Tentacle Sync vs Deity TC-1 - which one to choose?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

danielpanev

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 6:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently evaluating the options to go "true wireless" timecode. My current setup is Zoom F6 recorder used as a TC master connected to 2 BMPCC4K via an Y splitter cable and 2 TRS cables permanently connected to the BMPCC4Ks while shooting (the cameras and the recorder are usually located within 3 meters apart so no issues). However I think that I want to go "wireless", so I've looked at Tentacle Sync options. Being located in EU it seems that I can purchase a single Tentacle Sync E Mk2 for €240, which is OK. However a reputable company here is selling a set of 3x Deity TC-1 for less than €500... Which seems perfect for my needs - I can attach one to each of the equipment pieces I use while shooting.
Is there any reason not to go for the Deities?

ShaheedMalik

Re: Tentacle Sync vs Deity TC-1 - which one to choose?

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 pm

I would go with the Deity TC-1s. Being able to synced wirelessly from a phone is great.

timbutt2

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:09 pm

I have used both systems. Primarily never invested in Tentacle Sync because every sound mixer I knew had them and would supply them on set. However, when Deity TC-1 was introduced I instantly invested in the 3 Set. And, I've been extremely happy.

The thing I like the most about the Deity TC-1 is that it has the LCD on the device so you can double check the timecode on it, the battery life, settings, and more. So I can visually see all three devices are synced when looking at the LCD with them next to each other. Then through the day I can go over and hit the device to check battery life. Granted battery is so good that I don't really have to worry as long as it was fully charged at the start of the day. Checking the settings on the device is fantastic, but you can still control it all from the app.

The Deity app is also good. Similar to Tentacle. You can see the settings, change the settings, label the device and which unit it is, and check battery life. This is common between both apps and systems.

The one thing I do like about Tentacle is that you can put a colored rubber band on each device so you can color code them. That way you know which is unit is on what. So RED is A-CAM and BLUE is B-CAM and GREEN is SOUND.

They both work great. I am loving the Deity however a lot. And, sound mixers are starting to carry the Deity TC-1 as well. Plus Deity makes a Timecode Slate that connects seamlessly with the devices, and as well the Theo wireless lav system. So Deity is really expanding their timecode based system in great ways.
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:19 pm

Some folks here have Deity gear and hopefully will comment. As you may know, to sync all my systems just before a shoot begins, I use two Tentacle Syncs to constantly jam Timecode on my BMPCC4K and UM4.6K after first temporarily jamming my MixPre-6 II to a Tentacle. My recording sessions are often about 4 hours and I’ve never had an issue with the generated Timecode. The MixPre-6 II maintains a good Timecode even longer than 4 hours.

I don’t know if the Timecode generator in your audio recorder is the same. You can easily test if before a live shoot by letting it run all day after setting its clock from your Tentacle or Deity or using the audio recorder as a master to set the clock on your Tentacle or Diety. After several hours, compare the Timecode from the audio recorder to your Tentacle or Diety.
Rick Lang

robedge

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm

Tentacle Sync was single-handedly responsible for bringing the cost of timecode within reach for most people, and it has really excellent customer support. Diety doesn't know what customer support is.

For a substantive comparison of the two systems, I suggest these:

Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

Ellory Yu

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 12:17 am

If you’re looking for reliability and support, Tentacle Sync. Price and features, Diety.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

AlwaysWritePat

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 pm

long time tentacle sync user who switched in Nov of 22...

I love the deity system, I have 6 boxes, and the slate, and use them at least 3x a week and have never run into an issue with reliability or sync issues, so I can't speak to their customer support since I never had to find out.

The Sidus Audio app can't get any simpler, it takes seconds to sync and battery life is great on the boxes. The slate runs on 2 NPFs and I can get 2 full days of shooting with both boxes & slate with some battery to spare.

The only downside is you even want to call it that-- for me is that it's not "wirelessly" compatible with the F6 so it always had to stay connected, not a big deal, just velcro to the top of the f6 and it didn't come with the DSMC2 cable (4pin) just the 3.5/3.5, 5 pin, a regular BNC and their cable was expensive for Red.

To be fair, I never had any issues with the tentacles whatsoever, theyre basically indie production standard. You can't go wrong with either

danielpanev

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 2:20 pm

Just got my Deitys yesterday evening and used them at 6 am today...
Learning curve is like 5 minutes - triple click to unlock and that's it - all other things are very logical.
Used them to sync 2x BMPCC4K and Zoom F6 - worked like a charm!

ierax332

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 6:29 pm

Tentacle syncs are great, actually used by pros doing Hollywood movies (saw the senior audio guy for a Ridley Scott movie using them, if that is your thing,) work great and have GREAT customer support. Batteries can be changed by you once their life is over. The tentacle sync app is great and syncs everything on the fly.
Never had any problem with them, I would give a hard pass on deity though

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:05 am

That’s very good! Reel life is better in sync.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography