Sensor is not picking up light correctly

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jordifritz

Sensor is not picking up light correctly

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 10:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a BMPCC 4K set up on a tripod in our studio, it is purely used to film A-Roll and never leaves the tripod. We have the lighting set up, luts in the camera, etc... to keep every bit of A-Roll consistent and there haven't been any issues over the last 2 years.

However, I went to film some A-Roll this morning and when I went to drop the footage onto the editing PC I noticed it looked a lot darker than anything else we've shot. The lighting hasn't changed at all, the camera settings haven't changed at all, and the entire studio is as it was, but the image is completely different.

I did test shots to see how much the image was affected and it took me ramping my ISO from 500 to between 800 & 1000 to get the same exposure level. I tested the original settings on a secondary camera and the old settings should be perfect which means my camera is just not capturing a lot of light.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Is there anything I can do?

rick.lang

Re: Sensor is not picking up light correctly

PostFri Mar 15, 2024 3:27 pm

Not enough detail in the description of your problem. For example, when you altered the ISO, is this the ISO in the camera or in your PC edit program? When you were recording this morning, did you notice the image on the camera monitor seemed much darker? When you playback the footage in the camera, is it darker? Do
you use False Colour regularly to judge an appropriate exposure setting and if so did you notice pink areas now showing as medium grey or green?

Have you regularly done a sensor recalibration correctly several times over the years?

Although you didn’t make any intentional exposure changes is there any chance any of these items may have accidentally changed:
- frame rate altered or off speed recording set On?
- shutter angle or shutter speed altered?
- the aperture has shifted inadvertently?
- a LUT accidentally applied now and recorded in the footage?
Rick Lang

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 am

Are you using a speedbooster? I've had it once in a blue moon report wrong aperture values and I had to remount the lens.

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

May be an iris problem?
In past I had an accident on a lens that when I tried to correct focus manually (and it’s not manual setup) I force a bit until I understood is not unlocked… few degree
all ok about focus but later I discover that iris is somehow locked, I can close it but I cannot open it until I remove and put again lens on camera.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography