik

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 2:33 pm

You might want to get a BN cable for the Ursa. I believe on the Pockets it's a combo jack but on the Ursa you have to use the actual timecode input.

swtaylor

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 2:39 pm

Yes, I was using the DIN to BNC cable going into the TC/REF IN on the URSA. When it failed to work, I attached a Betso device also outputting linear timecode into that same BNC port and it was immediately recognized. I used multiple Ultrasync devices, multiple DIN to BNC cables, and it always failed. There is SOMETHING about the output of the Ultrasync that URSA doesn't like, that BMPCC is able to recognize. What is it? What levels and formatting is the URSA expecting? Does it want mic/line/other amplitude signal? The manual gives no specifics, just the implication of "plug it in and it will work" which has been the case in all other combinations.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 3:28 pm

As I recall, the Timecode is Line level on the Tentacle Sync. May be the same for Ultrasync One.
Rick Lang

Username

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 6:15 pm

To set the LTC Level:

1. Make sure your UltraSync ONE is switched on (see Switch UltraSync ONE On and Off on page 11).
    2. Press the Select button.
    3. Use the Up and Down buttons to scroll to the System Settings option.
    4. Press the Select button.
    5. Use the Up and Down buttons to scroll to the LTC Output Level option.
    6. Press the Select button.
    7. Choose the LTC output that matches the LTC input voltage that is required by your external device:
      Std Level - 3Vpp signal
      MIC Level - 70mVpp signal
      Low Level - 600mVpp signal
    8. Press the Select button to confirm.

Note: If you are using your UltraSync ONE to output LTC via the SYNC port, you will need to set the level for the SYNC port (see Set the SYNC Output on page 76).
Grew up with a Nikon FM
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6
MBP M1 16GB/1TB
MM M1 16GB/512GB TB4 1TB & 2TB
MM i7 16GB/1TB & PowerColor Vega 56 8GB

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 6:44 pm

Odd there’s no Line level identified.
Rick Lang

swtaylor

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:20 pm

I have tried all three of those LTC levels already with no luck.

And the SYNC port offers these levels:
For a genlock out, the Std. O/P Level is a 170mVpp signal and the High O/P Level is a 2.7Vpp signal.

So, we think we’ve had good luck with other devices hitting line level at ~1.2-1.7Vpp - But do we have actual requirements listed anywhere? What is the designed spec for the URSA input? I wonder if using the higher level but adding a 50 ohm or 75 ohm terminator inline would get us good values. But before I go throwing just a wild combination of things at it, I really want to know what I’m shooting for.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:35 pm

Hopefully someone using the Ultrasync One will kick in with a solution. you could also call your regional BMD Support to see if they can provide that information if it’s not in the respective camera manuals.

Years ago when I was selecting a Timecode generator, I was considering the Ultrasync (as well as Ambient Lockit and Tentacle that were popular on this forum). Glad I went with Tentacle and perhaps that is a possible solution for you regrettably.
Rick Lang

swtaylor

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:47 pm

Tentacle are great for plug-and-play, but a real nuisance to try to keep slaved to an external reference. My master clock is a GPS-synced Betso, which controls my TC Slate. So I’ve ordered additional Betso receivers, they are just way more expensive. The UltraSync have been solid units, and their battery easily lasts a whole day and works great with every other camera from Sony/Canon to RED Komodo. It’s just this one otherwise spectacular camera that is fussier than expected about TC IN.

rick.lang

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 7:59 pm

swtaylor wrote:Tentacle are great for plug-and-play, but a real nuisance to try to keep slaved to an external reference. My master clock is a GPS-synced Betso, which controls my TC Slate. So I’ve ordered additional Betso receivers, they are just way more expensive...

Agree the Tentacle seems to prefer to be the driver, not the passenger.

On one shoot where an audio engineer was working with his soundboard which used a Word Clock system feeding into his PC for recording the audio, I don’t think we were able to have his audio include my Tentacle Timecode. On a multi-camera shoot, I elected to record my own audio for the set via the MixPre-6 II. That proved to be was a good precaution as the audio engineer screwed up his recording of the first song and it was unusable whereas my recording was fine. I just eyeballed syncing his material in Resolve which works fine in a pinch.
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 10:21 pm

Does your clock output VIDEO ENCODED / VITC timecode?

I’m not sure LTC audio TC works on an URSA model.

LTC was designed to be a kind of back up timecode that you could just record as an audio stream on a sound track. (Sounds like an old fax machine)

VITC timecode is embedded in the SDI video stream. The camera can then “read” the VITC and jam sync its internal clock.

Do you have a VITC based clock to try with?

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

swtaylor

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 10:49 pm

The Betso and the Tentacle, both of which work fine on URSA, are definitely just LTC.

ShaheedMalik

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 5:59 am

What Sy/OP mode are you set to?

The UltraSync ONE offers several options for the SYNC O/P Mode. Let’s explore them:

SY0 (Default Mode):
In this mode, the SYNC output splits the signal between audio (right channel) and sync (left channel).
It’s the default setting when sync is used.
SY1:
Useful for syncing three UltraSync ONE units in a chain.
Example: UltraSync ONE A > UltraSync ONE B > UltraSync ONE C.
SY2:
Designed for syncing an external device (such as a Volca or iPhone) with an UltraSync ONE.
SY4:
Another option for syncing external devices.
Example: Syncing an UltraSync ONE with an external Volca or similar gear.
SY5:
Reserved for master sync scenarios.
When an UltraSync ONE is set as the master, it generates the PO-Sync signal for other devices to follow.

swtaylor

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 6:07 am

My UltraSync Ones are all receivers, slaved to a Timecode Systems :pulse (which itself is in sync with a Betso master)

Return to Cinematography