Broadcast G2 8.5.1 Media Pool/Internal Colorbars

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Aaron Jolly

Broadcast G2 8.5.1 Media Pool/Internal Colorbars

PostMon Mar 18, 2024 7:25 pm

Broadcast G2 8.5.1 firmware update: I've run into some things I can't figure out.

1. Media Pool Thumbnails - I only get thumbnail previews for files recorded in braw or prores, not H.264/5. The media pool shows the files, just no thumbnail picture preview. Is this a future update, a technical limitation, or am I just doing something wrong?

2. Internal Colorbars - The behavior of the internal colorbars has changed since the update, but I didn't see anything about it in the firmware notes. We were using colorbars as part of our slate process by recording them internally. Now if I start recording while colorbars are active they turn off. Colorbars also cannot be activated while recording. It makes sense to me to prevent colorbars from activating while already recording, but I would still like to record them if desired. Perhaps our use case was too fringe?

Does anyone know about these changes? Do I need to contact support directly, or are these features I should request?

Steve Fishwick

Re: Broadcast G2 8.5.1 Media Pool/Internal Colorbars

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 pm

Aaron Jolly wrote:We were using colorbars as part of our slate process by recording them internally.

How were you recording colour bars internally on the UBG2? I've never been able to do that - they switch on but playback shows black with 1KHz audio tone only. I've just tried again and can't find any new settings. Agree old school useful for me.

Aaron Jolly

Re: Broadcast G2 8.5.1 Media Pool/Internal Colorbars

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 6:54 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:How were you recording colour bars internally on the UBG2?

That's interesting...I don't think we have changed any settings.

I can record and playback both bars and tone, and I haven't had that change for the last few firmware updates. We mapped color bars to "F1" for convenience, but I get the same result when I manually turn on the color bars (on page 2 of the "Setup Menu").

Return to Cinematography